“Good choice!”

Old Street Youth Hostel
The Exotic Orient
“Good choice!”
Reviewed May 1, 2011

This hostel's location is excellent - very easy to find. It's right behind the Laojie (Old Street) stone archway, opposite a popular fine Chinese restaurant. Though it's on a busy pedestrian street, it's not noisy at all when you're in your room. The private ensuite rooms are beautifully decorated with oriental furnishings (unlike most other spartan-looking hostels).

The Hostel reception can book minivan transport (18 RMB per person for one way; leaves at 6.25 am from the hostel) to Tangkou where you can catch a special tourist bus (13 RMB) to any one of the 2 cable car stations. The front desk provides free walking sticks if you prefer to hike up Mt Huangshan. Staff service is ok with some nicer or more efficient than others. 2 PCs are placed near the lobby for guests' free use. This hostel seems rather popular (front desk is usually busy), probably due to its excellent location and fairly reasonable price. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mojacar, Spain
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We had a great stay here. Comfortable,clean and good help from the reception. Location the best. Cafe upstair could have been better. A bit dark and food not so good.
The restaurant over the road was great. Don't miss it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Frankfurt
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We booked the old street youth hostel based on trip advisor reviews. It was a great choice and are teenage companions loved it. We arrived late at night (11.30 p.m.) and the reception staff was extremely helpful and patient and organized a trip for us for next morning 6 a.m. to Yellow mountain. When we returned ( a bit exhausted) the kids loved hanging aorund the common area, playing pool billard, darts and using the free itnernet. We all enjoyed eating in the chinese restaurant opposite where we had a great range of food very reasonable priced. We felt cold the first night because we didn't figure out that the aircon system could also be used for heating . Take a walk along the river at sunset.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Wow, these guys are the best!

First, some tips: When you get to Huangshan airport, see if you can have a taxi arranged for pickup, because the taxi drivers will hustle you and absolutely refuse to use the meter. One family was there with a taxi driver for about 45 minutes insisting that he use the meter, and he refused. Eventually I noticed that they left, but I'm not sure who gave in, the taxi driver - or the family.

They asked me to pay Y100 for a Y20 ride. There is a limited number of taxis, so after 4 left with people who they hustled, I was there waiting for about 30 minutes with no cars and taxis around (see photo). The airport was also deserted, there were no workers to help. Some American-Chinese visitor offered his phone to call the hostel to pick me up, and here is where the hospitality starts.... the owner of the hostel himself came to pick me up free of charge.

Once I got there, he personally made sure the staff checked me in properly. When I saw the room, I was shocked. You're getting a cheap hostel rate, but you're getting the setting of a hotel (see photo). Everything was neat and clean. The location is also great, with lots of the old Chinese architecture from about the 1700s. If you're lucky, the blind man will be playing the flute which resonates and illuminates throughout the whole town. Also, there is a restaurant on the 2nd floor that serves 'Western' food if you're not into the Chinese food so much.

That night, I had so many questions about the different tours, options for transportation etc., and the owner was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO patient when I didn't understand. He also personally gave me a ride to a fancy fantastic performance about the history of Huangshan. 10 minutes into the performance I already wanted to see it again; and I think it was only Y150. Great music, great effects, great costumes, great acrobats. The name of the show is in Chinese so I don't know what its called, but ask the receptionists, they'll know.

The next day I was supposed to check out at 12pm, but completely forgot as I went to the mountains since 6am for a few hours and then to Hongcan (ancient town) and didn't get back until 6pm. Due to my ignorance, I had to pay for an extra night, but I asked the manager to help me out a bit and he did.

Honestly, the owner made me feel special and he was almost like a big brother. The hotel was great, the location was great and I totally recommend it; ...and this is coming from a picky person.

Only limitation is no wi-fi in the room; just in the main floor and 2nd floor where the restaurant is.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank ThanksForReplying
Sedona Arizona
Reviewed November 3, 2009

I have just made my reservation to return to Huangshan, China for the 3rd time in the last 15 months. I will be going for the Year of the Tiger celebration in early February 2010. Once again I will stay in Tunxi, at the Old Street Youth Hostel. On both of my prior visits, I have used this delightful, friendly, clean, and centrally located place as my primary home away from home. With a well trained, young & English speaking front desk, the staff is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Located in the Ancient Town district of Laojie, two blocks from the waterfront, this humble and cost effective establishment has made my prior visits to the Yellow Mountains seem like a homecoming.
When you need help making reservations for bus, train, or airplane tickets, they will make the arrangements for you, getting you the best prices and reliable, safe, & timely transportation. If you need a pedicab driver, taxi, or a ride to go to Mt. Huangshan, the silk factory, wish to catch a theatrical performance, or have a tour of the museum or tea shops, the staff becomes invaluable. From this place, I have been able to arrange trips to Beijng, Hongzhou, Shanghai, and to local villages like Hongcun or Xidi. I will always start my visit to this magical ancient civilization here. I have met travelers from over a dozen different nations each time I was there. Located in the Ancient town, there are numerous shops that are easily within walking distance in a safe and visitor friendly environment. Well worth the visit! I have stayed there a total of 9 weeks in my two stays in China. They have made me feel at home there, and have provided numerous tips and suggestions that have made Old Street Youth Hostel my desired choice of stay !
Also make sure to eat at First Floor Restaurant, directly across from the Hostel. You can see all the dishes on display before you order them, which is extremely helpful if you don't speak Mandarin. Foot massage is a five minute walk. You can watch silk being spun, jade being carved, artists painting fans and doing fine calligraphy in a place where the roots of Hui Culture and Ancient China can be experienced first hand. A great place to start your Chinese adventure, in the ancestral home of the Yellow Emperor.

2 Thank MalikAhmad
London
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This hostel is located right on the main shopping street in Tunxi. It is beautiful; the bar has a pool table and terrace overlooking the street and the rooms are up there with the best in China. The staff were friendly and the hostel has all the normal amenities, ie internet, laundry etc. Couldnt really fault the place to be honest.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Palma
Reviewed November 18, 2008

This is a very nice hostel with clean and spacious rooms and a big bar and common area where you can have a drink or play pool.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful . They will give you very good advice about how to prepare your visits to Huangsan mountain and surrounding area. Do not forget to order breakfast the night before you go to the mountain, they will prepare for you the next mornig before you leave for the mountain around 6.00am.
The hostel location is perfect, right in the old city centre where you will find a lot of interesting old buildings, plenty of shops and one of the best restaurants in the city just in front of the hostel gate!!!

• Liked — staff and location
  • Disliked — bathroom (ensuite and with no door)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelzoop