“Good choice for 2nd night”

Huangshan Baiyun Hotel
Ranked #159 of 493 Hotels in Huangshan
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We had stayed our first night at the Beihai Hotel and chose the Baiyun Hotel for our second night because of its location. We arrived at the Baiyun around lunch time and checked in. In the afternoon we walked the quiet and outstandingly beautiful Xiahi Grand Canyon to the Fairy Walking Bridge, returning before dinner. We were sorry the day had come to an end! Thunderstorms were closing in so there was no sunset watching. We didn’t see any tour groups on this section, so it was great to stay so close to it, allowing us to saunter along the path into the late afternoon. The next day we had the choice to descend either via the Western Steps on the Yuping cableway or via a relatively short walk back to the Yungu cableway. I would choose this hotel again because of the location.

After walking into our room, we asked for a room change. The bathroom was really dirty and toothpicks and papers were on the carpet in the room. The second room was cleaner, but the bathroom could benefit from some heavy duty cleaning. We appreciated the plastic slippers that were supplied which we wore when we showered.

For dinner, you order from a menu. This was better for us than the buffet at the Beihai Hotel the previous night. The food was adequate and plentiful and a bit better here than at the Beihai.

Room Tip: Arrive early enough that you can change your room if necessary
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Journeyer

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We had a good room facing the front. The amenities were modern and adequate with internet through the tv monitor. The staff were helpful. Unfortunately the weather was not favourable (rain predicted for the next 2 days) so we stayed for only one night. The pinewood furnishing/decor was cosy and roomy. We will be back in the future especially in the fall.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2011

After hiking up the long western steps and then dealing with less than wonderful signage to find anything once we reached the top, the sight of the Baiyun was very welcome. It's in a nice spot, just down the hill from a peak where you can see the sunrise (and probably sunset too, but we we missed that). And the lobby is really nice too. But the room was shabby and run down. We weren't expecting much, knowing that we were paying for the location and that the quality wouldn't be great, so we weren't really disappointed. . . plus we were so tired, we didn't really care!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alan25110
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The standard double room is comfortable and clean. The bed is firm and the air-conditioning works well. Bathroom facilities are well-maintained and hot water supply is not a problem. The hotel provides winter jackets to guests, which come in handy when the temperature drops substantially in the early mornings and late evenings. The hotel staff is competent and helpful.

The hotel is ideally located to view both sunrise & sunset. Both are about a twenty minutes walk from the hotel. The location is the biggest draw of the hotel in my opinion and it is definitely money well-spent.

There is only one other food venue around the hotel so you are likely to have dinner at the hotel. The food is fine but it is more expensive than similar places you will visit in China.

The hotel is almost a hour walk from the cable-car station so for those of you travelling independently, you are well-advised to pack light and leave the rest of your luggage at the entry of the Huangshan Scenic Area (there is a luggage deposit area). You should bring along a torch as you will need one to make your way to the sunrise spot.

Room Tip: Book early in advance, especially in peak seasons.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank simonjw0807
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My expectations were not high - the location perched on top of Huangshan has its limitations. That said this hotel was very good. On my previous visit to Huangshan (which proves the memory of pain does fade with time) I stayed at the Jade Screen Hotel - this one is much better. Well located if you want to take the Taiping Telpher and do the Xihai trek. (West Canyon) The Japanese style rooms were quite new, very clean, and the bedding crisp and warm. Ate at the restaurant - food ok - but again, you adjust your expectations for the location and an appreciation of the logistics of catering. My photos include an interesting provision in the room.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank xingming
Reviewed May 20, 2011

If you're planning on staying on top of Huangshan, you will already have a good idea of how much a trek it will be to get up there. Now consider that all of the hotels will have been built by carrying the building materials up a hill and will be serviced by the same means. Some things had to give - and clearly (and understandably) this includes less important things like good sound insulation. Also considering the altitude, the hotel is also normally cooler and can get more damp, although this wasn't the case when I visited.

I stayed in the main building, and whilst the bed was clean enough the bathroom was quite dirty and really in need of refurbishment. My room looked into the "courtyard" which was in fact the roof of the restaurant, so wasn't quiet. Nor indeed were my neighbours.

Nearly all of the hotels I was looking at were 900RMB, so this isn't going to be a factor to swing where you stay. What probably will swing it is the reputation or location. Most of the recommendations on the tripadvisor and lonelyplanet forums recommend Baiyun, which is why I chose it. My LP guide book suggested that Beihai Hotel is the leader. There is one with a building site nearby (I think it was Shilin hotel) so maybe that will bring a fresh option.

Baiyun Hotel is almost at the top of the Western Steps, and next to the start of the Western Canyon path, which the tour groups avoid. As it is suggested to go up the Eastern Steps (or cable car) and down the Western Steps I decided to plan for a hotel nearer the western end, so that I could arrive here having walked round most of the top. This hotel is also very close to Bright Peak. If you are getting up to watch the sunrise (and why wouldn't you?) then be aware that there is another hotel there and so you are going to be surrounded by other tourists. I found it easier to turn right out of the hotel and go up to Turtle Rock, where there are fewer people and I think a nicer view.

The restaurant was adequate but beware breakfast finishes at 8.30am. This caught me out - whatever you're doing on the mountain you would be better not doing it on an empty stomach.

In summary, this hotel was perfectly adequate, particularly given its location on top of the hill, but if I return I can't think I'd automatically choose this place. It is worth its recommendation though as somewhere functional.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank reevery
Reviewed May 5, 2011

we stayed in a double room ensuite. it was expensive (900 rmb per night), but it was all worth it. after a long day of hiking, we were back to hot showers. they offered toiletries, had two warm coats in the closet, and two umbrellas - in case we needed. we did! although it was summer, leaving for sunrise at 4 am was cold, and we made use of the coats.

• Stayed: August 2010