“Well worth the money but pay up from in US $ to save”

Tierra Atacama Hotel & Spa
Ottawa, Canada
“Well worth the money but pay up from in US $ to save”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We just spent 5 nights at Tierra Atacama. Just an amazing experience!!! We have traveled the world and this place offered us one of the best all round experiences. At first we were slightly put off by the price - but honestly, you get your money's worth. The setting is beautiful. Rooms comfortable. All meals and drinks (anytime of the day) included. Professional staff. A large number of trips with great guides on option. So what advice can I offer you? First, 4 or 5 nights a must - otherwise, you will just not get to go on many excursions. Second, do the Tara full day trip but give yourself time to acclimatise before doing it - the high pass is 15,000 feet. Third, we loved many of the hikes - would suggest one in the AM and one later in the afternoon with a rest by the pool in the middle. Third, and perhaps most importantly, if you pay in US $$$ you do not get charged the 19% country tax - a major savings.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DuxieCanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Park City, Utah
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was my second trip to SanPedro, but my first stay at the Tierra Atacama, but it won't be my last! I love the area so much that I brought two friends to experience the wonder of the desert with me. We stayed 5 nights, and loved every day we were there. They were in complete awe when we first arrived at the hotel. The setting, the architecture, the warm reception from the staff, and the delicious meals were only the beginning. Each exploration was extremely well planned and explained. We loved the enthusiasm and knowledge of our guides, and the small groups. They showed me areas that I had never seen on my previous visit. After hiking for several hours, we looked forward to our relaxing time in the beautiful pool and jacuzzi.
The entire time we spent at Tierra Atacama was a unique and wonderful experience. When we departed, it felt like we were leaving our special newly made friends.
We felt like the price was totally reasonable with all of the inclusions, and a very good value.
Sharon F
Park City, Utah

Room Tip: There are two types of rooms, and they are both excellent, with plenty of space, nice views and even...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

It's our 3rd day of a 5 night stay.Yes it is expensive,but to get the full experence of the Atacama desert it is worth every cent.Driving thru San Pedro a couple of times a day seeing the alternative there is little comparison expect Explora which is much more expensive.We have done a number of excursions,horse riding to Death Valley,amazing,no experience necessary as you can just slowly go along as the horse gently walks.Then in the afternoon we went to see the flamingos at sunset at the salt lake,very good.Today in the morning we went to the thermal pools for a swim,fantastic.It takes about 45 min in a hotel van with driver and guide for most of these except the horse riding which started at the hotel.This afternoon we did the cacti valley hike.OMG not a hike more canyoning it was hard work!But it was beautiful,what an experience.It was one of those you enjoy latter on,not on the day!So tomorrow's excursion has been cancelled,we need a rest day by the beautiful pool,spa and maybe a massage.Food and wine included both excellent.By the time you add up the accommodation which is beautiful (May need a little maintanace) the excursions with great drivers and informative guides,food and wine,it is worth it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed January 28, 2014

As I've said in other reviews, my husband and I have travelled all over the world and stayed in many, many hotels. I'm a clean freak, so I'm very picky about accommodations. What many might call a "5" I'm likely to call a "3". This hotel, however, totally deserves a 5 star rating! We loved it!

The rooms are very lovely, spacious and clean, with well-functioning air conditioning (a must because it gets so hot there during the day!). The bathrooms are clean, modern and functional, and have outdoor (but still very private) showers where you can clean off while enjoying the fresh air and, at night, a great view of the stars!

There is a nice spa on site with an outdoor infinity pool and hot tub and a large, heated indoor pool. My husband and I both had nice massage treatments there.

The main "house" includes the front desk, bar and restaurant. The staff is outstanding and the food even better. It is delicious and creative, with something different at each sitting and appropriately-sized portions. There was always a choice between the meat, fish or vegetarian options, with terrific starters and desserts, too. Breakfast is buffet-style and plentiful.

We took several excursions offered by the hotel and found them very well organized and well-executed, with friendly, knowledgeable guides. They even bring along snacks and drinks! Oh, and the hotel is located fairly close to the little nearby town of San Pedro. You can easily walk there or take a short bike trip on bicycles kindly provided by the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, and will definitely look at staying at their sister property in Patagonia one day!

Room Tip: The ones I saw all appeared to be pretty similar, but I assume that the ones further away from the m...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bondi, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is an overdue review for our stay in August 2013. We stayed for 5 nights (all inclusive) and also got a night at the ritz carlton Santiago included.

We ummmed and ahhhhd whether the price tag would be worth it but in the end we think it was. As soon as we walked into the hotel we loved the setting, and were further impressed with the lovely rooms, fantastic excursions and wonderful staff. We had looked at the excursions we wanted to do prior to arriving on the hotels website (worth doing) and never felt pressured to do anything other than exactly what we wanted. In fact, most of our excursions ended up being private.

The great:
- cocktails by a fire pit watching the sunset on a volcano and stargazing
- beautiful rooms (Clare called it 5-star rustic). Lovely outdoor shower, views of volcano.
- great food and wine (the chef even cooked me up a toasted sandwich when I was hungry one day after an early start)
- nice pool (although too cold for our visit in winter)
- incredible excursions by amazing guides (in particular Danillo who was friendly, fun, knowledgable and caring) - see below for the exclusions we did
- private outdoor hot tub (need to reserve this) with candles, chocolates etc looking out to the volcano
- a hands-on general manager who made sure our stay was fantastic

The not-so-great
- we really can't come up with anything!

Our exclusions (which we loved!):
- 3hr horseback ride through a gorgeous canyon (we were even treated to a surprise bottle of red halfway through to celebrate Clare's birthday)
- bicycle to salt lake for a swim - great fun cycling thought dessert (we had to laugh at our 'support vehicle' trailing us the whole way) and then being spoilt by armchairs, drinks and snacks on arrival. Water was freezing but floating was fun. Half day.
- geysers (I think everyone does this tour and it is great). The longest drive we had to do and early start. Full day.
- moon valley half day walk. Beautiful.
- climb toco volcano - Ok, this was MUCH harder than expected and we didn't quite make the peak but it was still a stunning view and great experience to climb so high.
- hike to hot springs, half day.

Room Tip: We loved our dessert facing room with just the shower (the other ones get a bath but not the view)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Chile to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We fell in love with Chile and hope to explore the south on our next visit (Patagonia). We spent 3 nights in Tierra Atacama and really enjoyed it. The hotel is beautiful and just blends into the desert surroundings - the views are breathtaking and the excursions are great. I would suggest to review the menu of excursions available in advance of your visit - there's lots to do and see depending on your level of interest. I had a massage at the spa which was quite lovely - the only complaint was that there was some construction going on in spa, right above my massage room so it was difficult to just relax given all the banging - but i believe this is why they were having a promotion of 15% massages. Perhaps better if they scheduled massages when the work was not going on. The massage itself was wonderful and the spa facilities are beautiful. On booking the hotel, I made mention that it was our anniversary and on the first night they sent us a bottle of champagne and cheese and crackers,which was lovely. On making the reservation, they said we could have organize a couples hot tub overlooking the mountains but upon check in they never mentioned it I also never asked as I hadn't seen the secluded hot tub until the morning we were leaving the hotel. The hotel staff are friendly and very accommodating. We really enjoyed the food and the wine and our tour guides.
My one recommendation to the hotel, given the one hour travel to/from airport, i would suggest that the drivers have a cooler with water to provide guests with, especially given the heat.
We enjoyed our stayed and our hike to Toco!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I read all the reviews carefully before booking this hotel and looked at a Relais and Chateaux hotel nearby before choosing Tierra Atacama (in part because we stayed in their sister hotel Tierra Patagonia which is incredible). Firstly i would like to say a huge thank you to the head manager Juan and to Max the head tour operator (negative reviews about him are totally unjustified). I stayed in the hotel with my wife and son and i can't say that we were the easiest of customers as my wife wanted to do some individual tours (like sand boarding etc) and Max was absolutely amazing in organizing everything for us.

I think that perhaps people have some rather 'pernickty' comments to make about the hotel because they probably think that the hotel is 5 star, have paid a lot and so everything should be much better especially the service at meal times (really friendly staff and they try hard but sometimes it looked as if they were slightly clueless). In my mind the hotel is an excellent 4 star hotel, perhaps 5 star without some of the service that you would receive at the Ritz in Paris or the Four Season in New York.

So back to reviewing the hotel. We had a wonderful time and want to say a really big thank you to everyone there. Amazing organization of all the tours, great drivers and guides. Wonderful rooms (I would definetly recommend the lower rooms on the left hand side which are much more private), delicious food and stylish spa and swimming pool. We really didn't want to leave when we had to.

The best trip we did was to the Salar de Tarra which is a beautiful wilderness, with lots of flamingoes and lunch. It is quite high up at 4,900 metres and so consider that before you choose that one. There are also less people there that you would see at the Giesers, Hot springs etc.

Thank you Tierra Atacama for giving us a holiday of lifetime.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family