All reviews alternative menu indoor pool hot springs salt flats altiplanic lagoons chilli all inclusive package restaurant staff high altitude san pedro knowledgeable guides el tatio geysers the general manager unique experience luxury hotel every guest the hotel manager
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed at the Tierra Atacama for 3 nights after 5 nights in Santiago.

It was marvelous. San Pedro de Atacama is a unique place.

The hotel staff was very kind, the room is huge and modern (despite the rustic decoration). The way they execute the excursions is very good: instead of being in a tight bus with a lot of unknown people, you have a very exclusive service.

But, for the price you pay, you would expect perfection and it was not.

1. At the arrival, you have a briefing on the excursions. We were under the impression the guy was trying to lead us to choose the popular ones instead of the ones we really wanted to go. At the last day, we noticed he lied to us on the options and we have missed the Hot springs.
2. The wi-fi speed is ridiculous
3. The bath need some improvement. When having shower, the bathroom gets flooded.
4. We have been charged USD 5 for a power outlet adapted that worth 50c... Even at Ibis, where we stayed in Santiago, you can borrow for free.
5. We have booked the Observatory for the last night, but it was broken. It is ok, but the problem they only advised us at the last minute. Luckily we could arrange by our own the SPACE observatory, by the way, you should not miss it!
6. The food is bellow average. Few and complex options of preheated food. They should simplify the things... Also, if their model is based on a preheated, it is better to have the buffet instead of menu.
7. It is far from the downtown. Not the 15 minutes they advise, but 25-30 minutes walking on dirt roads.

Again, I might be too surly, but for the price of this hotel, I would expect nothing less than perfection. I would stay there again, but not before looking at similar options.

Date of stay: March 2013
1  Thank Vcmazzei
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here! Our room was lovely, rustic style with a huge comfy bed and great views.
Bathroom too was great, particularly liked the plentiful supply of L'Occitaine toiletries. Towels & robes were luxurious, and the outside shower amazing!
Enjoyed the chocolates and bedtime stories too!
Magical to walk out of our room each morning and see a family of Owls in the tree.
Food and drinks were good and plentiful, one waitress was a little slow, but we assumed she was new,other staff were brilliant.
We enjoyed the tours, especially Rainbow Valley and the rock carvings, which was a driver, my husband and I. Tatio geysers were fab too, shall never forget the hot chocolate heated to perfection in a geyser, and so welcome. A hot drink and snacks were served before we left- a nice touch!
All in all a great stay!
Didn't use the Spa. we thought it a little expensive.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Valdes_Paula, Gerente at Tierra Atacama Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the little touches that we have to try and make our guests feel as “at home” and comfortable as possible. Whilst we do charge for spa therapies, use of all the facilities IS included in the rates, so it is possible to enjoy the heated pool, bubble beds, water jets, Jacuzzi, sauna and outdoor pool for free. We’re also pleased you enjoyed the excursions and the “magic” of the Atacama as well, and hope to welcome you back one day!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed for 3 days and 2 nights. On hindsight a tad short. We had a very good experience in this hotel. The staff right from the F&B, front desk, bell to housekeeping provided remarkable services throughout. Response time was quick and this being the driest place on earth, hotel was at pains to ensure more then adequate availability of treated drinking water. The excursions were well planned, guides knowledgible and helpful. We would recommend for those on a tight timeline like us to cover El Tatio geysers, Salar Atacama, Valley de Luna... and maybe a nice evening stroll at San Pedro town itself (a must do - albeit underrated). The hotel is well located, just a 15 min walk to san pedro, 30 mins drive from Valley de Luna and 45 mins drive to Salar de Atacama. The view from hotel lobby was stunning especially for the great sunsets. And on the whole the hotel was well designed to blend into the local environment.

Some minor negatives - I don't understand why the hotel could provide like a shuttle service to town. Although it was a 15min walk. but it could get dusty and hot afterall this is a dessert. The food while imaginative and adequate - looked and sounded better then it tasted. The rooms were adequate albeit somewhat spartan for the price we are paying.

On the whole I would recommend this hotel.

Room tip: All rooms face the volcanoes and andes. But request for those closer to the main building or it could end up quite a hike to your room.
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Guest – we are glad our team were able to make your stay a great success. We also appreciate your constructive criticism regarding the journey to San Pedro, we do normally have a vehicle available to take guests too and from the village, although it is not a fixed shuttle service, and can always arrange a reasonably priced taxi service (USD 10 aprox) should our guests need it. Thanks again for writing and I will make sure the staff are aware that their services were appreciated!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Lovely rooms - all with volvano and Andes views. Staff excellent and great trips to all local areas- Valley of the moon, `death valley, the salt flats , the geysers and the high altitude lagoons.Pedro is the best driver but they are all good. Staff very helpful. We had a medical problem and we with a doctor within an hour. Food excellent and plenty of choice - vegetarian options by request. Plenty of fruit, fish and veg as well as meat which is a big achievement in this area. New in room wifi a big treat. Paola the manager runs an excellent hotel.
Good spa - with in and out door pools.
Good transfers to and from Calama airport.
Ask for a room on lower level for best rooms.

Room tip: Ask for room on lower level for best rooms. All rooms have fans, aircon and heating so great place year round.
Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments and we’re pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at Tierra Atacama. We try to ensure that all our guests have a wonderful time, and we’re happy that you enjoyed our services and the local area during your visit to this magical part of the world!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is another long overdue review. I stayed at the Tierra Atacama for five nights as part of a Atacama sojourn. Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the resort, but there are a couple of exceptions as I noted above.

What I Liked

I cannot say enough about the guides for this hotel. I took advantage of all the daily tours on offer, and I must say that the guides offered were top notch. All the guides were extremely knowledgeable, tremendously friendly, and had wonderful senses of humor. Because of the duration of my stay, I had at least three different guides for the various excursions, and while they all had different styles, they all did fantastic jobs. Even the driver who took us to and from the airport made the journey entertaining and informative. Kudos to the Tierra Atacama team for contracting and/or hiring very strong guides.

Also, even though it was high season at the resort due to South American winter holidays, the number of guests on each excursion was relatively low. On half of the excursions, my sister and I were the only people, making for a individualized experience set at my own pace.

Guest rooms and facilities were all top notch. The modernist, minimalist design ethos is even spread throughout the resort, from the central reception areas and spa to the individual guest rooms. Everything is very well designed and contemporary, while not feeling cold or uninviting.

The spa was very nice and hot highly utilized during my stay, making it a great respite. Spa services were very reasonable priced, and the therapists were good. I really enjoyed the heated indoor pool.

What Could Use Improvement

The food at the resort was well prepared, however, the service in the dining room was usually somewhat scattered. This could be because it was high season the and resort had a relatively high volume of guests. I noticed that as the volume of guests decreased over the week, the dining room service improved. However, it did lead to a couple of nights of dining frustration, as some times I didn't know who my server was or when my order would be taken.

Another irritant, and this isn't something necessarily that the hotel can control, was the sheer volume of children and teenagers running relatively uncontrolled throughout the resort. I understand that it was school holidays, and they wanted the children to enjoy themselves, but it seemed somewhat too tilted toward indulging the younger guests. Almost every night during my stay, children were allowed to run through the dining room, often bare foot, talking in very loud voices. The spa, which should be a respite from the little ones, was often over run with children playing in the indoor heated pool. I would recommend setting aside specific "adults only" areas and enforcing some standards at dinner so that everyone could enjoy themselves.

What I Would Recommend

Take advantage of as many of the excursions as you can, since these are the highlights of the stay and Tierra Atacama has some exceptional guides.

Date of stay: June 2012