just returned from a 5 night stay at awasi. what a fabulous experience! awasi is an unusual property - a luxury hotel in the small town of san pedro de Atacama in northern Chile. awasi has only 8 very comfortable and attractive rooms, and each room has its own guide/driver so your visit can be as private as you like. if you are looking for top of the line experience - the best accommodations, highest quality of service, and completely personalized touring and activities - then awasi is for you.
we traveled to awasi by flying from santiago to calama (the closest airport to san pedro) where we were met by our guide, Jorge. it is about a 75 to 90 minute drive from calama to san pedro. our first afternoon, we settled in and got accustomed to our surroundings; our real adventure began the next day.
the hotel is physically beautiful. the public space is open with lots of different areas, and decorated with local art and artifacts. we stayed in a superior round room. the bed and linens were very comfortable. the bathroom was enormous - we had two sinks, a bathtub, an indoor shower, an outdoor shower (too cold for the outdoor shower, though) and a private patio. there was plenty of space to unpack and hang clothes or put in drawers or on shelves. there is a turndown service every evening, and each night we received a little gift and story from the area.
the restaurant is remarkable. I know others have written that the food is not up to relais and chateaux standards, but we enjoyed everything we ate. my husband and I each have some dietary restrictions, about which we advised the hotel before we arrived. these limitations were deliciously and carefully observed during our stay. each night the chef offers a special menu, but if you don't want what he has offered, the restaurant staff is quick to tell you that you can order anything you want: beef, chicken, pasta, etc. we usually followed the chef's suggestions but sometimes tweaked it to meet our personal preferences. honestly, everything was delicious. and I cannot rave enough about the restaurant staff. our wish was their command. there was no request too large or small. breakfast is a buffet as well as hot dishes made to order. we had lunch in some days and out on the road one day. also breakfast one day at the geysers.
the outings were tailored to our interests. we started slowly because of the altitude, but we took hikes, went on a bike ride, visited the high salt lakes, and the geysers. one of the highlights was the stargazing. you have never seen a sky like the Atacama sky.
the trip was one of the best we have ever taken. and we enjoyed it from start to finish. what really set it apart, aside from the incredible physical beauty of the area, though was the service. everyone at awasi made us believe that our happiness, satisfaction, and comfort was their primary concern. it is truly the best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury lodge located in the Atacama Desert, Chile. Only property in the region to be an affiliate of Relais & Chateaux. With only 10 ample rooms, we provide tailor-made experiences, assigning a private guide and a 4x4 vehicle to each room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz and World Independent Hotel Promotion so you can book your Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Awasi Hotel San Pedro De Atacama
- Awasi San Pedro De Atacama
- Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux San Pedro De Atacama, Chile