This is a delayed review as my family and I traveled to Atacama in May of 2012. It was a delightful experience. We were sad to end our journey to Chile, but even sadder to bid goodbye to Awasi. It was a superb stay. Without a doubt, Awasi earns its stripes as a Relais and Chateaux property and does quite well when compared to its counterparts in other continents. We were impressed by Awasi’s dedication to Atacamian architecture, Altiplano culinary traditions mixed with modern touches, and a relaxed, but attentive hospitality. We had high culinary expectations based on prior reviews, but Awasi met those withstanding the benchmark set by our prior dining experience at Lapostolle in Colchagua valley. Awasi handled our families’ varied dietary preferences with aplomb. Our family opted for the two round rooms enclosed within the same courtyard offering us common outdoor space and privacy. Our round suite was large and well appointed with Atacamian touches; I would prefer if possible, a bit more light in the room at night. The turndown service is unique and I looked forward to the bedtime Atacamian story left on our pillow nightly. Overall, the staff was warm, welcoming, and quite accommodating.
Our daily excursions were private, tailored to our interests and led by very knowledgeable guides Jorge Cornate Fernandez and Gonzalo Dominguez. One of the highlights was the stargazing/astronomy lesson/telescope viewing with Jorge. This close up view of the planets and stars was supplemented with cheese and wine. It was one of my most memorable moments on this trip to Chile. Our excursions allowed for panoramic and unparalleled views of the volcanoes, salt flats, lagoons, wildlife; but the drive to the altiplanic lakes (over 4000 meters in altitude) was decidedly the highlight of our excursions. After undertaking similar trips elsewhere in the world, we were convinced that these two men are very knowledgeable and represent Awasi very well. Do allow yourself a day or two to acclimate to the altitude before undertaking the more strenuous excursions. It was cold at night at the end of may and pleasant during the daytime in the lower altitudes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury lodge located at the Atacama Desert, Chile. Only property in the region to be an affiliate of Relais & Chateaux. With only 8 ample rooms, we provide tailor made experiences, assigning a private guide and a 4x4 vehicle to each cottage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Awasi Hotel San Pedro De Atacama
- Awasi San Pedro De Atacama
- Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux San Pedro De Atacama, Chile