“Fantastic”

Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is a great place to stay. From the moment we arrived, the staff did everything they could to make this a remarkable holiday. The excursions are first class and individual - no going out in a mini bus with other guests. The food is great, the wine, the rooms....... We were very lucky that the hotel was not full, so there was no noise from other rooms. And the rooms in the main part of the building seem better than the others.
My only complaint.......I think staying at the Awasi spoilt us for the rest of our South American trip.

Room Tip: Pick a round room in the main part of the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
AwasiAtacama, Manager at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback on the property.

Must be honest with you (and everyone else reading this): Our TOP SECRET MISSION IS definitely to spoil you for the next part of your trips throughout. From reading your comment I can confirm that our mission has been COMPLETED.

On another note, I would say that even if the hotel was fully booked during your stay with us, it sure would not have made a difference in the noise from the other rooms. Since, the Round Villas are separated from each other you are guaranteed privacy and the feel of being in your own home.

The entire Awasi family sends their regards and we just hope to be able to open our doors once again to you. Maybe, you can experience our newest project at the Chilean Patagonia. An exclusive Awasi Reserve right outside of the Torres del Paine National Park.

Awasi

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Came to Awasi particularly to view the stars. Unfortunately the clouds and rain made this impossible. Then my husband lost his Rolex and I broke my glasses! Inspite of this Awasi was an amazing experience. Our guide, Paolo, was fun and knowledgable. The excursions were incredible, my very challenging dietary requirements handled effortlessly and the whole experience truly magical. Who needs stars and a Rolex and glasses? Well maybe the glasses would be useful.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

Well, sounds like you definitely had an interesting time at the Atacama Desert. Rain is not a norm on this part of the World...I mean, this area is known to be "The Driest Desert in the World", and for good reason.

We are so glad to hear that all turned out well. Paolo, sends his regards and hopes to be able to show you and your husband even more of the Atacama on your next trip.

Please stay tuned for updates on our newest project in the Chilean Patagonia. We are building a reserve right outside the National Park in Torres del Paine.

Awasi

Reviewed January 18, 2013

What can I possibly say about AWASI hotel? First of all, it is NOT a hotel in the literal sense of the word. If you look up the word “hotel” in the dictionary, you will find something like: “an establishment that provides lodging, meals and other services.” Well, I would agree with that until Tuesday of this week (January 15th) when I arrived at AWASI in San Pedro de Atacama, Chile. AWASI is definitely NOT a hotel. It is a LIFE EXPERIENCE. And this may make AWASI the best hotel in the world. AWASI blew me away from the moment I was picked up by Esteban and Paulo (my personal tour guide) to the moment I was dropped off at the airport by Edwin and Macarena (the manager). Right after my arrival, on our trip from Calama to San Pedro de Atacama, we listened to (great) music in the (great) car and Paulo and I decided how we wanted to manage my four days there. The plan was specially developed for me. And I did only what I wanted because I was alone with my guide at all times. I told Paulo that I would like to see as much as I could even though I was a little pressed for time. So we mixed fantastic landscape and pure contemplation with some other activities like hiking and swimming. And every day, after all the intense activities there were great meals waiting for me at the hotel, which is a member of Relais & Chateaux. In fact, if you do not want to stop eating, you do not have to. AWASI team is very worried about feeding you and feeding you well. And even though they say lunch on the first and last days are not included I had lunch on both days (a great salad on the first day and a sandwich, muffins and pineapple juice on the second one) and was not charged any extra. The team is also very satisfied about working there. Paulo told many times how AWASI gives him everything that he needs in order to work well. And they actually look that way – especially the people I was surrounded by more often: Macarena Suárez, Paulo Duran Miranda and Son (restaurant hostess whose last name I don’t know). I really have to highlight the work of Macarena Suárez and Paulo Duran Miranda. Macarena Suárez will do everything that she can to make you feel at home. And Paulo is not really a tour guide. He is more like a guardian angel. Both Macarena and Paulo have travelled to many countries, speak many languages and have great life experience. I felt safe with Paulo all the time because he knows the area very well, is a great driver and can do many other things. Sometimes, I called him MacGyver. I went alone but left with many friends. After all that, it was really hard to say good bye. I hope I will be able to return someday. To all the team, my most sincere thanks. I loved it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EricaRodriguesFontes
AwasiAtacama, Director General at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Ms. Rodrigues,

Thank you very much for such a precise way of describing us!
In fact, we agree with you: We never really wanted to be called just a "Hotel", since we really try to be much more than just that. Our real goal is to become an indelible imprint in our guests' hearts.
You were truly able to embody our essence and the soul of Awasi where you understand what we are trying to provide: A real life experience! Certainly Ms. Rodrigues you placed “The Cherry on Top” by stating “…AWASI the best hotel in the world”. This truly makes us happy and sends us over the moon with joy as we are glad to see our efforts paid off.
The entire team remembers you as you were just with us a few days ago and your great personality will be highly regarded of.

It has truly been a pleasure to not only serve you but welcome you to our home. From now on, this home is also yours as well. Let us show you around again at Awasi Patagonia which will be open by year´s end.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stay 6 nights here. It's not too much, asked my wife. No. Thanks to our world class guide (Mabel) we discover the hidden treasures of the Atacama Desert and the surrounding "Volcanos". Fabulous! The only problem there is the altitude (4.000-5.000 meters) of the most beautiful excursions. The hotel itself is amazing with a great staff. The food is adapted to the altitude, I mean light. But absolutely delicious.

Room Tip: Only 8 rooms, all on the floor. We stay in a rectangular room (Number 6= quiet, excellent)

Dear Henri H,

Well, after spending some time with Mabel she certainly remembers you and your wife well.
She sends her warmest regards and hopes to be able to show you much more around the desert.
Although, you were there for what we like to call “optimal time duration”, there is always more and more to see. I think that is definitely what makes the Atacama so intriguing and leaves you with this feeling of “endless discovery”.

Hopefully, we can welcome you for another 6 nights in our upcoming Awasi Patagonia Lodge. Stay tuned for more details, but we are aiming to open by the end of this year (approximately by October 2013).

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent 3 nights here as part of a 2 week Chilean trip. We heard about it from Andrew Harper's Hideaway report (he just named in 2013 Hideaway of the Year--for good reason). Spectacular food and service--staff don't know the word "no", whether it was related to food requests, excursions, you name it. They even set up a traditional Chilean dinner and wine pairing for us one night where the chef prepared six small courses of local food. Key aspect of the Lodge is the private guide and driver--one assigned for each room. No issues with groups, different pace, etc. And our guide (Santiago) was amazing and really shared his love of the beyond-description land. Everything here was A++++. We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Room 3 and 5 are a little larger

Dear Joe,

Great to read your review!
During your staying in Atacama you mentioned that you and your wife have learned about Awasi through Andrew Harper.
We definitely feel very happy to see how much you were able to appreciate our concept and that you agreed with Andrew Harper's opinion.
Now, you only spent 3 nights with us? I am sure that you must be wishing for a bit more time, right? Given that there is just so much for us to show you, we would love to be able to welcome you once more. Hopefully, for a couple more nights alongside a trip to our newest property at the Chilean Patagonia where you will be able to see the two extremes of Chile. There, we will also be able to delight you with the local cuisine enjoyed at the Patagonia with a great wine tasting menu as well.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We decided on a desert adventure for Thanksgiving and had a truly wonderful time at Awasi. We are a family of 4 - with two girls (ages 9 and 13). The first two nights of our stay were in a large room in the part of the property near reception and the last two nights were in two round rooms connected by a common courtyard near the pool. Initially my wife was concerned about having the girls in their own room, but the staff came up with a terrific solution to make us all comfortable and I would strongly recommend the two-room arrangement for other families. The rooms are very comfortable and service, as many have said, is very, very good - professional but very friendly. Food was excellent, and we especially enjoyed the changing daily specials. To cap it off are the excursions, which are very thoughtfully put together. There was simply nothing to worry about - it was all about enjoying the spectacular settings and experiences in the Atacama. Nothing was too much trouble, and everything could be tailored as we wished. The star-gazing tour was a real highlight. As was the trip up to the geysers. (We ended up staying there quite a long time, and eventually had the hot springs almost to ourselves.) And so was just sitting by the fire pit at night with the girls and hot chocolate or Bailey's. We also enjoyed that the hotel is right in town, which made it very easy to step out and explore. Awasi is not an inexpensive choice, but it was absolutely worth it and I would make the same choice again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong. All the rooms are beautiful. For a family with children, I would re...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sawwah87
AwasiAtacama, Director General at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Family,

Thank you so much for comment !!

Seems like you were one of the lucky ones to get a chance to experience a personalized star-gazing tour. We are dependent on the lunar climate and as it happens, and during your time with us, Jorge was able to showcase his expertise on the subject matter. Fascinating night, for sure!

Glad your Thanksgiving of 2012, was shared with us – We are thankful for that. Maybe, your Thanksgiving of 2013 can be spent at Awasi Patagonia?? Stay tuned for more details but it would be an honor to spend another Thanksgiving with you and your family and even more exciting, at our newest location.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I cannot begin to describe what a brilliant time we had at Awasi, but this is what i told the management when we left:

In short I don't believe I have ever felt so well looked after. Whether we were out on a trip or enjoying the facilities at Awasi, we always felt that we could ask for anything and that all the staff were already thinking of our every need - and coupled with the exceptional surrounding of the Atacama desert this made for a truly exceptional time.

Accommodation - this exceeded our expectations. Our room was spacious, beautifully designed and very well equipped. The public areas were also larger than your website suggested, providing a very private atmosphere, we never felt crowded by the other guests.

Excursions - Cristobal was the best guide we have ever had on this type of holiday. He was informative, friendly, patient and fun to be with. There was not a question he could not answer about the things we saw - and he understood our needs very well and planned perfect trips. He also showed us more interesting aspects of the places we visited than other guides and always had brilliant timing to take us away from the crowds and make even busy places feel private.

Restaurant - the chef is a genius to produce such interesting and sophisticated food in a setting like San Pedro. I particularly enjoyed the daily specials for lunch which show cased regional cuisine. The wine selection was also a real pleasure, with very knowledgable staff. All the people running the restaurant were a delight.

Room Tip: Drink lots of water while you are there.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your wonderful description of your experience with us. For someone, who mentions that they “cannot begin to describe what a brilliant time we had at Awasi”, you sure did a great job doing so.

Cristobal sends his regards and is glad that you enjoyed your time out on the expeditions.
We always try to take our guests to places that are truly “off the beaten path” but there are those places that are “must-see” spots, which everyone has on their bucket list, so we are bound to see other souls around.

It is such a delight to see you also enjoyed your accommodations and the restaurant.

We truly cannot wait to also exceed your expectations when you visit us again but this time at Awasi Patagonia. Hope we welcome you soon!

Warmest regards,