My wife and I spent 5 nights at The Awasi at the very end of March 2012. We both enjoyed our stay immensely. In fact, even after 5 nights we could have easily spent a couple more days.
We had a Superior Round room so it was spacious and elegant in a rustic “hut” sort of way. I was particularly amused that not only the bedroom was round, but the bathroom, walk in closet, shower and toilet room were also round and each topped with a thatched roof. We also had a private outdoor living area and another separate sunning area with outdoor shower. Note that there is no AC in the rooms or anyplace else at Awasi. While this might sound like a complaint, it is actually a positive as the dry climate and cool evenings make it unnecessary. This means you do not need to listen to any of them running or be subject to their draughts.
We enjoyed all of our meals at Awasi.
Both food and drink was top notch. We had excellent professional, yet casual and friendly service. We always looked forward to our next meal.
The excursions are of course a highlight as you have your own guide assigned to you for the length of your stay. On longer trips or trips where you are dropped of and picked up after a hike… you also have a driver as well as your guide. Most of our excursions were in large king cab pickup trucks which provide for plenty of space and also a good ride on some of the rough roads. We enjoyed all of our excursions and found our guide helpful and knowledgeable. We did a total of 6 excursions. All were good in their own way. The highlight of the Atacama is not any specific sight, but rather a phenomenal sense of space, limitless visibility and the stunning quality of the light.
It would be pretty easy to stay at Awasi and not even visit San Pedro de Atacama what with all the fine food and excursions, but we made time and enjoyed the little adobe oasis on the backpacker circuit. I can’t think of any other place I have been that is quite like it.
So, overall this is one of the finest and most enjoyable places we have every stayed. If you pressed me I could list a few negatives… but they were so minor in the overall context that to mention them would be petty. The Awasi is pretty darn expensive. Most everyone who posts here says it is worth it, but I’ll amend that to say if you can afford it, it is worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury lodge located at the Atacama Desert, Chile. Only property in the region to be an affiliate of Relais & Chateaux. With only 8 ample rooms, we provide tailor made experiences, assigning a private guide and a 4x4 vehicle to each cottage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Awasi Hotel San Pedro De Atacama
- Awasi San Pedro De Atacama
- Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux San Pedro De Atacama, Chile