“The light”

Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux
New Jersey, USA
“The light”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 nights at The Awasi at the very end of March 2012. We both enjoyed our stay immensely. In fact, even after 5 nights we could have easily spent a couple more days.

We had a Superior Round room so it was spacious and elegant in a rustic “hut” sort of way. I was particularly amused that not only the bedroom was round, but the bathroom, walk in closet, shower and toilet room were also round and each topped with a thatched roof. We also had a private outdoor living area and another separate sunning area with outdoor shower. Note that there is no AC in the rooms or anyplace else at Awasi. While this might sound like a complaint, it is actually a positive as the dry climate and cool evenings make it unnecessary. This means you do not need to listen to any of them running or be subject to their draughts.
We enjoyed all of our meals at Awasi.

Both food and drink was top notch. We had excellent professional, yet casual and friendly service. We always looked forward to our next meal.

The excursions are of course a highlight as you have your own guide assigned to you for the length of your stay. On longer trips or trips where you are dropped of and picked up after a hike… you also have a driver as well as your guide. Most of our excursions were in large king cab pickup trucks which provide for plenty of space and also a good ride on some of the rough roads. We enjoyed all of our excursions and found our guide helpful and knowledgeable. We did a total of 6 excursions. All were good in their own way. The highlight of the Atacama is not any specific sight, but rather a phenomenal sense of space, limitless visibility and the stunning quality of the light.

It would be pretty easy to stay at Awasi and not even visit San Pedro de Atacama what with all the fine food and excursions, but we made time and enjoyed the little adobe oasis on the backpacker circuit. I can’t think of any other place I have been that is quite like it.

So, overall this is one of the finest and most enjoyable places we have every stayed. If you pressed me I could list a few negatives… but they were so minor in the overall context that to mention them would be petty. The Awasi is pretty darn expensive. Most everyone who posts here says it is worth it, but I’ll amend that to say if you can afford it, it is worth it.

Room Tip: Superior round rooms are in main part of hotel and more spacious.
2 Thank areboot7
AwasiAtacama, Gerente at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for this great review!
It is good to hear that you agree with us about not having air conditioning.
The "organic" architectural design of Awasi, the use of adobe bricks on the walls and the thatched high ceilings are key elements that allow us to avoid the use of AC.
These elements were used in the area for hundreds of years by the original inhabitants of the Atacama Desert.
I am also glad to know that you enjoyed our gastronomy since it is a very important part of the
local culture.

I also want to thank you about telling us that our rates are well supported by the high value of the overall experience.

As you may understand, the rates of such a personalized experience, are directly correlated with our high standard levels.
Awasi boasts of having 55 staff members for only 8 rooms, allowing us to truly engage with our guests; Providing a warmer, welcoming environment where attention to detail is key.

We look forward to seeing you again soon

Virginia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

We chose the Awasi because of it's high level of service, small size, and the great reviews he heard. The Atacama desert was so much more diverse than I had expected with so many varying ecosystems... and thanks to our private Awasi guide, we were able customize our own experience. Many times, when you have to travel with unknown visitors and groups, you're at the mercy of the group inertia/dynamics... though it can sometimes be interesting, you have little control over your experience. My partner and I only had 5 days and we're pretty adventurous so we wanted to explore some of the more interesting and difficult to get to sites. I've traveled the world from hostels to the Four Seasons, so I'm keenly aware and sensitive to value and service. Without any hesitation, Awasi provided the top experience in terms of service--- there were probably 3 employees or more for every guest. Our every need was attended to and the chef prepared the most amazing cuisine paired with delicious wines. I don't prepare too many of these types of reviews, however, the manager Virginia, our guide Alvaro, our server Renato, and the rest of the staff were incredibly attentive and deserve praise!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
AwasiAtacama, Gerente at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear Guest:

It makes us so happy to hear you had such a memorable experience with us.
It was particularly special to have been able to celebrate you birthday during your stay!
We really appreciate your “praise” and I will be sure to pass on your "thank-yous" to the rest or the staff.
It makes it all worthwhile when we receive such a good feed-back from our guests. It gives us a great sense of accomplishment and the importance of having shared with our guests a very special moment in their lives.
We wish you all the best and hope to be able to welcome you back at Awasi or at one of our future destinations,

Best regards,

Stuttgart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

The concept of this hotel impressed me and my husband a lot.
Starting from booking, when you have the feeling they are really preparing to receive you: you receive a lot of information regarding places to visit, the services you expect to have, but also you are asked about your visiting interests, type and number of pillows you would like to have, etc.
When you arrive there you are warmly welcomed with a top service, outstanding wine and food as well as a private guide, driver and car taking you to awesome landscapes, teaching about the places and most of all respecting your pace and needs. No need to hurry up, no need to wait for any group.
As all guests choose the excursions they want to do and will have different departure and arrival time, you will hardly find the hotel packed. So you go to the restaurant and can really appreciate the food, the wine and enjoy your time. The staff is extremely friendly, very helpful and will never keep you waiting. Everyone will serve you with a smile. Whenever you go back to your room, you will find it always cleaned and just prepared for you.
Close to your departure, they also offer to make your flight check in and print your boarding card. In case you need to leave early in the morning, breakfast is also prepared just for you.
Last but not least the hotel building preserved the architecture of San Pedro de Atacama. From outside you will see a façade very common in Atacama. But behind the walls all comfort and privacy you need and all rustically decorated.
Atacama region is anyway a unique place in this world, with landscapes I had never seen before. This combined with this first class service just makes your holidays simply special and unforgettable.
Their prices are surely above the average, but the services they offer as well.
It is worth every cent you pay there.
We wish we could find hotels with this concept and services in other parts of the world!

1 Thank cecmix
AwasiAtacama, Gerente at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

What a great detailed review of your Awasi experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback.
It is always a thrill for us to receive such positive comments from our guests

Even more so, knowing how all the details we have worked so hard to include in our property were noticed by you and your husband.
As you may have noticed, all of the materials that were used to not only build Awasi but utilized for decorative purposes are all from the region.

We will gladly share your comments with our Chef Juan Pablo and your guides (Mabel and Andreas), as well as with the rest of the staff.
We all send our best to you and your husband, all the way to Stuttgart, Germany and look forward to welcoming you back at San Pedro or at any other of our future developments.

Warmest Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I chose Awasi as our last destination when we visited South America for the first time and we made the right choice. The sights at the Atacama topped by the service and care we received at the Awasi was by far the best. Eduardo your Restaurant Manager paid special attention to my diet restriction and took care to provide amazing and delicious gluten free meals each time. As well, he went out of his way to organize yoga classes for me, something, I thought was beyond the call of duty for a Restaurant Manager. We would certainly return for another visit when the opportunity arises and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to family and friends.

Stayed April 2012
AwasiAtacama, Gerente at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Guest:

We are more than pleased to receive such great feedback from you.
Thank you very much for taking time to provide us with your comments on your Awasi experience.
Given that our restaurant is exclusive to Awasi guests only, it is much feasible for us to ensure that your dietary restrictions, preferences and/or needs are taken care of.
With this policy, our Chef Juan Pablo and our Restaurant Manager, Eduardo are able to always provide a specially designed menu using exclusive ingredients of the Atacama area and still adhering to your personal needs.
Eduardo, also sends his best and a special message to you: “Mrs. W.., I am very glad to had been able to assist you during your stay with us. At Awasi, we all try our best to welcome you as not just another guest but part of our extended family. As such, we try to go above and beyond to meet all of your needs and preferences are met. I remain at your service and am eternally grateful for these beautiful comments on my persona.”
I am sure that it must have been quite the experience to practice your yoga routine in the Desert.
From all of our staff members to you, we thank you and look forward to welcoming you and yours to San Pedro de Atacama or one of our future developments.

Vriginia Contreras
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We have traveled extensively in the US, Central America, Mexico, Canada and New Zealand and must say that Awasi is likely the most romantic and most accommodating place we have ever stayed. The food and wines are outstanding and the individualized excursions are so, so memorable. I can't imagine the beauty of contrast between the desert and the Andes being duplicated anywhere else on earth. This is a very special place!

Room Tip: We had what is referred to as a "rectangul room" across the street from the dining area. I...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
AwasiAtacama, Director General at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to begin by thanking you, not only for your feedback but for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do so.

At Awasi, we believe that luxury is best expressed not by ostentation, but by the beauty of the simple, comfortable and natural objects that surround us.
Given, the natural scenery of the area, we are very glad that you were able to experience on what the world`s driest desert has to offer.

All of us feel very proud that you found Awasi as "the most romantic and most accommodating place you have ever stayed"
Thanks again,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Awasi is a truly amazing place. The service is top class, professional and friendly. The lodge is luxurious, and the fact that you have a private guide and car to design each day around you and your needs, it's the only way to see the Atacama!

We would go again and recommend to anyone who is looking for a truly special vacation.

Dear Guest,

I would like to personally thank you for the time you have allotted to provide your feedback.

Our aim is to always provide a truly memorable, positive, tailor-made experience for each and every one of our guests.
We are very glad that you were able to enjoy this mystical location that is the Atacama Desert with your private guide and 4WD vehicle.

We would love to be able to welcome you and yours to our oasis in the desert once more, and at our future projects in the Chilean Patagonia.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me at anytime so we may be able to assist you with your future visits.

Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

A friend and I were booked into the Awasi in November of 2007. I can't begin to rave enough about our experience there. The decor, the wines, the food, the personal attention and service, and the trips into the desert, basically wherever we wanted to go were beyond belief. Our guide was most knowledgeable and did everything in her power to show us the ruins and vistas. Loved the outdoor shower!
I live in the Northern Calif, USA, area and am a big wine buff so throughout my trip to Peru I eagerly tried the local wines. Also went to a wine bar in Santiago but the Awasi had the best selection that I encountered in my trip. My local wine shop is having a wine tasting of Chilean wines in eight days and I wrote the Awasi asking them for a copy of their present day wine list. They responded in fifteen minutes.
Now if only I could get married again and spend my honeymoon there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Audrey D
AwasiAtacama, Gerente at Awasi Atacama - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your review and comments.
Although your stay with us was some time ago we are very happy that Awasi has stayed in your memories.
For us is a true plasure to be able to assist you with the wine lists that you tasted during your stay.
We allways consider our guests not just "clients" but part of our extended list of friends throughout the world.

We look forward to seeing you once again either in Atacama or in one of our future projects.