“Don't miss this”

El Tatio Geysers and Machuca Village Day Trip
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed July 19, 2014

One of the best experiences of our Chile trip. We suggest driving up in your own rental (4x4), highly recommended if you want to avoid the masses.

There are newer reviews for Geyser del Tatio

Reviewed July 13, 2014

But if you've already been to Yellowstone and the like, the geysers here may be disappointing. There are numerous vents, but they emit mostly steam rather than water jet, which is why tour departs in early morning as the steam won't be as visible after sun heats up the area.

Before sunrise timing and high altitude mean it'll get very cold, around -10 deg C, so dress warmly. The hot spring pool is at best lukewarm (probably 20s deg C) so while it will provide some relief, prepare to feel even colder when you finish the soak.

We went with Desert Adventure for this tour. While generally fine, the driver seemed forever in rush to next pitstop, and we didn't even have time to see the geysers in sunlight before starting the return leg. Long drive to San Pedro but beautiful scenery along the way, so still worth it overall.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

The geysers were phenomenal! This is definitely a must see place in San Pedro (probably my number one recommendation here) because there's nothing like it! It was really cool to see and I enjoyed getting in the hot springs after (though they weren't as warm as I was expecting except in some areas). The hot springs def warmed me up and didn't feel as cold after. The only hard part is getting out of the springs to change back into normal clothes in the cold weather. But, the geysers were completely worth it!! Desert Adventures has a great tour there, so I highly recommend using them for the tour! The guide was really knowledgeable and fantastic!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

After I heard the plan to wake up at 5 a.m, meet at 6 a.m, drive an hour and a half to two hours, eat breakfast there, and be in 10 degrees F, I told my husband I didn't want to go. It sounded like a terrible plan. All I can say is it would have been a shame to have missed such an experience. There is nothing like it in North America. I thought it might be like Old Faithful or the Yellowstone geysers. Not so! This whole geothermal area is quite an amazing place. You walk through the bubbling geysers, take incredible pictures, eat a picnic breakfast outside, and have one of the best experiences of your lifetime. There is a hot spring (really HOT) where you can swim. It was too cold outside for us, but there was one man swimming. What great pictures we have of a very special day. Don't miss it! I would rate it the number one attraction of the area. We stopped at a small town along the way, population FIVE, and they sell llama brochettes and hot coffee. You can see their church and a few houses and get more special pictures. If you are visiting Atacama it is definitely one of the things you have to do. GO!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

As cold and early as it is, getting up in the wee hours of the morning for Geysers Tatio is totally worth it. I thought the geyser field was more spectacular than the Geyser Sol de Manana in Bolivia because you had access to more geysers than the latter. If you're headed to the geysers on your own, note that by 8am, the geysers have diminished significantly in size. There is a hot springs you can jump into at the national park so bring your swim stuff.

Most tours will head to the geysers then make several stops for photo opportunities and snacks. A good tour will also include breakfast. Our driver prepared a welcoming spread of bread, ham, cheese, biscuits and hot tea, and had it all laid out on a nice picnic table for us to indulge in after we finished taking photos and exploring the geysers.

Dress in layers because the geyser is bitingly-cold in the mornings and it is unbearably hot when you head back to San Pedro in the afternoon.

2  Thank Mei L