“nice simple hostel with single rooms”
Review of Hostal Tuyasto

and 1 more site!
Hostal Tuyasto
Stuttgart, Germany
“nice simple hostel with single rooms”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Been here for 6 nights. The good side: very clean, very friendly owner family and one of the cheapest hostels in SPA. Community kitchen available, the owners don't speak english, so at least very basic spanish is needed.
The Downside:
no warm water in the morning (the water is solar heated), many excursions are starting 4-8am, then the water was freezing cold.
The rooms are facing to the courtyard, if there are people at night sitting and talking, you hear every word.
Better bring a sleeping bag, its very cold at night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Vancouver
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Lovely hostel run by a very kind, friendly couple. We wished we spoke better Spanish so we could converse with them more, but the language difference was not a problem. As others have mentioned, the hostel is a very short walk from the centre of this very small town, and we enjoyed being a little outside the core, where it was quieter. The hostel is modest but clean and comfortable. We stayed in a private room with en suite, and it was bigger than those in many hostels we have stayed in. The kitchen was well equipped, and there were places to wash clothes and hang them on the line. The wifi was weak in some areas, but there is a nice lounge area where the signal is strong and reliable. The only downside is the weak shower pressure and various times hot water was not available, but it is the desert and I can't imagine other similarly priced accommodations have much better showers.

We met others in our travels who had stayed at Hostal Tuyasto, and they agreed that it was a lovely place that left us all with a warm, happy feeling. Gracias, Jose and Matilde!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I really love the place. I book for 2 nights and stayed for 3. They offer me stay at their daughters room for free on the third night! It's 5 mins walk from center, quiet place. Owner look after the place well. You have to book few days in advance. It's fully booked for 5 days when I was there. The bed is very soft. Locker is bit small. But u get key for the gate and rooms. Bathroom is cleaning. The also help out with tour. Also have wifi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We spent 3 nights here and we are very glad we did! The place was very comfortable with really warm hosts - Jose and Matilde. The hostal has a mini-market located right next to it which proves to be very convenient. Kitchen and the cheap laundry facilities are a huge plus too.
Jose and Matilde can't speak much English, so that can prove to be an issue. But, sign language and help from other guests is definitely good enough! As we were leaving, they gave us mementos which was indeed a very nice gesture!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I lived here for 2 nights. This place was like I was staying in a homestay because the accommodation zone was one part of their house. I got a room that I guessed it was their daughter's room. There was a lot of spaces outside the room to hang your clothes if you want to do laundry. Also, they provided the laundry service. The staffs cannot speak English much. However, I believe that there will be several guests in this hotel translating from Spanish to English for you. and 10-15 minutes walk to the walking street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

So I booked this hotel a few days in advance whilst I was on my 3 day trip in the salt lakes of Bolivia. Jose was very quick to respond and very friendly. Upon arrival he was on time and collected me from the immigration place. His hostal is literally a 2 minute walk from there so do not get back on the bus as you will only have to walk further to get to the hostal. Do write down the address as I did walk around a bit a couple of times getting back there.

Upon arrival I met Jose's wife who was really lovely. The room was clean, bed was comfortable and it even had a fridge which I didnt expect. The bathroom was also clean but the water pressure was very very poor. It was in fact the poorest I had experienced in a long time and having just returned from the desert I was desperate to have a nice shower and wash my hair. From what I understand the whole area suffers from this and prices everywhere in San Pedro de Atecama are high everywhere. I also realised that having seen most of the highlights in the salt lakes and given the buses to Salta, Argentina would only leave on certain days, to spend only one night there. Jose who had been really nice I think was quite upset when I expressed my disappointment with the shower pressure. Apart from this my stay was fine. I paid about 40USD (20 chilean pesos) for one person for one night, no breakfast included. I'm not sure how this compared to other places but San Pedro is expensive so you might want to hunt around when going around restaurants etc. I paid 5,000 for my valle de la luna tour so I'm sure you can find one about that. Many other places wanted to charge more. Wifi didnt quite reach my room either so make sure you pick a room which is central and reaches the wifi signal.

Overall this hostal is fine if you are not bothered about a good shower - if so you might want to find somewhere else.

Room Tip: Check the shower pressure upon check in!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ninsc
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hostel is probably one of the cheapest - 10,000 pesos for a single room (shared bathroom), 16,000 pesos for a double room (shared bathroom). However the rooms, sheets and towels are very clean, the bathrooms are very good, all tiled, plenty if soap and toilet paper, and it us generally a nice set-up with plenty of sitting and eating areas outside. There is a mini market very close with a good variety of things to buy. The only negatives of the hostel are that it is not right in town, about a 5-10 min walk, and the Internet may not work in your room, depending how far away it is from the office - but it does work in the outdoor seating areas. There was an all-night party at a neighboring house the first night we were here, which continued all the following day but a call to the carabineros put a stop to the noise so everything was quiet for the following 3 days of our stay.

• Stayed December 2012