“Excellent San Pedro budget choice!”
Review of Hostal Sonchek

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro de Atacama
Hostal Sonchek
United States
“Excellent San Pedro budget choice!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm surprised by some of the less than glowing reviews about this hostal -- for San Pedro this place represents exceptional value. Beds are comfortable and have clean linens and cosy blankets. Rooms are thoughtfully arranged with shelves and power strips so that more than one device can be charged. (It would be great, though, if the rooms had, at least, small lockers for passports, laptops and other personal belongings, although the reception will store your belongings if you ask.) Affordable and reliable laundry service. For the driest desert on Earth, solar showers are amazing -- plenty of hot water and pressure. Great location just a few minutes from the TurBus terminal and the center. I found staff friendly enough, but not super helpful with information about tours. Calm environment that attracts people more 25-35 and older. Also quite nice that they don't require a deposit to make a reservation via email (although it is important to confirm your reservation with a second email 24 hours before arrival.) Bottom line: if you're on a budget and looking for good value in San Pedro, Soncheck should probably be your first choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank travelwiz13

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 27, 2013

In case you haven't figured this out already, San Pedro is extremely expensive. Finding a decent room under $30 is practically impossible but Sonchek fit the bill. It was a calm environment. Guests are talking lowly in all areas and management is understandable that a majority of their guests will wake up at 6am or earlier for their full day tours. The restaurant next door blasts music during the day though... The room was very cramped but we both fit fine, however, curtains are too thin- they do not block out the sun. The cats add a welcoming presence. Staff does not speak English and are as helpful as they feel they need to be. The shared bathrooms were an experience. They are cleaned almost constantly and each have a character to them. Took a bit to find which one was my favorite. Wifi was an issue. Had to keep restarting the router every time we wanted to get online and could only access from the courtyard- adobe walls are too thick. Also, keep your bags securely closed at all times. Because the room open to a garden, we found a couple of spiders hiding under our stuff- they were scary, not gonna lie.
Bottom line- comfortable, peaceful, secure environment just a 5 min walk to town on safe roads. If you feel like having a good time, we found the many establishments on the main street to be quite accommodating. You'll be able to live it up at the (overpriced) restaurants with the money you saved from staying in this hostel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Telluride, Colorado
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed in a double room with shared bath. Clean, comfy with good beds and because of the layout of the hostal very little street noise. Friendly helpful staff that was present and interacting with guests.
We took advantage of the shared kitchen which was a big hit. We also spent time in the hammocks, also a big hit. We really enjoyed the calm atmosphere, a break from hectic San Pedro.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked my room well in advance since I heard good reviews about this place. However, on my first night, I felt bed bugs crawling over me and I could not sleep because the bites were so insanely itchy!!! When I complained about the bed bugs, at first they told me that it was mosquitos. I showed them the multiple rows of bites on my body and said that they were not bites of a mosquito. The bed bug bite has greater intensity in itchiness and are in a row. I asked them to replace the bedding and they said they would get the pestman in that day. I assumed they meant in the morning to allow for the room to be aired properly. However, when I returned from my excursion at 3.30pm, I found my room unlocked and my belongings strewn on the outside furniture for all to see and take. The room had only been sprayed that afternoon. Consequently, that night the room had a distinct smell of chemicals. I had a bleeding nose that night, and continued to have bleeding noses regularly for 2 weeks. My nose was incredibly itchy and still is itchy now some months on. To add insult to injury, the French lady accused me of bringing in the bed bugs from Argentina. When I replied that that doesn't explain why she was spraying the other rooms for bed bugs since I had not slept in those rooms, she did not reply. Avoid this place if you don't like bed bugs

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank S J
soncheksp, Propietario at Hostal Sonchek, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Bed bugs and other insect are not common in Atacama desert/because of the high altitude- but once in a while they get here with the passangers, who bring them from other places. When this happens we spray the bed and if it doesn´t help we replace the bed. Apologies to the customers who had a bed experience.
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am all bu positive about this place and I'll tell you why:

I booked a single room for 12000 pesos per day ( fixed price, cheap for this expensive town). In return i got a nice place with great atmosphere and tranquility close to the center of activity. The room is clean. I receive wifi very well, bed is great, room prety cosy and temperature great day and night. The bathroom is large, clean and with a good shower with hot water. The staff is very helpful, helps where they can (they also can wash your stuff) and it was very nice that they knew my name, offered to help me out while waiting for a bus and give lots on info on bus hours, attractions etc. I even found a little self made map in my room with info, really nice. I got clean towels, the place is ecological, the door is locked, your backpack safely stored etc. No seriously, for this price, you cannot find much better. Great job guys.

Room Tip: It is minor, but the room in the front gets a bit more street noise