“Wonderful!”
Review of Hostal Sonchek

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro de Atacama
Hostal Sonchek
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 days in Sonchek hostal coming from Bolivia. Location is perfect, near the center of San Pedro. Spacious room, comfy beds, clean shared bathrooms, wifi is working well. Breakfast is not included but the hostal has a deal with a restaurant just behind. Above all, the staff is extremely friendly and available. The hostel is well maintained and there is a cosy atmosphere. There is a little garden to rest too. We loved our stay here! Only comment is that wifi is shut down at 22:30, to maintain tranquility - which is great but not always convenient.

• Stayed: March 2013
There are newer reviews for Hostal Sonchek

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at Hostel sonchek and had a very good time. The room was spotlessly clean,the showers were good and hot, and they even provided towels for us. It is in a very convenient location, and easy walk from the bus station(even in altitude). The wifi did not work very well in the rooms and is turned off after 10.30 at night which was a bit of an inconvenience.
Although it is advertised as English speaking we did not encounter any staff at the reception who could speak English so I guess we must have missed the actual owners. None the less we were able to communicate our wishes with our extremely limited Spanish and our stay was great for the price that we paid (san pedro is not cheap!)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in late Dec 2012. I met a couple on the Salt Flats Tour and travelled with them to San Pedro - they had made a reservation at Sonchek in advance and had the email to prove it. However, when they turned up, the owner said that she had given their room away as they had not reconfirmed the reservation! None of us were impressed - when you make a reservation and receive a confirmation, you should not need to reconfirm nearer the time.

However, both they and I were able to stay for one night. The room was basic but comfortable, and the shower was so-so. No breakfast included. Wifi diet really work in the room but was ok in the courtyard. Overall it was acceptable but I think there are better options in San Pedro for the price.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank uwakai
soncheksp, Propietario at Hostal Sonchek, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

We make it clear to everybody who makes the reservation in our hotel, that it should be re-confirmed two or three days before arrival, otherwise we won´t garantee the reservation. This is a safety measure for us- since we don´t charge anything in advance and we want to be sure that persons will apear for sure, otherwise we loose too much.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I caught the night security man leering in the bathroom window when a woman was in there I confronted him and he just shrugged I told him I was going to report it I told owner next day and she said she would talk to him I got no feedback from her so I asked her and she said that the night watchman was only looking in to see if a light was on now where I come from you knock on a bathroom door and if no answer try door and if unlocked you know if someone left light on so he admits looking in the window but tried a feeble excuse I have no doubt what I saw and he had stood up on a stone to look in a mesh wire window and He still works there so if you are a woman beware I am going to report this to the chilean tourist board and the San Pedro police

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mylesm0
soncheksp, Propietario at Hostal Sonchek, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

This was the first time we got a complaint respect to the night guard- never ever nothing like this happened before, and we think/after talking to him/ that this is a misinterpretation. Just to make it clear- we spoke to him seriously and next day we assured the guests that it will not happen again. We offered the room with private bath- but of course for a higher price, which they refused even if they reserved such one in the first place!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here in a double room with a shared bathroom. We booked to go on geyser tour where bus picks you up at 4am. At 3.30am I got up to go to bathroom and my husband followed 3 mins after me, only to discover the security guard standing on a stone looking into the bathroom I was in. When my husband confronted him, he just went back into his office. Later that day we reported it to the owner, I said I was upset about it and that it was not on as there were lots of young girls staying in the hostel. She said she would look into it. She did not get back to us and I had to ask her the following day what the outcome was. She said her husband spoke to security guard and he said he was checking if there was a light left on!!!, She said we could move into a room with en suite but would have to pay the extra. I couldn't believe it, a member of her staff peeps in a you while in the bathroom and if you are not happy with that you can move to an ensuite and pay the extra. So just be warned, as the security guard continues to work there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shelmar

I would like to make clear that this comentary is product of a misinterpretation of the guests, the night guard was trying to put off the light, and looked inside to make sure there was nobody in.

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

The place is overall good. Room is clean and location is good. Lots of cats. But the shower seems not hot enough at night. Also room has no lockers. I've actually found that my staff was used by someone else and some item end up missing. Not valuable but still annoying.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I arrived by bus in San Pedro just after 11pm and had been worried about walking from the bus terminal to Hostal Sonchek on my own (having just come from Santiago and Valparaiso, where staying safe is a valid concern), but I needn't have worried. First, the Hostal is right around the corner, and second, San Pedro is very safe. I had a private room and it was cosy and quaint. Shared bathroom - didn't realise there were separate ones for males and females until I was leaving, oops! Can definitely recommend this Hostal for females travelling on their own, it is close to everything and so very easy to come and go.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo