“Small good hotel”
Review of Don Raul Hotel

Don Raul Hotel
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The hotel is in a great location. Close to shops, bars, restaurants and tour operators. The bus station is about 5 mins by taxi. 10-15 walking with bags.

The rooms are small and basic, but perfect if you're out most of the day.

Comfortable single bed, TV, bed side light and table.

The bathroom had a good shower, constant hot water and plenty of towels.

Buffet breakfast was very good.

There are hammocks and chairs in the courtyard for guests to use. Wi Fi was available but only in the reception area.

The hotel made a good base to explore from and de Atacama is a great town.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Don Raul Hotel

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The location and breakfast are excellent, the rooms are small, basic and clean. We stayed at a double room and the shower was tiny, the beds were not very comfortable. With that said, the staff was friendly and we truly enjoyed our stay.

If you are looking for location + relatively good prices + food, this is a good bet. If you are looking for a little comfort, I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sjc_1971
Reviewed August 11, 2013

...and I don't always take the cheapest option, but when I do, it is usually like this.
1. The rooms are average and luxury implicates the posibility to lock the door.
2. The service is ok if you remind yourself that you are in the middle of nowhere.
3. Take the breakfast in another place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank DoktorShiruango
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed 3 nights. The service is good and the breakfast is excellent. The rooms are good enough and get cleaned every day. The location is at the end of the main street without busy traffic.

A tip for the hotel: put some work in the garden. It doesn't look as on the pictures anymore. But more a construction site.

Room Tip: If you want a tv ask for it
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MacP_Belgium
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This little hotel is in a great location and has really good breakfast. The rooms are very well setup, clean and good amenities (good hot shower). The rooms are very cold though. If you are visiting San Pedro in winter it is cold so make sure you bring your thermals. It is easy access to town and many good restaurants.
Maxima experience travel agency just down the road is a great options for booking tours and treks/hikes

Room Tip: ask for a room that gets afternoon sun.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at the Don Raul Hotel in mid may. I had booked the hotel via trip advisor. I noticed a few of the bad reviews but thought those were isolated opinions. I ended up finding out for myself that this hotel is very overpriced for the size and quality of the room. When I walked into my room it was like staying in a tin can...very cramped and not a lot of room. A tiny 20inch tv. I complained about the size of the room for the money...I had to walk around the toilet in the bathroom to get to the shower! I wasnt the only person disappointed with his room...there was another guest arguing at the front desk about his bill....and they had to call the Carabineros to calm him down....I dont blame him. I complained myself and advised that there was no other rooms available...not that they were too concerned. The only redeeming part of my stay was the breakfast..I would rate that as a 4 out of 5. Other than that...if you dont mind overpaying for a small room, then Don Raul is your place...otherwise I would look around. San Pedro itself is overpriced in general...so perhaps it is par for the course.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived for a 4 night stay, we had been given a twin room despite having booked a double room (matrimonial). We were initially told there was nothing they could do but then they decided to move us to room number 11. After a 1 hour wait (we were told we would be waiting 15mins), we were moved to a room with a gaping hole in the bathroom ceiling, mould up the wall and with most of the wall plaster fallen off. When we complained about the state of the room the receptionist laughed and said this was the only room left so we had to take it or leave it.
The staff generally seemed disinterested.
Breakfast was meant to be served from 6:30-10:00but in actual fact the staff arrived at 6:30am which meant than on our last day when we had to leave early, we arrived for breakfast at 6:30 and there was nothing ready so we had to go without.
Contrary to them advertising that wifi is available in all areas, it isn't. It's only available in reception.
One of the most irritating things about this "hotel" is that you have to inform the staff if you want a hot shower so they can turn on the water. You only get 5 minutes of hot water which was annoying because one of us would get a hot shower and then the other would have to go and tell them to turn the hot water on again!
The location is good, but our frustration is the fact that we paid hotel prices for something that is little more than a hostel.
I would strongly recommend either staying in an excellent hotel further out of town or pay a lot less for a similar experience in a hostel.

• Stayed: May 2013