“Very good one”
Review of Hostal Corvatsch

Hostal Corvatsch
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I've stayed in hotel corvatsch for 4 days with more 3 persons. The hotel is very good, its clean and the coffee break is good. We were very well attended by the hotel's workers and also by the owner. We did 4 tours with them and all went very well. Its is also very well located and the price is good.

Room Tip: There is also the hostel if you searching for something cheaper.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stefania_andrade

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Not worth staying here as got ripped off by staff when asked for change they owed me, toilets never had toilet paper, communal kitchen looks nice on the outside, yet is dirty and unequipped and the matrimonial was overpriced (no plug sockets, prefab, noisy). Don't stay here. We went next door to Sonchak next door, which is a really nice hostel (good price, simple, clean)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gordon Q
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I would advise finding an alternative place to stay. We stayed here for about 11 days due to unforeseen circumstances, and the staff were nothing but rude to us. You would think that they would appreciate our business but on a number of occasions, we were treated like children who were staying in rehab. On several occasions, we were thrown out of the communal areas before the 10pm deadline. Instead of asking us nicely, the man turned off the tv and confiscated the remote control from us. We were made to feel like we were 5 years old. Not only are you not allowed to be seen after 10pm, they patrol the rooms to check that nobody is in the wrong dormitory. On one occasion, we invited one person to sit in our room as he wasn't ready for sleep yet and didn't want to disturb his roommates. As a consequence, we were almost thrown out of the hostel, and made to grovel. At first, the hostel is appealing with its friendly guests and clean, functional kitchen. Do not be deceived!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank roadtorio
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Corvatch has two different locations and two types of accommodations, hotel Corvatch and Residential Casa Corvatch. This review is for the Residential Casa Corvatch. Residential Casa Corvatch has very good location, only two blocks from the main square and two blocks from bus stations. The actual building is located behind adobe wall sheltering it from the street. This is a two storey building, with reception, washrooms, kitchen, TV/Computer room and dorms on the main floor. Private rooms are located on the second floor. It is obvious that the building is being constantly added on to (in rather very inexpensive manner). Rooms in the back are newer, lighter and better. All rooms in the older section, and all rooms I have seen, have shared bathrooms on the main floor and two shared WCs on the second floor. As the walls are very thin and inexpensively build, and the floors with stairs very creaky, the building is very noisy and at night you can hear every move your neighbors make.
I had no problem with the reception. I was offered a bit overpriced tours from them and would recommend looking around before deciding to book with the Corvatch agency. Although, I did not have any incident with the night staff, his behavior was a bit odd, to say the least. At the start of his shift, he (a little man) starts to walk around the hostel like a prison guard giving everybody the “mighty” looks. At 10:00 p.m. all common areas are closed to the guest. Starting at 9:30, and every 5-10 minutes, he starts to walk around the common areas telling everybody in rather ordering manner how much time they have before they have to leave this space.
Contrary to some reviews here and to the rules posted on walls which say that "it is not possible" to leave your bags in the hostel after the check-out hour, some friends I met (Chileans) were allowed to do so without charge. They were not allowed to use the bathrooms tough. Major disadvantage in this hostel is the lack of power outlets. There are none in the rooms, many in the kitchen area (locked from 22 p.m. to 8 a.m.) and only one I found in the hallway on the second floor. So, if you want to go on tours during the day you have very little time to recharge your electronics.
My bed was very comfortable with clean linen and heavy warm blankets. The room was clean but very noisy at night. It was above the reception. Starting 3:30 a.m. the phone was ringing constantly and nobody was picking it up. However, the night staff had constant conversations over the radio in the same room. The vans (tour agency) also start to make noise directly below the window at about 3:30 a.m. If you still decide to stay in Corvatch, don’t stay in room 15.
The kitchen was nice but tiny for the volume of people. It was poorly equipped and accessible only between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. There was not even a match to light to stove. The WCs on second floor were clean but in very poor shape, with tiles falling off the walls. There are signs in the showers to ask you to take only 5 minute showers, as you are in the desert. That is certainly good. However, sometimes it took well over 5 minutes to get the hot water running. The WCs on the main floor are “interesting”. The small stalls have both WC and urinals. So, if you are sitting on the WC you have your face right next to the urinal. The locks are malfunctioning in one of the stalls (I got locked in once). The WCs were constantly out of paper. For San Pedro, this hostel does have private rooms at lower price than the competition in town.
I would not recommend this hostel to my friends. There are better hostels in town (one is just next door).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank povetron
Reviewed May 1, 2012

should have read the comments first and never would have picked that one! as other people say the reception is bad, especially at night; the guy who was working night shift was at the point of beating crap out of my friend who just wanted to use a toilet while I went upstairs to get my jacket, NO PLUGS IN THE ROOMS, but what is more

THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED SHEETS!

There was some hair on the sheets, we changed the room on the second night and guess what?

THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED THE SHEETS AGAIN! (I had a good look after the cleaning lady has finished.)

BAD, BAD BAD!
DO NOT RECOMMEND!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Szymon S
Reviewed April 1, 2012

In 35 years of world travelling, this ranks #2 from the bottom. Although upon first impression it seems appealing with an attractive appearance, kitchen, WIFI and modest prices, this is indeed too good to be true. The owner/ manager poisons the atmosphere with his stinginess, which permeates through to the poor staff who have to administer his miserliness: resentment from the staff at my asking for matches for the stove (actually told me to buy my own, in fact because the owner was too stingy to provide a lighter); incredibly poor response to my asking them to replace the empty gas container for the stove; rigidly enforcing 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. closing time for kitchen and Internet access regardless of early departure times for tours. They chase you out the door at 11a.m. check -out, after which time you become a felon if seen on site. This is not an atmosphere to which you wish to expose yourself on your holiday

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Christie M
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I went to San Pedro with my parents last weekend, and it was my worst experience EVER with a hostel. I had a reservation and the girl told me through e-mail that the check-in time was 11:00 AM. We got there at 11:30, and then they asked us PLEASE to be patient because it had been raining a lot in San Pedro and they had problems with sheets that wouldnt dry. We said it was OK, and left the hotel to give them time to arrange everything. We went back at 2:30 and the room still wasn't ready!! We could only have access to our room at around 3:00 PM. Ok. Well, the last day we were there, we would have a tour that would take all day, but it was canceled due to the rain. Our flight wouldn't leave until 11:00 PM, and the check-out time is at 11:00 AM. As I was with my parents, I asked them PLEASE to let us stay AT LEAST in the common area until the time they let us come into the bedroom (at three).

Well, they said that it was impossible. I insisted that they had to give us some kind of compensation for making us wait, and the owner, a VERY RUDE woman called Lorena, told that we had to leave at eleven, or pay for another night, or they would call the police on us!!!!
She also told us THERE WAS NO CHECK IN TIME, but we should leave at 11:00 am. Oh well, we get in the time they can give us a room, but we have to get out when they want us to.

What a way of treating tourists. I was so mad, because I could endure that alone, as I'm used to hostels (although I have always stayed at hostels with very nice staff), but I was with my parents, what the hell??

Well, I immediately went to SERNAC to complain about their terrible service, they called the hostel and then we could stay until 3 PM in the common area.

What else to say, they totally suck and I will tell everybody I can to NEVER GO THERE.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family