“Aims to please....”

Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa
Reviewed May 23, 2014

From our airport pick-up in Calama Airport to our delivery we felt like valued guests every minute. The all-inclusive resort offers all kinds of half-day and full-day trips to enjoy the region but you need to stay at least 4 nights to really get your money's worth. Our 3.5 days were filled with adventure: sand dunes, geysers, river beds with 100 year old cacti, flamingos, salt flats, etc. Our rooms were roomy and comfy with quirky decorations representative of the area. The meals were cruise level standard - we enjoyed the uniquely flavored ice-creams from the region's fruits and herbs: rica-rica, chanar, etc. They also add them to their drinks and not to be missed. I do agree with the previous comments that some of the wait staff may need more training but our first waiter (Gonzalo) was quite experienced and adept at letting us know about the various wines on offer (about 8 with even Chilean champagne which was delicious). He went on a brief vacation after and the other waiters were not up to his level - luckily I speak Spanish so was able to get the most out of each meal. We were always able to get bar service - if there was nobody there I would just let the front desk know and someone would show up in minutes. Luis, the principal bartender, was an "artiste" and made sure every drink was perfect - I even taught him how to make dirty martinis! The quinoa facial on my last day was superb and I left with a really buffed and shiny face. The bottom line is if you are not happy in this resort then it's your fault because in our case they succeeded in accommodating every request and preference.

Room Tip: They all seemed good to me - we had Room 5 that was near reception and it was quite perfect.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rtpana

Reviewed May 21, 2014

I was one of my favourite hotel in my entire life !!!!
If you have a way to go there, do not hesitate :)
People are incredibly helpful and love their place, landscape breathtaking and royal facilities. I felt amazingly great being there <3

Room Tip: There is not really facilities for children but there is lama hahaha the best :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tourneskeud
CustomerServiceHAA, Guest Relations Manager at Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Tourneskud,
We're very happy that you consider this one of your favorite hotels in the world! We feel the same way!

Customer Service

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I recently spent some time at Alto Atacama and was very happy with the service and tours offered. Matais was very helpfull ensuring that I got to see some of the best sites the area had to offer and checked in from time to time to ensure everything was ok. Thank you, and I'll be sure to stop by next time I'm in Chile!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Matt P
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We booked an all inclusive suite at the recommendations of our travel agent: unlimited, whenever excursions, Devine, five star cuisine and superb accommodations. Yes, the accommodations were outstanding. My favorite was taking an outdoor shower in our suite under a million stars at night. I loved the secluded layout of the six pools, spa (definitely a must) and hot tubs. The entire resort is fabulously blended in its on canyon; truly amazing, great wow factor.
The excursions include a guide with 8-9 people in a very comfortable van. This is why you travel to this unique, isolated yet mystical place. We hit a slight bump when we wanted a star gazing tour and we're told it wasn't available for when we wanted it. Wondering what happened to the "whenever" excursion perk of our inclusive suite, I inquired with Alto Atacama's attentive general manager, Alvaro, who was always around and involved versus allocating himself behind an isolated desk somewhere. Thank you very much Alvaro for getting us the amazing star gazing tour scheduled; it was one of our favorites.
The food unfortunately is mediocre at best. Very inconsistent; you'll have a great appetizer then a not so good main course. Fortunately, I think, we had meals included so we would order other alternatives to compensate. It's just a little frustrating and disappointing when you look forward to a great meal as advertised, especially after a long day of back to back excursions when you are relying on plentiful and adequate nutrition. If I am sold five star quality dining, I expect temperature appropriate courses and food that does not come from a can or a wrapper from a freezer. I was also surprised there wasn't an omelette / carving station for breakfast typical of a five star. Surprisingly, the best meal we had during our stay was at a roadside vendor on our way back from the guizer tour. The best cheese filled empanadas and Llama skewers I have ever tried.
I would definitely stay at the Alto Atacama again but will take the time to explore other options before committing to an all inclusive option.

Room Tip: Suites are few, secluded , all face a large pond.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pepecrusader70
CustomerServiceHAA, Guest Relations Manager at Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Pepecrusa,

Thank you for taking the time to share these comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your suite, the stargazing excursion and the general ambiance at the hotel. We are sorry to hear that your dining experience didn't meet your expectations. Our cuisine generally receives excellent reviews, but we will be sure to bring this to the attention of management and the chef. We hope to see you again soon at the Alto Atacama.

Best regards,
Kristina Schreck

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great hotel in San Pedro de Atacama, situated in the middle of what reminds a martian canyon, this hotel offers great modern rooms, amazing outdoor areas with heated pools, jacuzzi, and one of the most beautiful spas I have ever seen. Definitely worth staying!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Spectacular setting, spectacular service, worth every single penny. The service is just impecable. The hotel is beautiful, simple and elegant. I doubt there is a better hotel in the area. The trips are very well organized, the guides area great. Is not cheap for sure but you get what you pay. 100% recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed here at the end of trip to Chile and loved it. The rooms including the bathrooms are very spacious and comfortable. The manager and the staff were very professional, courteous and helpful. The hotel is set in a stunning location and offers great tours and excursions on a daily basis. The food was adequate without being brilliant. We enjoyed being a bit out of town and the hotel runs a shuttle service on the hour.

Room Tip: Room 6 is very quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple