“Not good” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Menbora Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Battambang
Menbora Hotel
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Battambang
Stockholm, Sweden
“Not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

I don't know if there is anything positive about this hotel except for the price.

The room was old and outdated, almost totally tiled. The bed was not very comfortable. The bathroom was very small, old and looked a bit scary - almost like in some horror movie.

I can't even desribe the atmosphere at this hotel - it felt almost as if it was abandoned. I didn't even see any staff around, except for one person at the reception desk.

I stayed here with a group tour and I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Busen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

I left a day early and forfeited a night's fees. This hotel creeped me out and I'm a former college football linebacker. The rooms do look like asylum rooms and the lighting is very dim. The bed was also incredibly uncomfortable. When I arrived the power was out in the entire building. I got the impression that was normal. I ate at the Bamboo Train cafe (awesome by the way), and the owner insisted on giving me a ride back to the TEO when he found out where I was staying. I certainly wouldn't have felt safe walking back there if I were a woman walking alone. I was apprehensive enough and I'm 6 ft tall and 220 lbs.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Battambang hotels

Yeargh, the seas matey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

The other reviewers are right about the in-house restaurant. It is horrible and overpriced. That is where my negative criticism ends. It was immaculately clean and the service was top-notch. The front desk was always happy to exchange currencies, give directions, and were extremely polite. Laundry was done in a timely manner and the room was a nice comfortable retreat from the day's humidity. I payed less for a room at TeO than any other decent hotel in Cambodia and I enjoyed it far more. The poor dining was not an issue as there is plenty good eating in walking distance. I'd recommend Pkai Pruk (sp?) for breakfast and the night stalls by the river for dinner.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank cocktailrevisionist
Southsea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2009

Unfortunately we couldn't stay at La Villa as it was booked up, so we ended up here. I guess it was OK for Battambang, but we were looking forward to finally crashing at a pool. Rooms were basic, but functioning. Some people complain about small rooms, but we had the more expensive rooms, and I am glad we paid the extra $10 per room to get some space. The staff seemed pretty uninterested, especially in the restaurant. Decent enough room if you are on a $20 room budget, but breakfast is not included.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank K_D_and_kids
Greater London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

The hotel we´d emailed to stay at had closed when we arrived here, explains their lack of communication, so we asked our tuk tuk man to take us somewhere he´d recommend, and this is where we ended up.

The staff aren´t too active, but were friendly enough when roused. Our room was OK, nothing special, no horrors lurking in the bathroom. The price was ok and the hotel is pretty decently located for the town centre. Like everyone else we can confirm the place is clean. There aren´t many places to stay in town and this one is well known, easy to get to and acceptable.

We were fortunate enough to be there at the time of the dragon boat races so the town was one big party.

We didn´t eat here for two reasons, firstly it looked dead and uninviting, second we fancied some of the options in town. The Smoking pot is a great place to eat, they offer cooking classes too, highly recommended. There is also a strip of restaurant/ bar /club style places in a row out of town, but this is a weekend activity really, pretty dead the night we went.

Like another reviewer I can also recommend the boat trip from Siem Reap.

If you want to visit the surrounding area then do it on a moto, not in a tuk tuk, the roads are bad and you´ll be bounced to bits in a tuk tuk. Bamboo trains are great, and breach all EU heath and safety regulations, and are more fun because of it!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

We only stayed here as The Villa was fully booked and none of the other hotels in Battambang I contacted replied to my e-mails!

Not terribly impressed to be honest but then it was only $20 a night.

The hotel is extremely dated and pretty much everything in the hotel is tiled including the bedroom walls, giving it the feel of a hospital or asylum. The room is small and the shower in the bathroom is located above the toilet which is an interesting feature. The bed was extremely lumpy and uncomfortable, which when combined with the noise from the air conditioning and the fan (essential to keep cool but seriously, planes make less noise!!) made for a difficult night's sleep.

The only redeeming feature is as other reviews have mentioned, it is immaculately clean. Location is also quite handy - not too far to walk to the the Riverside Balcony bar or to the bar at the Villa for a civilized drink, and then there are a few good restaurants in the centre serving excellent cheap local food. Menus are in English!

Despite the hotel, Battambang is definitely worth a short visit as there are a number of worthwhile places to visit in the area, don't miss the bamboo railway.

• Liked — Clean and well located
  • Disliked — Dated, uncomfortable and more than a little scary
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank NPUk
Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2008

We wondered whether this hotel would be up to the standard of others on our trip due to its being less than half the price. However it measured up very well. We were on the first floor in the main building just above reception. The rooms were huge , absolutely immaculately clean (as was the passage outside and stairwell) with excellent bathroom facilities and complete with fridge (one didn't work). We found the restaurant extremely good (we like authentic local food) and very reasonably priced. As to noise, we didn't have any at all. We found the staff friendly and helpful. When you read reviews sometimes you wonder if the reviewers were at the same hotel. I might not have chosen this one based on reviews I read, except that I'm a sceptic. The experience you have can be quite different from what others have. We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for budget accommodation with a strong local flavour.

• Liked — Room size, cleanliness, good restaurant
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)