“Relaxing and Accommodating”
Review of Here Be Dragons

Here Be Dragons
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Here Be Dragons was a good choice while in Battambang. The room was very basic and pretty run down to be honest, but it was perfect for a backpacker budget. The staff was very helpful - we arrived in Battambang at 12AM and luckily borrowed someone's phone to call HBD. Along with a few locals we saw at the bus station, they helped us get a tuk-tuk to their guesthouse. It would have been a long walk without them!

The bar scene is very social and even though it can get loud at times, you won't be bothered by noise in your room. They have a popular pub quiz on Tuesdays, as well as a pretty extensive and cheap drink list if you're into that sort of thing. The food is pretty good - offering Khmer and Western dishes for a pretty average "guesthouse" price.

They have great Tuk-Tuk drivers working with them as well - so if you end up booking a trip to the cave to see the mass exodus of bats flying out (highly recommended) or go to take a ride on the infamous Norry (also highly recommended), HBD offers competitive tuk-tuk rates. Ask for DJ - one of the friendliest and funniest tuk-tuk drivers I've ever had!

If you are social and on a budget, Here Be Dragons is a top choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We really loved this hostel - stayed here based on the glowing TripAdvisor reviews, and what more is there to be said?

I would complement the staff for their excellent service generally - but they really shone when there was in issue with the bus ticket we purchased through the hostel to take us to Siem Reap. The bus never showed, and between the bus company staff not helping at all, and some random taxi driver trying to scam us, we were in a difficult situation. A quick call to the hostel and the staff sorted it for us with no problems.

Also need to call out the food in the restaurant, which is excellent and great value. The bar is comfortable and chilled out, and the rooftop is great. When we stayed there was a 26 piece brass band playing in the bar which was quite the experience - noisy, and went on quite late, but who could complain about that?

Also need to shout out to the tuk tuk driver who was great.

One small criticism - our private room was fantastic value, basic but clean and big enough. However it was *really* hot - of course it was brutally hot generally in the town when we stayed, but the fan in the room was really poorly placed and it didn't help the air circulation at all. Made it quite sticky to sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I like having breakfast here. Early in the morning it's quiet and peaceful, and the garden is lovely, almost a surreal and magical experience. The food's good, and reasonably priced, too. I've tried most of the breakfast choices. My personal favorite is a pancake with fruit and yogurt on top. They also make a nice Khmer breakfast with rice, omelet, and pork, with pickled veggies on the side.

Room Tip: I haven't stayed here. It's a hostel with some private rooms. I hear it's nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I can defenitely recommend this hostel to everyone!

I arrived in battambang per boat only to find out I had a huge nest of fire ants in my Backpack. After failing to remove them all myself they helpen me to kill them all.
Also u get a free drink upon arrivel and the staff in general is so friendly and helpfull. They recommended us the best restaurant in town. Rooms and shared shower are basic but fine. The communal area downstairs is cosy and makes it easy to meet people.

Also there is a tattoo shop on the roofterrace!

U Will not regret it if you stay here. I was so pleased with it all!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Whilst trying to get back to Phnom Penh for a visa appointment the bus company device decided they couldn't be bothered to take me despite booking the day before. They also didn't tell me. The staff here spent a good hour desperately ringing around trying to get me alternate transport and were just amazing. It's a great location in Battambang and will help with getting you to the bat cave, bamboo railway or whatever you want really.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We had been meaning to try Here Be Dragons for a meal anyway, and after walking away from the catastrophic service at another nearby restaurant, we headed here for dinner on a Sunday evening. We ordered a number of dishes, the most outstanding of which to me were the spicy lemograss chicken and a papaya salad. The salad was tasty and fresh, extremely generous for the $1.50 price. When the lemongrass chicken dish was listed as spicy, I, a lover of hot food, told our server, one of the owners, that it was okay to pull out all the stops on the spicy train. They did. Well prepared and tasty, I enjoyed this dish very much. As we live in a house in Battambang, I cannot rate Dragons as a place to stay, but as a place to eat, they will be seeing my face again. One server/owner inquired as to whether my wine was okay (It was), another inquired as to whether the chicken was too spicy (It was not), so they obviously take customer service seriously here. All in all, a nice experience, and one I can recommend to others.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank rmezoff
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely nothing wrong with this place! Had an amazing time here.
The staff were amazing and we had a good game of drinking jenga which I'm sure they'll remember the aftermath (magicaroni...)
The dorm was clean and comfy and is everything you need from a backpacker guesthouse including great food and a great happy hour.
Will be back one day for sure!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends