“A fun ride!”
Review of Bamboo Train - CLOSED

Bamboo Train
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Welcome to Bamboo train Battambang !
Reviewed December 8, 2014

The ride itself is 20 minutes to a small village and back with a planned stay of 10-20mins. We paid 5$ per person. It was an amazing trip. You have to ignore that all the kids at the village try to sell you stuff. They showed us their village which was really cool. On the way back our engine broke which is why our driver had to push us for some time and later we were pushed by another bamboo train. Very chaotic but a lot of fun! It took us nearly three hours instead of one. Totally worth the time and money!

All reviews
in 39 reviews
"rice"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014

A great experience , the train travels slowly through the bush , great view as you sit on a platform , a little way out of town , reccomended .

Reviewed December 6, 2014

Good fun. Sitting on a cushion on a bamboo platform we were whisked along the tracks for a few kilometres. The views weren't so good as the track has shrubby growth along both sides so hard to see beyond it. A short stop at the other end to look at a local brick factory and the usual souvenir stalls, then back. Definitely worth doing but get there early - it gets crowded, and there's no shade on the train.

Reviewed December 6, 2014

I LOVED the Bamboo train so much.
Sure it's pricey and you feel obliged to purchase thing when it stops half way.... but it's definitely worth doing at least once!
People say it's a thrill. I found it more charming.
Skuttling along the dodgy tracks... I personally tried to catch dragon flies.
We stopped for a khmer woman to join us for a few stops - which was nice!
Definitely worth doing.

1  Thank Streetfightersarah
See more reviews
Reviewed December 2, 2014 via mobile

After reading this blog, I was very skeptic to go on the bamboo train, we were staying in Siem Reap and had been previously advised by a lone traveller in Bangkok to make the effort to go as it will soon be no more and is a great experience. We decided to go with it, the bus journey was not particularly enjoyable! (Capitol Tours) I think they're tge best to go with but as you may know, none of the bus journeys are great. We finally got to Battambang early afternoon and when getting off the bus we were mobbed by tuk tuk drivers which was quite funny as you didn't know who to choose! Our driver Som charged myself and partner $20 for a days trip to see the train and the bat caves/killing caves. We thought this was steep but we didn't mind. Off we went to the bamboo train and upon arrival a police man greeted us, asked where we were from - the usual. Som went off and the police man said we need to pay $5 each for an 50 min trip. We gladly paid a local with a beer in his hand and then our driver came, a young boy. The effort that these young men put into carting the bamboo trains about is unreal. Off we set and we instantly loved it, locals waving and smiling as we pass. It's quite uncomfortable as I suffer with a bad back but nothing to moan about. When we arrived at the other end, I knew about the hassling and decided to walk straight passed the children and mothers asking you to buy a drink or souvenir and visit the brick factory. This was free, it's not a lot but the woman was lovely so we bought a $4 t-shirt from her. We then decided to head back to the bamboo train but our driver was resting so we decided to have a can of beer. This WAS NOT warm, neither did we feel pressured to buy anything. We had a talk about local life with the owner of the 'shop' and her mother, her daughter made me a grasshopper from a coconut leaf which was superb. The driver called is over for our return journey, on the way he had to stop for on coming trains and he shared his berries with me that he picked off a tree which I thought was lovely. The lady at the shop did ask us to tip our driver however I understand why. They don't get the $5 pp charged for the trip. We did not mind one but paying $2 tip for such hard work in such a poor country. We don't have a lot of money for our total travelling experience (2 months covering SEA but I wouldn't be so stingy as to deny a small tip, a cold drink or a $1 bravely made by an 8 yr old child. I hope you go and experience this amazing trip :)