“So fun!!”

and up
Half-Day Battambang City Tour and Bamboo Train Ride
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Welcome to Bamboo train Battambang !
melbourne
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“So fun!!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I went along cos my friends were but I loved this! A great experience not to be missed.There's talk it's going to be closed down so if you're in Battambang do go and do it. It's like an amusement park ride without the ups and downs.

1 Thank muchachitaoz

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice tourist Activity”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I both thought it was a nice activity. Certainly not the greatest activity, but interesting. The bamboo train is a small platform sitting on small railway wheels, propelled by a small gasoline engine. You sit on the platform and the drive fires up the engine and drives you about 6 km on the track. You can see a little farming and fishing activity along the way. You end up at a very small village that survives on the tourist trade. They nicely attempt to get you to buy their wares. Little children gather around you and ask that you buy their hand made grasshoppers. They will guide you to a rice mill and explain how the mill works When you are done, then you get back on the platform and head back to the starting point. Certainly not an earthshaking activity, but fun nonetheless..

Perth, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“So much fun!!”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

This is a real surprisingly fun activity!! Just a nice fifteen min Tuk Tuk ride from town, you arrive at the train line! The staff are great and quickly whisk you onto your carriage!
We had the best driver who had fun photo bombing our selfie shots of us laughing as we set off!
It's a great activity for the whole family- heaps of fun for a cheap price!
Everyone needs to make a living so note that you get bombarded at the end of the track before turning to head back.
Great fun.

1 Thank CherryPearce
Bellingham, Washington
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Definitely an "E" ticket ride”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

At the crack of 8 Nicky (my tuk-tuk tour guide) picked me up and we sped away for the real tourist excursion of Battambong. There are many cultural sites, but the MUST SEE for tourists is the Bamboo Train. When Disneyland first opened you would get a booklet with many coupons in it. an A ticket might get you a ride on a trolly, but the cool rides like the Matterhorn were all E tickets (not to be confused with the current E-Ticket for planes) Well let me tell you the Bamboo Train is definitely an E ticket. First the two axles and wheels are set on the tracks, then the bamboo platform is placed on them and a small lawnmower type engine in attached. I rubber fan belt is looped around the pulley on the motor and you now have a bamboo train. The operator pull starts the engine, pulls a stick back and the belt tightens and you are off.

I went solo so got any seat on the train I wanted. Up front of course. It (honestly) was scarrier than riding on most rollercoasters. At least with a rollercoaster you have some assurance the darned thing is going to stay on the tracks and not fall to pieces. As we started to roll it sounded like a jet warming up and the the roar became deafening and the wind in my face started as the tracks and ties started to blur. The tracks look like a serpent in places, there are gaps between the rails and the rails do all meet at the same level. You are speeding down them at around 10 Mph, but it feels like 50. Occasionally you hit an exceptionally bad joint and for a half a second you wonder how come you aren't airborne. You might need a back surgeon when you get home, but for now you are still rolling and that is a good thing. If you meet another bamboo train going the opposite way, the one with the fewer passengers yields by removing their entire train and replacing it after the exchange. Now the bamboo train is strictly for tourists but in it's heyday it was used by the locals for transport and was most everywhere in the country.

Nicky advised me to avoid the sharks at the terminus and purchase my contribution to the local economy from the people at the brick factory. A young girl (5-6-7 (I can not guess ages here)) latched on to me and she toured the brick factory with me with surprisingly flawless English. At first I thought it was the human audio tour (Just repeating the words, but not grasping the meaning) but I was buying a Coke from her mother and would ask the mother a question and she would turn to the girl to find out what I asked. She was really a cute and smart girl.

I didn't submit this review when I was there in March because I heard the train was closing down. After seeing some reviews from January 2014 it seems the rumors were wrong. For the price of a Starbuck's Frappuccino you will have the ride of your life and never exceed 10 miles an hour.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Unique and kind of special, but yes not the cheapest compartively and there is not a huge amount to it”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We did this as part of a day tour with a local Tuk Tuk driver Tra Tra, along with the Bat Caves, the Killing Caves and Wat Banam Temple - you can pick and chose which sites you see but overall the day was an awesome experience with a great guide knowledgeable about local history/religion and keen to help you experience his country
(you can arrange trips with mr.sopheaktra@gmail.com or 078710900)

Specifically for the Bamboo train
- 10 USD for the trip non negotiable ($5 each for two people)
- Helps you understand some of the struggles of the country - this thing is still running on the countries only single line track (and originally there was no petrol engine!)
- Quite a unique experience especially seeing how they pass

- don't expect to see too much - its simple and the track only takes you to a local village with not much too see on the way
Nothing really to do at the village. a few factories which the local children who should really be in school will take you round for free then ask for a tip...

We tipped the children feeling bad that we had nothing better to give them, but in hindsight and having spoken to lots of NGO's in Siam Reap we highly regret this decision as it just encourages the wrong behavior.

Going forward we have decided just to buy drinks locally from adults at stalls and be armed with either books/pens/stickers/activities for the children we meet rather than anything of monetary value (they go mad for balloons!) these are all available cheaply in the market in town