“Way better than I expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chhaya Hotel

and 1 more site!
Chhaya Hotel
Ranked #17 of 45 Battambang B&B and Inns
Berkeley, California
“Way better than I expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

I found Chaya after roaming the streets after my bus ride from Siem Reap, and while at first I was a bit sketched out by the owner meeting me out on the street and telling me not to walk any further because his place was the best, after 2 nights I have to admit the place is not half-bad, and actually better than that.

I first took a basic room with fan for $5 because all the forms were full. It was basic, had a fridge that didn't work (I didn't need it), and everything was clean. The next day, as promised, they moved me to a dorm room for $3 and if anyone else moved in they told me we'd split the price equally (so it'd be $1.50 room with 2 people, $1 each with $3). No real good place to lock your stuff in the room but with no one else there I wasn't bothered.

In terms of security, I noticed at least 5 people at all times of the day and night walking around with walkie-talkies and sitting on chairs in the hallways. Made me feel very good about safety and leaving my stuff in the rooms.

I wouldn't call the staff rude as much as they are indifferent. They want to make money, and helping you plan out your trip does nothing for them. Instead they want to pass you off to the tuk tuk drivers who pay commission to stay in the lobby. Not a crazy idea in my opinion. And when I did approach them the right way, I was able to chat with the staff, and even the owner who told me about his philosophy of opening a no nonsense hotel. And that's exactly what I think Chaya is.

The tuk tuk thing actually worked out great for me, and if you're planning to visit Battambang I would higly reccomend my moto driver Tha. You can email him at Tha_phatroTha@hotmail.com or call him at 012 857 686. Or if you're at Chaya just ask for him. He's an amazingly nice local who works in the rice fields but bought an old, 2 person moto to help make money for his family whenever it hasn't rained enough. He helped me plan my trip and was a great driver, took me to some other bonus spots I didn't even ask for, and anytime I wanted to stop to take a picture or check something out on the side of the road, his response was "Please!" since he really loves people who take an interest in his city. He'll also try to explain to you the history of everywhere you visit as much as he can (his English is fairly good), but be prepared to give his old moto a break by walking up some of the steeper parts to get to Sampouv. Meeting Tha definitely made my trip in Battambang.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank alwaf

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

Not very friendly staff, but great tuktuk driver from the hotel.
Twin beds quite clean and an ok bathroom.
TV and fridge didnt work.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

We were taken here by a tuk tuk driver and we figured for $10 it was fair value. Once we agreed to take a room the owner was rude demanding immediate payment by simply saying "you pay now" with no please or thank you. Then he asked us about our plans to Siem reap and told us that he could organize for us to get picked up and taken to the boat as well as the boat trip for $20 each. We took him on his word only to find out later on in the day that the cafe 2 doors down did the same thing for $16 each. The bed was ok, the pillows were small and totally hard and the water pressure in the shower was minimal and the overall room was rather run down and the staff walk through the hallways talking loudly to each other . We were also told that there was free wifi but as it turned out it was only available in the lobby As it turned out we had to stay an extra night in Battambang as the boat was not coming for another day so I cancelled my boat tickets, got my money back and went to that cafe to buy new ones and spent the extra night at the Lux hotel instead. Totally not recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rodders2011

Travelers are raving about these Battambang hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

Chaya Hotel is a no-frills guesthouse located in the centre of Battambang. Rooms are spotless clean with little decoration and functioning hot water and aircon - good value for the price ($10 for a double, excluding breakfast.

On the other side staff is utterly rude. They are helpful to organise trips and transportation, charging less than other places in Battambang, but they get visibly pissed off if one organises anything on his own as though the guest was their "ownership" and they had the right to a cut on everything he did in Battambang. This is even more annoying as tuktuk and taxi drivers usually roam in the hotel hall.

For example, one of them helped me find a taxi to the Thai border for a decent price while the hotel receptionist was absent. The hotel receptionist came back when everything was already settled and demanded that I pay the full amount to the hotel instead of the driver, in advance. I obviously denied and asked them if they could change $10 in smaller notes to give a $5 deposit to the driver. The receptionist gave me part of the change in riel on purpose, as the hotel only deals in dollars and he knew I was going to leave the country on the following day - he was just pissed I did not pay everything to him. Quite unacceptable.

All in all, use this hotel in Battambang to get clean and tidy no-frills rooms, but limit interaction with the staff to a minimum.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple