“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #19 of 45 Battambang B&B and Inns
kent
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I had arranged with the hotel to be met by their Tuk Tuk driver from the port (had taken a boat from Siem Reap). We were some 5 hours late...so I was extremely pleased that the driver was there to collect me.

The hotel is just up the road from the Port and a short stroll into the main town area. In honesty, there isn't much to do in the area once you have completed the tourist itinerary, so a couple of days should do it - as there isn't any night life to speak of.

The staff are all very helpful, no matter what time of day or night you speak with them. I booked their Tuk Tuk driver, Surate, for a whole day and found him to be very reliable and helpful with a good understanding of English.

They hotel does state that it has wifi - but it is touch and go...though they do have internet in the main reception area - but it is fairly slow (computers running off of floppy disk!).

The rooms are decorated in fantastic ornate wood and very spacious and clean. The shower room met expectations also.

Very good value for money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Concord, California
Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The staff are extremely nice, though they had a tendency to say "yes" to many things, even though they clearly had no idea what I was saying or they would say "no problem," which didn't apply to some of the situations I was asking about. But they did their best, can't ask much more than that. However, the manager was incredibly helpful with making arrangements, changing plans and providing every comfort and accommodation. She went above and beyond. She was truly wonderful! If I went back to Battambang, I would definitely stay at this hotel.

The only problem that I had associated with the hotel was with the tuk tuk driver they contracted with to pick me up from the bus station. They sent a tuk tuk driver to pick me up from the bus station, even though they were located a short walk from the bus station. Traveling with a crazy large backpack, I much appreciated the help. I was promptly taken to the hotel and quickly checked into my room. But here is where the problems began. First, the staff had the tuk tuk driver take my bag up to my room, which was nice and all, except he wouldn't leave unless I agreed to use him the next day. He told me the price for the tour was the same as Siem Reap. I tried to tell him that I would thing about it and talk to reception, but he just kept talking and wouldn't leave, so I agreed to pay him $20 and he said he would take me to the caves, the temple and the bamboo train. Well, I went down to reception a bit later and spoke with the manager who informed me that the 3 places I wanted to go shouldn't cost more than $13. I told her about the tuk tuk driver and she said she would call him and work it out. Well, the next morning, I see the tuk tuk driver waiting in the lobby. I tried to confirm with him the lesser price and he told me that it was only for 2 places. I told.the manager and she promptly found me a new driver who only charged me $13. So,if you plan on doing anything in or around Battambang, ask reception FIRST!

One thing to note, the manager is the only one who can use the credit card machine, so if you are paying by credit card, be sure to do it while she's around. When I went to check out, the staff on duty just kept asking me for cash and when I said I planned to pay by credit card, they informed me that the manager was the only person who could operate the machine, but they could go with me to the bank. I found this last bit slightly odd. In the end, it got worked out, but just be aware...

Oh, if you are planning on getting a visa for Vietnam, the Vietnam Consulate is right around the corner. Be aware, they charge $40, not the $35 quoted in the Lonely Planet guidebook. But the good thing is, if you go first thing in the morning, have your paperwork all filled out prior to, had been issued a Vietnam visa before, it shouldn't take that long. It took about 15 minutes for me to get in and out.Plenty of time to taking a cooking class, just don't go to the Smoking Pot.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Zoetermeer, Netherlands
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Very tired after a long trip from Sihanoukville I chose this hotel just because it is close to the bus station - and it was a pleasant surprise. The building is juist a few years old, but the entrance is full of tradtional Khmer wood carving.
For just $15 I had a wonderful room and excellent service and personnel who spoke quite good English. Breakfast is included, and free bicycles are available.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
London
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Well after the disappointing Waterside Guest House in Phnom Penh this place was a revelation. Same price but the rooms were large, very clean and everything worked. Nice modern bathrooms that you could swing a cat in and classical wooden furniture. Apparently the building is an ex bank and the quality shows throughout. Free good reception WiFi, pick up from the bus station, bikes and OK breakfast in the huge reception area - all held together by the super efficient general manager Ms Sodavy Phay who was always on hand to help. She even went to the trouble of providing gluten free bread for my packed lunch (I’m cursed with coeliac disease) on the slow boat trip to Siem Reap. In brief a very nice, comfortable good value hotel - just what you need after a long hot bus journey (after being ripped off by the previous hotel on the bus fare to Battambang) definitely recommended. And I hear they are doing really good deals in 2011 to celebrate the opening of their new hotel. Iincidentally the boat trip to Siem Reap said to be ‘scenic’ (never felt seeing river banks covered in waste plastic bags was ‘scenic’) seems to be basically a service for the locals with tourists paying the price on a packed, noisy boat and the worst toilet you have ever experienced. With the income from this packed tourist boat you would expect better. Oh and ignore the picture of the smart, modern boat on the ticket – what you get is an overloaded wreck and charmless crew. The worst value $18.00 worth of travel in Asia) – take the bus - half the time and over half the price.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Excellent value at $17 per night double including a very good cooked breakfast served at a huge table made from a single piece of Cambodian tropical timber with seats to match made from roots. The timber in the foyer is a woodworker’s dream, sourced by the engineer owner at a time when such wood was legal to purchase. Even in our room, the wood theme was continued; the room was very clean and comfortable, with an enclosed shower in the bathroom (i.e. the water didn’t spray all over the toilet).

The service was exemplary, guests are regarded as one of the (honoured) family during the stay. Free tuk-tuk to hotel, a stone’s throw from the bus depot. Helpful tourist information, suggestions to suitable restaurants, seats on the Battambang to Siem Reap boat booked at no commission and free tuk-tuk ride to Siem Reap at the other end.

I certainly would only look elsewhere in Battambang if the Banyan was fully booked, and no, I am not being paid a commission or any other perk.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I genuinely don't know whether the language barrier caused us to not rate this hotel but we can truly said we had a bizarre experience.
Started off by not getting our complimentary tuk tuk from the boat drop off and then to wait in reception whilst the staff confirmed the booking - they couldn't find it. We then got taken to a room which was empty on the first floor but are offered to get upgraded to the second floor. Of course we accepted, but to find two people in bed in the other room was quite a surprise! The member of staff either didn't understand or didn't believe us so he checked the room again - never met the people but did feel slightly embarrassed for them.
Rooms were big and a lot of dark traditional wood - not sure what you need a three seated wooden bench with no cushion for exactly? Nicely carved though.
Breakfast was alright but a little bizarre although you could se the staff trying to make an effort. The swimming pool isn't quite there yet but should make a nice bonus! Think you could get better for your money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ianinsaigon

Travelers are raving about these Battambang hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2011

The Banan was a very clean and friendly place to stay. There was at least one member of staff who spoke excellent English, and others were very helpful. They arranged boat travel to Siem Reap for us, and gave us a map and bikes for the day we wanted to go exploring. The room was spacious, with lovely carved wooden bedframes and chairs. The bathroom had a self contained shower - a rarity for this part of the world - which meant you could keep your feet dry while using the sink. Breakfast was pretty basic, omelette, bread and bananas, but there was plenty of it and it's included in the room price. It's about a five or ten minute walk to where Battambang's very small centre lies, but that does mean it's nice and quiet.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends