“Great hotel and helpful staff”
Review of Banan Hotel

Banan Hotel
Ranked #18 of 45 Battambang B&B and Inns
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and helpful staff”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Arrived on the boat and found the lovely Banan after a short walk. It's a little more expensive than the average Cambodian flophouse but the quality of room, facilities and building was brilliant. Arrived late and thanks to the extremely helpful female boss we were taken to the bamboo train whilst they booked, picked up, and delivered our onward boat tickets to our room. Up early the next morning and the same lady prepared us a great breakfast before arranging our tuk tuk back to the boat free of charge.

Brilliant. I wish it was a little more accessible so we could return!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights in a very spacious double room with lots of storage space. The staff that speak English are helpful and courteous. The airconditioing works well and the bathroom is very clean and tidy. The pool has not been built yet, but you can use the pool at the Stung Sanke a block away for $5 per visit. There is some traffic noise (it is on NH5!) but I still slept ok. The main drawback with this hotel is that it is a bit of a walk to the main eateries like White Rose, Gecko Cafe etc but a $1 tuk tuk ride can solve that problem. Breakfast is an omellete, roll and some bananas - I wouldn't bother with it (much nicer breakfast options like Sunrise Cafe not to far away) , and also I dont know for sure, but I was sick 8 hours after eating it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
UNITEDKINGDOM
Reviewed April 2, 2011

the hotel is far too expensive for what you get. dont forget you are in Cambodia, where there are cheaper and better rooms.

in our room we found cockroaches in our room, especially in the bathroom i could not even enter the room without my husband killing them ewwww.

The shower although was large, gushed out water all over the floor of the bathroom.

The hotel however was very quick to respond to emails that i sent to them prior to my arrival.

the breakfast was very simple, scrambelled eggs and toast, with tea or coffee.

the location of the hotel was fine and you could walk to the town, but nightlife is very quiet. The staff were fine, but did not really go out of their way to welcome you or help you in your stay.

the price of the room was far too expensive.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MISS-TRAVEL101
Munich, Germany
Reviewed March 23, 2011

we spend two 2 nights there after online booking with agoda. upon arrival we were asked if we wished a room with good WIFI. now that room might be the one with the worst view directly into the construction site of the hotel extension. construction noise started at about 6AM and the WIFI connection was not good at all probably due to a generally bad internet connection of the hotel. Linen was not really clean.

the reception staff was very friendly and mentioned that after extension there will be pool and bar. at present, however, the hotel looks a bit run-down.

The hotel-associated tuk-tuk driver 'chenda' was the best driver/guide we ever had. great english!

At present I would not recommend the hotel, maybe try again after the construction finished.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank drowningWitch
kent
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I had arranged with the hotel to be met by their Tuk Tuk driver from the port (had taken a boat from Siem Reap). We were some 5 hours late...so I was extremely pleased that the driver was there to collect me.

The hotel is just up the road from the Port and a short stroll into the main town area. In honesty, there isn't much to do in the area once you have completed the tourist itinerary, so a couple of days should do it - as there isn't any night life to speak of.

The staff are all very helpful, no matter what time of day or night you speak with them. I booked their Tuk Tuk driver, Surate, for a whole day and found him to be very reliable and helpful with a good understanding of English.

They hotel does state that it has wifi - but it is touch and go...though they do have internet in the main reception area - but it is fairly slow (computers running off of floppy disk!).

The rooms are decorated in fantastic ornate wood and very spacious and clean. The shower room met expectations also.

Very good value for money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Concord, California
Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The staff are extremely nice, though they had a tendency to say "yes" to many things, even though they clearly had no idea what I was saying or they would say "no problem," which didn't apply to some of the situations I was asking about. But they did their best, can't ask much more than that. However, the manager was incredibly helpful with making arrangements, changing plans and providing every comfort and accommodation. She went above and beyond. She was truly wonderful! If I went back to Battambang, I would definitely stay at this hotel.

The only problem that I had associated with the hotel was with the tuk tuk driver they contracted with to pick me up from the bus station. They sent a tuk tuk driver to pick me up from the bus station, even though they were located a short walk from the bus station. Traveling with a crazy large backpack, I much appreciated the help. I was promptly taken to the hotel and quickly checked into my room. But here is where the problems began. First, the staff had the tuk tuk driver take my bag up to my room, which was nice and all, except he wouldn't leave unless I agreed to use him the next day. He told me the price for the tour was the same as Siem Reap. I tried to tell him that I would thing about it and talk to reception, but he just kept talking and wouldn't leave, so I agreed to pay him $20 and he said he would take me to the caves, the temple and the bamboo train. Well, I went down to reception a bit later and spoke with the manager who informed me that the 3 places I wanted to go shouldn't cost more than $13. I told her about the tuk tuk driver and she said she would call him and work it out. Well, the next morning, I see the tuk tuk driver waiting in the lobby. I tried to confirm with him the lesser price and he told me that it was only for 2 places. I told.the manager and she promptly found me a new driver who only charged me $13. So,if you plan on doing anything in or around Battambang, ask reception FIRST!

One thing to note, the manager is the only one who can use the credit card machine, so if you are paying by credit card, be sure to do it while she's around. When I went to check out, the staff on duty just kept asking me for cash and when I said I planned to pay by credit card, they informed me that the manager was the only person who could operate the machine, but they could go with me to the bank. I found this last bit slightly odd. In the end, it got worked out, but just be aware...

Oh, if you are planning on getting a visa for Vietnam, the Vietnam Consulate is right around the corner. Be aware, they charge $40, not the $35 quoted in the Lonely Planet guidebook. But the good thing is, if you go first thing in the morning, have your paperwork all filled out prior to, had been issued a Vietnam visa before, it shouldn't take that long. It took about 15 minutes for me to get in and out.Plenty of time to taking a cooking class, just don't go to the Smoking Pot.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Zoetermeer, Netherlands
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Very tired after a long trip from Sihanoukville I chose this hotel just because it is close to the bus station - and it was a pleasant surprise. The building is juist a few years old, but the entrance is full of tradtional Khmer wood carving.
For just $15 I had a wonderful room and excellent service and personnel who spoke quite good English. Breakfast is included, and free bicycles are available.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo