“The Rose Puzzle Warped in a Mystery” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Rose

White Rose
Ranked #23 of 105 Restaurants in Battambang
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“The Rose Puzzle Warped in a Mystery”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

The White Rose Restaurant nestled in the heart of Battambang’s city center is a puzzle warped in a mystery. It’s an expansive corner eatery that serves a hybrid western-Cambodian fare. The place is perpetually crowded; with a mix of foreigners and locals. One might assume with that kind of thriving business it would indicate that its cuisine was something special.
It ain’t.
Actually the two times I dined there the dishes I had were disappointing. They ranged from mediocre (the chicken curry) to awful (the so-called chili con carne).
The chicken curry was a listless affair of insipid curry sauce, wide white noodles and a smattering of small pieces of boiled chicken. For inexplicable reasons the curry included soggy French fries mixed in the soup. All in all the curry was not offensive, just instantly forgettable.
Now the chili was in a dismal class all by itself. In all my years as a chili aficionado I’ve never tasted a batch of chili that was so non-chili. Not sure how to describe it except that in no way could what I was served be called chili- maybe stir fried veggies with shoe-leather beef, but certainly not chili.
The service was predictably slow and the hospitality staff not very hospitable. I don’t mind a long wait for decently prepared food, but for the low quality at the Rose, it’s annoying.
Which comes to the puzzle warped in a mystery: how on earth does a restaurant do such a brisk business when its food is so lackluster?

Visited May 2014
1 Thank DiceyEye

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Queenstown, New Zealand
“MAGGOTS IN THE FOOD!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

We have just walked out of this place as half way through out meal my girlfriend noticed there were maggots in her meal. Whilst complaining the owner (or who we assumed to be the owner as he seemed in charge) picked one of the maggots off the food and gestured as if we should carry on eating. Before we had noticed it the maggots the food was very average anyway. As we stood up to complain some homeless kids grabbed the plates and ate the remainder on the floor, this didn't seem to phase the owner either.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank MrTravelPants86
siem reap cambodia
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Sitting upstairs was a nice way to watch the goings-on down on the street. Food was great and cheap but service was a bit slow. But they were very busy.

Visited April 2014
Colden, New York
“Went here for lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Battambang does not have hundreds of restaurants to choose from like Siem Reap or Phnom Penh. This place was recommended by our tuk tuk driver plus I had read fairly favorable reviews before we left home January 2014. It's a large place with seating on 2 floors. We were told the 2nd floor was full and the downstairs was pretty packed also. It is lunch time so I wasn't expecting speedy service but like some other posts it was much slower than I thought it would be. We ordered a side dish of french fries and soups-noodle soup with vegetables & big noodle soup with chicken. As we waited and I wondered what was taking so long my husband directed my attention to a girl off to the right who was chopping/cutting up vegetables. If they're not pre cut then that's what takes so long. When the soup arrives it is very tasty and steaming hot. French fries were so so. The soups were the stars. Cost for the 2 of us was $9 including the drinks we had as we waited.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Foods are ok, but bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

I ate there because it was recommend by lovely planet, but finally I had a big disappointment , I was waiting for almost 1 hour time, that was terrible , because no body came and say excuse to me, not a good atmosphere full of mosquito. not recommend restaurant.

Visited April 2014