“Great cooking class!”

Smokin' Pot
Ranked #7 of 125 Restaurants in Battambang
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cooking school and restaurant of Khmer and Thai food operating since 2000. Come learn traditional Khmer dishes at our home kitchen using clay pots, steamers and banana leaves
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My wife and I just took the Khmer cooking class with Vannak, the owner of Smokin' Pot. It started with a shopping trip to the nearby market, just a short walk.
Class was at the front edge of the restaurant, so we were essentially outside, but well out of the sun. The first half hour was spent chopping and preparing our ingredients. Vannak was good about explaining about the spices and ingredients and how to prepare. Next was wok cooking the beef with basil leaves stir fry. Vannak was very attentive and very efficient. That dish was one of my favorites of the week. Next came the wok cooking of our fish amok, again, very tasty. Finally he prepared a mango salad for us.
For ten dollars each we had a very entertaining and practical cooking class, plus a delicious lunch! And, we were given cookbooks with twelve recipes and detailed descriptions of Khmer ingredients.
I heartily recommend this class to anyone who wants to have fun learning Khmer cookery, followed by a delicious lunch.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

One thing I've missed most from Cambodia is the delicious Lok Lak! I heard mixed reviews about this place but decided to check it out for dinner. Knowing it was a Khmer restaurant I decided to check out the Lok Lak (I think I got a chicken Lok Lak which is not that common). The curry it self was delicious with all the flavours and spices I had been expecting. The overall feel of the restaurant was also quite authentic, not quite a street stall but not quite a fancy sit down restaurant either. Overall a great feed if your in the mood for Cambodian food.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

the food was not bad but nothing to write home about it. staff were nice. would not recomend as there are better places to eat, like angkor restaurant or gecko cafe

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

How come this place could be rated 4/5! We have been there and the food is just average so my quote. The place seems quite dirty but we didn't had digestion trouble though. But seeing a rat doesn't gives a good feeling (yes it wasn't the little cat, it was a proper big fat rat). You could find better

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend took part in their cooking class yesterday morning. What a wonderful experience. For only $10 a head it is affordable for everyone. The class starts with a trip to the local market to gather all of your ingredients. Then the cooking class is just brilliant. You produce beautiful food and learn so much about khmer cuisine! Do it!