“If you're in Battambang, why not?”
Review of Gecko Cafe - CLOSED

Gecko Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Phnom Penh
“If you're in Battambang, why not?”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Gecko had some great vego options, and even though overpriced I thought - why the heck not it's a good cause.

The food was good, I had a vege burger with chips. The waitress serving me wasn't very attentive, though it was packed and being a waitress myself I didn't mind too much (except when I wanted to leave and it took her 15 minutes to get me the bill).

There were two things that really frustrated me, one was as mentioned in another post asking for tips - I mean asking for tips is a nono anyway in my book, let alone if you have an entire A4 paper written up on food prices being so high to give staff fair pay. On top of this they asked for tips for both wait staff and the chefs.

I'm sorry but I don't tip if it's asked for, no matter how good the service. Tipping is something staff should not expect!

The gecko shop downstairs was the other thing that disappointed me. When I first purchased a necklace in the shop I was lead to believe all items in the shop were made in Cambodia. The next day curiosity got the better of me and I went back to ask a different store person. While the gentleman said he thought a few things were made in Cambodia, he could not find one piece of jewellery which he could say definitely was - as it was all made in Thailand.
I have bought many beautiful items of jewellery in Cambodia which are ALL made in Cambodia as I want to support local people and especially NGO's who support minority and impoverished groups. I wouldn't buy anything else from the store when there are so many other organisations which support locals directly.

All in all - go there for a meal if you are around town, but it would be great to see a change in the store where they supported local Cambodian businesses by stocking local products.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Nellie835

Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Yummy cakes and light meals. Excellent coffee and smoothies. Staff keen to help and whole enterprise is designed I think to help train young people in this business.

Visited March 2012
penzance
“gecko”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very happy place to be . Waitresses lovely friendly and fun. Food good to breathtaking, try coconut chicken and lime fish

• Visited September 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A nice place for a drink and a bite”
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

The location is beatiful, very central and in an old french building with a nice balcony. The food is pretty good and the staff is friendly. I read it is supposed to be Battambangs answer to the FCC in Pnomh Penh. And I guess it is, I prefer FCC but for a sleepy provincial town like Battambang it is a good and lively bar/restaurant.

Sydney, Australia
“A great spot for dinner”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Gecko Cafe offers tasty food and delicious drinks in a prime spot in Battambang. It is in a French colonial-style building on a street corner, with the verandahs the perfect spot for people watching.

I had a really good pad thai, washed down with a couple of beers and, to finish, a coconut freeze, I think it was called - a coconut, ice and yoghurt/milk kind of drink, fantastic. With tips, it all came to about $15.

Visited October 2012