“Very helpful and smiling staff”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Battambang
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed 3 days, and had probably the best treatment there in our three weeks in Cambodia. Helpful, smiling. Got us a private taxi to Poipet for 25 USD.
Restaurant on top limited selection, but OK food.
A drawback was, that our room on the 3rd floor (no lift) was directly under the restaurant, so one day we were woken up at 5.30 by the scramble of chairs from a party leaving and thus having breakfast that early (but this good service for them)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 23, 2010

Lovely hotel that's great value for money. Large rooms, great reception area and nice bar/cafe/restaraunt on the roof for a few drinks at the end of a hard days sightseeing. Staff very friendly, food very good and central for a walk about town. We had a great time here.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I couldn't decide on a hotel to stay in Battambang before I arrived as there didn't seem to be a huge choice of accommodation and there weren't any handsdown winners according to the reviews. So I arrived in town, got in a tuk tuk and checked out quite a few hotels; Star, Asia, Banan, Royal, Rattanak resort and newly opened Bambu. O fcourse Bambu is the nicest, they also charge you $50+ a night so if you can afford that just go straight there. But for $13/night Star hotel is most definitely worth a look. It's right across from the bus stop where the buses to/from Siem Reap and Phmom Penh stop. It's less than a 5 minute walk to central market. The hotel reception was very vast and clean. I was there during a quiet time so it looked almost too empty and big. The man at reception was very nice, speaks very good English. Took me up to show me a room straightaway. Very large, airy room. AC worked great. Nice big bed, of course on the hard side, but don't expect anything else in Asia. Spotless linen. Plenty of floor and bench space. Huge, spotless bathroom in the typical Asian style of wet room but again, just get used to it if you are traveling in this part of the world. Plenty of hot water and great water pressure. I am very very particular about cleanliness and this hotel room didn't disappoint me in any way! No breakfast was included in the price but there is an in-house restaurant with cheap enough food and enough of a choice of places to grab breakie just 5 minute walk away. Only negative thing is, although I was told there was wifi, it didn't work in my room on the second floor but it worked in the lobby plus there is a computer in the lobby for guest use. I probably could've bargained the price down a little considering there was no breakfast and wifi but I didn't try. All the staff were really nice and go out of their way to help you. All in all, a REALLY good hotel, great price, if you are after clean & central accommodation in Battambang do your selves a favour and check this place first!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank RachSydney2010
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Star Hotel and its sister hotel Asia hotel are both great value places. Star, the more expensive brother of the two has really nice rooms, with big beds and a choice for fan or aircon in most of them. The rooms were well kept, wifi was present throughout, and the bathrooms were modest but sufficient. Staff is incredibly nice, and although the restaurant at the top is hardly ever full, it has nice views of Battambang and once again endearingly lovely people working there, and good food in the evenings.
All in all, a place I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2009

After great reviews we decided to stay at the Star. The rooms and foyer area seemed nice enough at first so we decided to stay. I opted for a room with a fan, expecting to be able to open a window for fresh air, however when I went to open the curtains I discovered that my room looked out on a dormitory for about 30 people working there. I will upload a photo in the next few days. So not only could I not have the window open there was no privacy. When the fan was on it blew the curtains and I was overlooked by any number of workers, all of whom were most interested in my every move. The music and general noise kept me awake. They cook, eat and sleep there. The bathroom is very small - shower goes all over toilet etc which I didn't mind, but the extractor fan is for show only as there wasn't even a switch to turn it on, so the shower room stays wet and makes the whole room hotter and wetter. We were promised free wifi, however as soon as we'd checked in were told it wasn't working. They said we could use the internet at the other hotel owned by them next door, however when I went there I was pointed to an internet cafe down the street. The guy at reception didn't speak very good English, which did make things a little difficult, although not his fault. He was very pleasant. We ate at the rooftop restaurant which wasn't particularly clean. The food was average and priced a bit above average although not by that much. We were approached by the remork (tuktuk) driver when we sat down who was very pushy. Staff at the desk asked us every time we came in or out to arrange a days tour for us - fair enough they are trying to make a few dollars, but how many times can you say we already have plans. The tuktuk driver who picked us up from the boat tried to persuade us to stay at The Royal which was not as nice as the Star and told us the Star was the same but 1km away (this was not true it was about 200m at most away and rooms definitely nicer). As he'd lied about that and a couple of other things there was really no way I was going to book a driver through the hotel as we would most likely have had him. After one not very restful night we checked out and found a great hotel with a pool for almost the same money as the Star, with air con and a good bathroom.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2009

I stayed at the Star at the end of March 09. After a 9 hour boat trip from Siem Reap I and the other handful of tourists were far outnumbered by the hotel touts as we arrived. Most of the placards seemed to be for The Royal. I shouted 'The Star' amongst the mayhem and was told that it belongs to the same company as The Royal and The Asie (it does). Free pick up, I looked around the Asie first (ok for real budget travellers, but no air-con. $6-$8 dollars for a room), then looked at The Star which is virtually next door. The Star looks almost new. They were happy to let me look at a room first. It was $15 for a single, $20 for a double. Spotless rooms, air con, teak huge bed, marble effect smart bathrooms, tv, fridge.

I booked one of the staff to take me on a moto ride to the countryside the next morning. He went very slowly and carefully out to the Bamboo train (well worth a look if you like hurtling along a snake like track at break neck speed holding on for dear life!). The same guy also sorted my bus ticket to Phnom Penh, delivering it to my room in the evening and giving me a lift right to the bus stop when I left.

All the staff are very friendly and literally come running when you enter the hotel or come down the steps to the lobby. So give it a go and shout 'The Star' to the guys waving The Royal placards when you arrive!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank beaupoet
Reviewed January 24, 2009

I was a member of a 23 person group (Teachers Across Borders) who spent almost 2 weeks at this hotel. It was just great-mainly because of the staff:friendly; honest; delightful. The owner (Pol) could not be more helpful. The hotel is clean and the food is excellent and cheap. The only downside is that there is no lift to the roof for older guests. a wonderful experience. thank you

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GuysAustralia