“My favorite hotel in all of Myanmar” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Empress Hotel

Golden Empress Hotel
Ranked #8 of 49 Nyaung Shwe B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“My favorite hotel in all of Myanmar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

After spending my first night in Nyaung Shwe in a rather scary room, I rented a bike bright and early the next morning set out to find a better spot. Knowing the crazy hotel situation in Myanmar (especially at the budget/mid-range level) I was prepared to be underwhelmed. And I was...every place was full or a dump. Then I rode by the lovely Golden Empress. They were full too, BUT, they must have seen the defeat in my face because the owners offered to let me stay in the 'family emergency' room and it was exactly what I needed. Super clean/spotless, quiet, shared bath, complimentary breakfast. In addition to the room, I loved everyone who worked there. Always big smiles, answering my (millions of) questions and helping out in more ways than one. Mr. Kyaw was more knowledgeable than the travel agents I was talking to, and helped me book my next place.

When I left to grab my night bus the owners and the staff all stood outside and waved me goodbye. Made my heart happy. I love this place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kpsanfrancisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
lux
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

the hotel is clean, completely decorated in wood, with free wifi in lobby and a free PC to access internet. On the PC you have free music of Burma, movies etc
I asked them for laundry, and the price was of 200 per piece. The day after the clothes they give me back were not cleaned correctly and they refund me without problems.
Taxi for Heho is around 20000, but we got it from them for 15000 and since we were 2 they proposed us to share. they where not obliged to inform us. I appreciated this attitude and service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kekenu
Chiang Mai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Let's face it, the hotels are all 200-500% more expensive than they should be, so the idea of a deal in Burma vs the rest of SE Asia is a bit different. But Golden Empress is an immaculately clean hotel off the main drag a bit. I paid $25/night in Oct 2012 and was greeted by fantastic staff, owners, and delicious breakfast each morning. My friend and I spent our last 2 days in Inle here and if you are looking for a place somewhere in the mid to low range budget wise, have a look here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark B
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Golden Empress and would highly recommend staying here along your stay in Inle Lake!! A group of us arrived in Nyaung Shwe around the time of the balloon festival in November and finding accommodation was impossible!! Our first night we ended up staying in the Monastery, luckily there was somewhere to stay other than the streets!! The next morning we went out on the search and found Mr. Kyaw and his wife to be most hospitable and accommodating!! After the prison bathroom hotel in Bagan, staying in the lovely, teak wood, bright windowed hotel was a breath of fresh air that rejuvenated our travel spirits!!
The most wonderful part of our stay here was how helpful and warm Mr. Kyaw and his wife were. They were ever so patient with all of our questions and travel needs! The breakfast is delicious and the staff are so sweet. The coffee is even REAL coffee, a wonderful way to start your day! When we complimented Mr. Kyaw on how nice it was to be staying in his hotel, he responded that he wanted to make it feel like home to the travelers that stay there. Well done Mr. Kyaw, well done!! I will never forget my stay there and will highly recommend it to any travelers that I know who are passing through Inle Lake!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christine H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Golden Empress is a real find in Nyaung Shwe. I had a very happy stay there in August 2012 and was made immediately welcome by the owner, Kyaw, and his amazingly friendly staff. I really did feel at home and very comfortable. Kyaw was very helpful in all aspects from local advice/information about trips, long-distance bus trips, flights, help with money changing and restaurants. The hotel has recently been refurbished and is decorated very tastefully in teak which gives the hotel a wonderful warm aroma when you enter.The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. All have en-suite showers and toilets and balconies. One big plus (when I had lost my adaptor) is that all rooms have multi-point plug sockets which fit all international plugs so no need to use an adaptor. The breakfasts are filling and delicious with a variety of choices and lots of fresh fruit. The room prices are very competitive and compare very favourably with many other hotels in the area. The hotel is located very close to the town and some very good restaurants. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo