“Very crowded on market days...that's what you want!”

Hpaung Daw U Pagoda
$36.00*
and up
Inle Lake Full Day Tour
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Don't come here unless it's market day. When that happens there will be lots of people (tourists and locals) and you'll see a little bit of everything! There will also be some great foods you can taste prepared by the vendors. The peanut brittle was awesome!

The pagoda itself was interesting. Inside are five amorphous Buddha statues that are paraded around Inle Lake every Oct/Nov for two weeks. The ceremonial barges are seen next to the pagoda. Camera fee for those who want to take photos of the gold leaf-covered blobs.

There are newer reviews for Hpaung Daw U Pagoda

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We visited the local five-day market beside the pagoda first and were prepared to trade the activity and frenzy of shopping for a beautiful experience in the pagoda itself. My friends decided not to take photos, but I couldn't resist even though it was 500 kyats. That's really hardly more than pennies when you consider it in the scheme of things. However, I was less than happy upon seeing the sign saying no women allowed beyond a certain point. "Oh well," I thought. "At least I can use my camera and get some idea of what it looks like close up." That's when I decided I could easily be persuaded to become a Buddhist Woman activist. I didn't mind seeing Myanmar-appearing Asian men up close applying gold leaf to the five now-unrecognizable Buddhas, but seeing tall white guys wearing backpacks standing so close they were ruining my hopes of a decent photo just made me want to go up and yell at them. They weren't applying gold leaf. They just went up close because they were men. Scream! I maintained my dignity, but just barely. I decided that I'd have my own five little Buddha Boy Snowmen so I went to the shop and bought some miniatures. The price in January: 20,000 kyats for the five of them. They are sitting on my bookshelf in their correct positions. No men are allowed to get close. Believe me on that!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The 4 buddha images from different villages around the lake were in the pagoda when we were there, all covered in thousands of layers of gold leaf. The golden royal duck looking barge is housed next door that transports these images around the lake at festival time. Many painting around the walls depicting the life of Buddha.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Pay another 500ks for camera and another 500ks for video.
I didn't bother in the end so didn't take photos but just walked around. This temple is about the 5 images of Buddha covered with gold leaf to a point where the images do not resemble the figure of Buddha. I asked one of the tour guides about these 5 "figures" but I could tell he was NOT eager or willing to share his information with me as I as NOT part of his tour group - fine, I can get this information anywhere myself. Don't keep it to yourself - some Buddhist spirit!!!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Before the visit to the Pagoda it's very nice to have a drink or lunch just in the restaurant in front of the Pagoda relaxing and watching the landscape of the Pagoda. Inside the Pagoda there are the 5 statues of Buddha: three of Buddha and two of his disciples - dating from the twelfth century and covered with gold leaf, that over the years the faithful have applied in such quantity as to make the statues unrecognizable.