“A place to stay before trekking”
Review of Mr Charles Hotel

Mr Charles Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hsipaw B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A place to stay before trekking”
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Mr Charles offered cheap, simple, clean rooms with a fan - we didn't really need anything else. A local trekking company comes to the guest house everyday between 4-6pm and you can book your trek with them - we highly recommend them! My overnight trek through Mr Charles was one of the highlights of my trip to Myanmar.

The shared bathrooms had hot, powerful showers and are exactly what you need when you come back from a long and muddy trek!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Zeist, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Not far from town center, a nice and clean hotel. The rooms are oke but do not expect to much. Beds are good, linnen is clean and no bugs in the room. Bathroom with shower but no cabin so everything gets wet! Good wifi connection. Next to the hotel there is a 'hotel' for backpackers from the same owner. I do not know how this one is. To get your drinks and snacks for on the go you just cross the street and do not have to walk the mile to the towncenter.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wim_EU
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed three nights in double a/c room $25 per night, staff are all extremely friendly and helpful, trekking company and guides are on site offering half-day, full day and two/three day treks in the surrounding hills and villages. Self-guided walks of the town and local Shan villages were done with basic maps of local walks given to us at check-in, the upstairs balcony with complimentary tea and peanuts is a good spot to chill and meet other guests, wifi was good, room comfortable and clean, laundry service worked ok, breakfasts good. Some decent restaurants close by. A great place to stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I checked into Charles Hotel because I'd heard it was all right.
I was really disappointed that the cleaning ladies came in and started conversing loudly. Another woman came in and woke me up, saying that there might be some confusion about whether or the girls who left previously accidentally paid for my stay as well.
When I got up, I asked, "I thought check out was at 11:30?" To which the woman said that I could stay until 11:30 if I wasn't feeling well. I felt fine, I just wanted to enjoy the air-conditioned room until check out time since my bus wasn't leaving until 5:30pm.
I got up to sort out my bill. I was told earlier that I could pay with credit card, but when I tried, the two men at the front desk looked at my card and said simply, "No." So I went and got another woman, who said that I WAS able to pay with a card.
But the worst part was their laundry service. DO NOT USE THEIR LAUNDRY SERVICE. Not only is it overpriced, but most of my clothes were still dirty when I got them back. And they downright ruined one of my shirts. It came back with two holes (one extremely large) and a huge stain down the side. If I had to guess, it would be that it must have fallen off of their clothesline and was somehow destroyed on the ground. Rather than say anything to me, they folded it and put it in the bag like nothing had happened. I am now all the way in Bangkok and can do nothing about my destroyed shirt. While I was there, something similar happened to the socks of another girl.
Overall, I was extremely disappointed. I wish I'd gone with other recommendations for Lily Guesthouse.

Room Tip: Don't ever use their laundry service!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Hsipaw hotels

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I spent there 4 nights. I was very sick and staff helped me a lot. Boy from reception helped me to find hospital and was my translator there. Also they gave me discount for room because I had a fever and couldn't move. Cheap rooms are small but clean.
Good breakfast with big choice.
Shared bathroom is clean and have hot water.
Thanks for all!

• Stayed May 2014
Munich, Germany
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed here for one night, in a rather expensive A/C room (32 $!). The room was nice enough, but not really large enough to justify that amount of money, especially since they have a large amount of cheaper rooms without A/C, the cheapest a box-size twin room at 8 $ (for single occupancy).
It's the place where most of the foreigners in Hsipaw stay and a good base for half-day excursions to the countryside. It's about a 15-minute walk from the bus stop on the Mandalay-Lashio Road or the train station (a very nice experience is the 7-hour ride to Pyin Oo Lwin over the Goktei Viaduct, at 3,750 Kyat in Upper Class). The two nice terraces are about the only place where something is happening in Hsipaw at night.

Room Tip: A/C rooms are overpriced, others are okay. Rooms in the new building on the side of the staircase ha...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I spent few days there with two friends, it was really nice!
Clean and nice room with bathroom, a terrace (balcon) where we met people and spent really good times (with seats, tea and peanuts for everybody), a breakfast included (pancake, jam, fruit, egg, soup... juice, coffee and tea...).
The team who work there is really available and friendly!
They propose somes trecks with guide, massage, laundry...
There is a lots of books that you can read (you can find differents languages), place to dry your clothes when you wash it... everything we need!

So really nice place where I spent some good lazy days and met nice people on this famous terrace!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends