“Ruined a shirt, had to check out 3 hours early”
Review of Mr Charles Hotel

Mr Charles Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hsipaw B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I checked into Charles Hotel because I'd heard it was all right.
I was really disappointed that the cleaning ladies came in and started conversing loudly. Another woman came in and woke me up, saying that there might be some confusion about whether or the girls who left previously accidentally paid for my stay as well.
When I got up, I asked, "I thought check out was at 11:30?" To which the woman said that I could stay until 11:30 if I wasn't feeling well. I felt fine, I just wanted to enjoy the air-conditioned room until check out time since my bus wasn't leaving until 5:30pm.
I got up to sort out my bill. I was told earlier that I could pay with credit card, but when I tried, the two men at the front desk looked at my card and said simply, "No." So I went and got another woman, who said that I WAS able to pay with a card.
But the worst part was their laundry service. DO NOT USE THEIR LAUNDRY SERVICE. Not only is it overpriced, but most of my clothes were still dirty when I got them back. And they downright ruined one of my shirts. It came back with two holes (one extremely large) and a huge stain down the side. If I had to guess, it would be that it must have fallen off of their clothesline and was somehow destroyed on the ground. Rather than say anything to me, they folded it and put it in the bag like nothing had happened. I am now all the way in Bangkok and can do nothing about my destroyed shirt. While I was there, something similar happened to the socks of another girl.
Overall, I was extremely disappointed. I wish I'd gone with other recommendations for Lily Guesthouse.

Room Tip: Don't ever use their laundry service!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Mr Charles Hotel

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I spent there 4 nights. I was very sick and staff helped me a lot. Boy from reception helped me to find hospital and was my translator there. Also they gave me discount for room because I had a fever and couldn't move. Cheap rooms are small but clean.
Good breakfast with big choice.
Shared bathroom is clean and have hot water.
Thanks for all!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed here for one night, in a rather expensive A/C room (32 $!). The room was nice enough, but not really large enough to justify that amount of money, especially since they have a large amount of cheaper rooms without A/C, the cheapest a box-size twin room at 8 $ (for single occupancy).
It's the place where most of the foreigners in Hsipaw stay and a good base for half-day excursions to the countryside. It's about a 15-minute walk from the bus stop on the Mandalay-Lashio Road or the train station (a very nice experience is the 7-hour ride to Pyin Oo Lwin over the Goktei Viaduct, at 3,750 Kyat in Upper Class). The two nice terraces are about the only place where something is happening in Hsipaw at night.

Room Tip: A/C rooms are overpriced, others are okay. Rooms in the new building on the side of the staircase ha...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I spent few days there with two friends, it was really nice!
Clean and nice room with bathroom, a terrace (balcon) where we met people and spent really good times (with seats, tea and peanuts for everybody), a breakfast included (pancake, jam, fruit, egg, soup... juice, coffee and tea...).
The team who work there is really available and friendly!
They propose somes trecks with guide, massage, laundry...
There is a lots of books that you can read (you can find differents languages), place to dry your clothes when you wash it... everything we need!

So really nice place where I spent some good lazy days and met nice people on this famous terrace!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Our room on the upper floor in the central building of the guesthouse was great and very good value, considering that breakfast was plentiful (we could choose from a great variety of breakfast items on a buffet, including a delicious Shan noodle soup). Staff and family members were very friendly and helpful and provided us with suggestions for hiking around Hsipaw. At our request they provided us with a pleasant and knowledgeable guide, who spoke good English, showed us around fields and villages and answered our many questions regarding the life of the local people, buddhism and nat-worship, agriculture and Myanmar society. Mr. Charles is a true pioneer as a host to foreign travellers with an impressive family history - very interesting, open-minded and gracious, as are his charming wife, daughters and his son – it was wonderful meeting them all. It is now the younger generation who is mainly in charge of the enterprise. Sam/Basel/Switzerland

Room Tip: We preferred the room on the upper floor. Tip: Make sure to reconfirm your choice of room and price...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I came here two time, the first with my girlfriend and the second one alone. I paid the double room with shared bathroom 12$ at night and the single one 7$. The rooms are simple but clean. The showers are huge and the water very hot! They have also a really big and good breakfast. The staff speak a really good english and they are very kind and helpful, my girlfriend was sick and they asked me every time how she feel. Thay organize also trekking, and the guide are really prepared and also them speaka really good english. Also they come to the bus station and the railway station to pick up for free, nothing better

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed at Mr. Charles guest house in December. Staffs were very helpful and patient even though they are busy. They are always there to help you with a quick action. I was sick for 3 days--try to stay in the guesthouse, enjoy a couple of day reading some books ( from book shelf) at their common balcony, there is a handy pharmacy in the compound-- there is a doctor as well. Complimentary Tea is always there for any guests. Staffs are nice and helpful, breakfast is delicious, room is comfortable, healthcare, a nice public area to sit and chat with people or read. So what else do you need. I recommend this place 100 percent.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends