“Incredibly helpful staff, but new rooms need to be "completed"”
Review of Mr Charles Hotel

Mr Charles Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hsipaw B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hsipaw (pronounced by the Burmese as Thibaw), is perhaps one of the northernmost outposts for tourists in Myanmar (Kachin state is out of bounds, given the civil unrest).
Hsipaw also represents the influence from neighboring China: Shan villagers have rented their fields to the Chinese, who send Chinese people to grow watermelons on these lands, using fertilizers and pesticides that are otherwise uncommon in Myanmar
Mr Charles has been responding to increased tourism and is evolving from a backpackers haven to a more full service hotel. We had the largest room in the new wing- Room 309, which is classified as a junior suite. As one enters the room, one is wowed by the large room size and the dark wooden furniture. But then, one gets the feeling that the contractors had just left the room five minutes before you arrived!
The bathroom fittings are loose: the faucet is not fixed to the underlying washbasin sink, the door knob came off in my hand, and the water definitely takes a while to get hot
That said, the staff will bend over backwards to accommodate your needs and are really wonderful people
Breakfast is, shall we say, a little unique: you may choose between a Shan soup, or a fried egg on a plate of rice and beans, or an egg with toast, butter and jam. The fried egg on rice and beans is actually not that bad, once one has overcome the internal question of "is this breakfast or lunch?". Dinner at this hotel is very basic, fried rice or fried noodles, but there are other options on the main street. WiFi is painfully slow

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mr Charles Hotel

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Because I was ill when I arrived, I needed to take one of the expensive rooms as a toilet was of the utmost importance. The room looked very nice, but I later discovered not everything worked. When I reported it I was told it would be fixed the next day. It wasn't, so I reported it again. However, the attitude of the lady who runs the place was extremely cold and rude. Instead of any hint of an apology, I was told to go and find somewhere else to stay. Mr Charles Guesthouse has had a lot of good publicity in the past, but it has lost an important quality and gained arrogance in its rush to bring in tourist dollars. I certainly would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure EVERYTHING in the room works before you agree to take it.
Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jane W
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed 3 days at Mr Charles over New Year. We had one of their best rooms in the new block, and everything was fine - indeed better than I'd expected. There were no frills, but the room was large, neat and clean, good air conditioner/heater. The beds were comfortable, the shower hot enough (apparently hot water only in the evenings). The only small negative was that there is no safe-box in the room, and for the ones by reception you need your own padlock.
The staff were very helpful (special thanks to young JeJo), if sometimes chaotic. They also arrange local treks, tours and transport - the 2 one-day-treks we took were both excellent. They can change US$ too - we ran out of kyat - at only 4% less than the best bank rate, which I thought was fair.
The room was overpriced ($60 for a superior twin), but this is the trend in Burma now, at least over the New Year holidays. But all in all, it's a good place to stay - and certainly looked better than anything else we saw in town.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed in the best room in the new building for 50$. That was the most expensive for me of the accommodations outside Yangon. New sheets and thick towels. There was airco in the room, but did not used it because in Hsipaw in november is not hot. Clean private bathroom with bathtub. I hired a bicycle, but it was heavy to ride on.

Room Tip: There is no elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a pleasant friendly and above all comfortable guesthouse. Everything is present - wi fi, air con, comfy beds, clean rooms - for an enjoyable stay without pretension or illusion. Breakfast is interesting more than good but overall this is an enjoyable option.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

When we arrived at Mr Charle's Guesthouse I did not have high expectations based on the reviews I had read on this. I could not have been more surprised with what we got - the staff could not have been more helpful and accommodated all of our requests quickly and professionally. There is a huge range of accommodation types, so if you are looking for something specific I would suggest booking ahead. We paid $14USD for a basic twin room in November and in the high season that seemed to be a really reasonable price, the room was basic but it was clean and not damp which is more than you can say for a lot of accommodation in Myanmar. The shared bathrooms were clean and probably the best showers we had our whole trip. Breakfast is a bit of a rush job and not very filling, especially if you are then going off trekking, but other than that highly recommended for a stay in Hsipaw.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NatalieD33
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here two nights in Jr. Suite on first floor. Room 25m2, bathroom 6m2. Kingsize bed, silent AC, no safe box; we switched the wining refrigerator off. One news channel on TV.
Because it is located in the side street no traffic sound at all.
The reception lend us a map of the village for visiting the very interesting very early morning candellight market; interesting. Actually half of the marketeers (women) now use LED lamps.
The bedroom was not serviced, but we did not mind for two nights, but the second morning we did not receive the requested wake-up call. The breakfast is rather simple but sufficient, and the beer is good; we borrowed a bottle opener for the sundowner beer with chips. Dinner is somewhere in the main street; not very good restaurants however, but cheap.
Next door is a medical post where I got some needed Chiprofloxacine against a bacterial intestinal infection (very cheap).
We stayed in the new middle building and a new wing with another dozen of small rooms is beeing completed. The balcony with streetview was under repairs.
Our private driver and regional trips were organised with Ananda travel. I have programme.

Room Tip: the more you pay, the larger the room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple