“Best option in town”
Review of Mr Charles Hotel

Mr Charles Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hsipaw B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is definitely the best option in town. Rooms are big and clean, breakfast is good and there is even free wifi. Staff could be a bit more attentive but in general is a good option. They offer expensive car and trekking options, look elsewhere for excursions.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 3, 2012

For budget travelers to more luxurious suites Mr Charles has it all cover i stayed at the budget end for $7 a night no window but the room was really clean, the shared bathroom was new and always clean. Great location just off the main busy road, the staff were excellent and very attentive i even had a young staff member Sinone recall a local song he was singing and take me in town to purchase it. Its a busy place but the staff always make time for you and to accommodate your needs. The breakfast was one of the best in Myanmar with a selection of 3 different (1 western, 2 local) dishes it caters for everyone. The only bad thing i will say is the beer just wasnt cold enough i have spoken to management and hopefully the get a new fridge. All in all a great little guest house i would defiantly recommend it

Room Tip: Get in early and show your face as they dont really take bookings over the phone. Budget travelers o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Mr. Charles Guest House and Hotel is clean, with small rooms and a decent breakfast. The showers do have hot water, which is not true of many hotels in small towns. Prices are cheap. It is nothing to rave about, but is is clean, dry and insect free.

Room Tip: You can get anything from a dump to a reasonable small room with a hard tile floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank David908
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Mr Charles (don't think we ever met him!) runs the most diverse place I have ever found. Backpacker cubicals to ensuite with balcony, take your choice but remeber there is a price scale to match, although the prices are very reasonable. The hotel is clean, very friendly and well located just off the main street. The hotel offers a range of trips, tours and guides. we took a 2 day trek into the hills and stayed in avillage 'house'. I great experience but make sure you get a clear brief about what is o offer - we weren't sold short in any respect but s oiurthought we had porterage and had to make a quick re-pack to prune down to day packs only. Water available en-route, all food and mosquito nets so you only need a spare pair of knickers and a camera really. There is even a pharmacy and sound, practical medical advice. Gets our vote.

Room Tip: You can have whatever you want, just be clear what that is. new block in construction so ask about...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at about 5 pm and wanted to book a trekking tour. Because mr charles is famous for his trekking tours and organising them. right now is festival time so the guide does not want to do a day trip. He only offered a half day trip as we are only two and as the festival is only once a year. They even don't ask us if we would like to do a tour with other people. They also have no map for us as we then decided (as nobody has time for an organised tour) to do a tour by ourselves. Next morning at breakfast we found out that many people do a tour. After a while discussing two other people who also arrived the same day asked us if we do the tour together. Suddenly it worked - surprise!

By the way, the trekking we did was walking no trekking! We walked through some nice rice paddies, came along some villages, did a boat ride for an hour on the dirty river and finally visited another shan village. The price was usd 62 for 4 pax.

We stayed the first night in the "newer" building were you have 2 towels, air condition and where the rooms are okay for 32 usd. The only thing is that beds are in a bed condition - saggy mattresses. The next night we had to change our room because a bus with a tour group arrived. And of course they will get a better room. So we changed to a room into the older building which was really shabby and the price was usd 20. The bathroom is very old, you only have a van, 1 towel and 1 role of toilet paper, but no worries you can buy them at the reception. The mattresses are foamed material.

You do not feel as a well treated guest if you are an individual tourist. it seems that they prefer tour groups because they spend more money. But that feeling do we have around myanmar not only at charles.

Please be advised not to come here if it is festival time: 13-16 year old boys dance to love parade music, are drunk at 6 pm, everything is dirty (waste on every corner), till night it is very loud and guides would not want to do 1-2 days trekking tours with you. The village is at this time in the year not calm and pleasant!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank schristina
Reviewed October 31, 2012

it was a four hour trip to Hsipaw from Mandalay. I did not have any hesitations about staying at Mr Charles GH as many travellers had good comments about the place. We arrived in Hsipaw around late evening and it was really dark so took a shared taxi to the GH. Initially I had booked a double room with a fan in the new building. However, when I got to see the room, it was so hot that I decided to go for the room with A/C. The price difference was $7.

At breakfast there was a good selection. Staff were all very nice and helpful. We went to the Shan village for a wander in the morning and in the afternoon went to see Little Bagan and the monastery. On our return we touched in at Mrs Popcorn for refreshments and had the fresh fruit smoothies and some snacks. Mrs Popcorn was really friendly and the place is very quiet and set in a lovely garden.

The GH booked our return bus tickets to Manadalay. A small pick up truck picked us up from the GH to take us to the bus station at around 5 am. All in all the GH is fairly clean and sitting on the verandah on the first floor of the new building was really relaxing. Wifi is only available in the reception area of the new building. There is no fridge or tv in the room.

We did not wander too far in the evening to look for restaurants as it was dark, so we went to the local chappatti place and had paratha and lentil curry.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Accommodation itself is ok, single rooms are very basic and tiny, but clean. There are two common showers, quite old, but they were building the new ones. What I actually did like in this guesthouse is shaded common area and large balcony on the second floor. Breakfast was decent too. Overall it is a pretty fair deal for those who are on a budget but value cleanliness, taking into account that there is not much choice in Hsipaw.

What I wanted to share is my deep dissatisfaction with their guided hiking trips service. We were the group of four, my friends stayed at Mr Charles and I stayed at another place before the trek. My friends told me that they found another group of four, who are keen on going all together, and this will give us all a discount for the large group. I agreed and was told to come to Mr Charles at 9.15 am. Imagine my disbelief and astonishment when I arrived at 9 am and was told that there are two groups and both has left an hour ago, including my friends. They were nice enough to drive me to the place where I can meet them. Once again, I was very surprised to meet people I've never seen before, and find out a little later that my friends are behind us and started the trek one hr later. Plus the time and their confusion while waiting on me. All this was caused by poor organization of the trek and little care of those who organized it. More than that we were deceived by them in order to get more money from us.

Long story short. I finally met my friends and joined them. The group I started with appeared to be the group of four who agreed to go with us in the very beginning. We ended up trekking in two groups of four, basically meeting each other over and over again on the trail. All of us were surprised why we were separated like this, and we were told that the other group didn't want to go together. Which was a lie, and which I find really an awful way to treat the customers, potentially setting them up against each other. At the end of the trek, of course we were asked to pay a full price, which we did, still unaware of their games. Later we found out that the manager lied to us about the other group, that they split us up for their own purpose, but still the other group paid discounted price (smart people!). And finally we found out that the discounted prices start from the group of four and that all of it is listed in the book that they don't show. When I asked them to show me the book, they said that they've lost it.

During the conversation with the manager, he behaved inadequately, constantly contradicting himself and information provided before the trek. For example, he said that he didn't manage this particular trek because he was too busy, and later mentioned that he set up the rule to have groups no more than four and split up these groups. When my friend said that it's actually not about the money but the principle and lie, he bowed and apologized; when I said that actually he should give us money back (that we paid extra), he literally started to yell at us, saying that if we came here to blame somebody we should blame guides (who are in fact were great and had nothing to do with this situation).

All in all, I just want to warn other travelers about the deceiving management of the trekking services of Mr Charles guesthouse. Frankly speaking, you can hike by yourself, the other guesthouse provides maps if you stay with them. Overall it seems that Mr Charles is the most popular guesthouse in Hsipaw, therefore they feel pretty relaxed about the service they provide and show little care about their customers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo