“No choice in Bago”

Hanthawaddy
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Bago
Cuisines: Burmese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great food/service.Upstair room has fantastic view of the Shwemawdaw Paya. Bago,former capital of the Mon Empire,is a easy day trip from Yangon
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is truly a bus and tour group restaurant set up strictly for tourists - but there aren't a lot of other options in Bago (or at least that we saw) and your driver or tour will probably bring you here. Having said that, the service was quick, and the food was pretty good. There wasn't too many options, mostly local curries and stir fries, but plenty to suit most tastes. Our curries were good and drinks were cold and refreshing. And the price wasn't bad either for a tourist trap.
The decor was nice but dark inside. And I have to mention the spotlessly clean toilets with lovely hand gel. But the worst thing was the sellers outside that accosted you as soon as you left shoving postcards, hats and fans in your face until you escaped into your car.
Overall, a nice find in Bago.

1  Thank KGB_4

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just one word: disgusting and expensive. A tour-guides restaurant basically. They, of course, cheat on the exchange rate of dollar and the shrimps with spinach I have ordered where just smelling of wasted food.... My god I just want to forget that place.

1  Thank Toramiki
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stopped in here on our way back from Golden Rock for lunch. This place is obviously on the tour bus circuit and we managed to get our orders in and get served between groups, aided by the staff.
Like alot of menus here there is alot of Chinese and Thai food on offer but we opted for Myanmar pork and fish curries. These were delicious, a standout of our visit here. With rice and tea these were 9200K. Not cheap by Myanmar standards but it is geared towards tourists.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Let me make this clear before you think that I am a particularly finnicky eater: I eat street food and the food prepared for me during homestays. I like to eat the way locals do (I currently live in upcountry Thailand). So after a particularly hot and miserable trip from Yangon, I thought I'd indulge in something a "step up." Instead I was rewarded with the worst tea leaf salad I'd consumed my entire trip but the real clincher (and the reason propelling me to write this review in the first place) is as follows:

I was starving and so I consumed absent-mindedly many spoonfuls of full of rice before noticing something wrong: it was completely riddled with dead ants. I'm talking hundreds. I had noticed the rice was dry but didn't pay attention to anything else when I slopped my side dish on top of half of the plate. (The rice, by the way, tasted dry and freshly microwavved which leads me to believe that is how all the ants died). The staff did not apologize, did not offer me new food (nor would I have taken it), and I left after paying for the meal but not the rice. In retrospect, perhaps I should've demanded a free meal. If they were even the slightest bit nice about it, I would have no regrets about paying. Instead, the were unfriendly. In sum, the experience awful, food terrible (regardless of bug infestation). It looks like a place that takes a lot of tour groups. I wish I could give negative five stars. You will get more sanitized food eating on a the street (which I did later). YUCK.

1  Thank Susan Q
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Very nice restaurant very conveniently located in Bago. The restaurant is nicely done up in traditional Mon style with nice teak wood walls and ceiling but not too much. Tables not too close together and chairs were not too hard. Service was fine though a little bit serious. We were first in the restaurant for lunch which was good as not very long after we arrived half a dozen groups arrived and the restaurant became extremely busy. We got most of our order fairly quickly but the final dish must have got caught up in the rush as despite reminders we had to wait around 45 more minutes for it, not too good.
The four of us each had a different curry as our main course and three of the curries were excellent, especially the pork, delicious. We had many curries while in Myanmar and these were the best we had. The fourth, fish, curry though was not so tasty but that was the one which was delayed so maybe the kitchen rushed that dish.
Prices were somewhat high for Myanmar though not OTT, but the food was mainly great so that was OK.
Toilets were quite nice, for Myanmar, but once the groups arrived, nearly all at once, the queues stretched well into the restaurant, so beware.