“My favorite place in Mandalay”
Review of U Bein Bridge

$40.00*
Private Tour: 3-Hour Sunset at U Bein Bridge
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Amarapura
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I spend here a whole day , didn't want to leave.
The views around, the people that are passing buy , the fisherman's in the morning and the amazing sunsets , make this place so worth visit.

1  Thank Gil K

Reviewed June 7, 2012

You have to visit this place at sunrise or sunset!
We dropped in here on our way to the airport.

it's a real parade of local culture. A lot of picturesque and unique people are passing by. Dive into local life.

Very photogenic place.

3  Thank photolancer
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This was not only a cool bridge, but a true local bypass. Along with a handful of foreigners that I did see making their way across the wooden footpath, there were many Myanmar people making their way from one side of the bridge to the other. The views while "on deck" are excellent all the way almost to the full 360. There were also some small full scale local huts on one of the short isthmuses of land that led out to the main water channel which really added to the full raw reality of the environment.
* I had had a full day's worth of touring to the other main attractions in the area and was rather hot by now and thus, didn't stay for the sunset although viewing shots online, it certainly appears as if it would have made for a good photo shoot.
I had made it that this site was going to have to be one to be seen on this particular trip to Myanmar and in conclusion, and glad I visited it.
I recommend others to do the same if your in the area as well.
* As an added bonus to getting good pictures, you can get a boat that will take you across the water right before sunset so you can get excellent views from under and through the teak bridge rather than just from atop and walking over it. (I didn't do this option and take a boat though and can't remember how much they quoted when they first told me about the boat option).

1  Thank Jeff206
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This is apparently the most photographed place in Myanmar & I can see why. It's a photographers paradise with local people going about their daily business on or around this amazing teak structure. We saw many Monks strolling on the bridge, boaters taking tourists for a sunset cruise on the water below, ladies hearding ducks, young men fishing Talapia and lots of other interesting activites. The sunset at U Bein was stunning. We enjoyed it & would highly recommend it.

2  Thank katblue
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I appreciate that I am likely to be in a minority here, and certainly both my wife and friends we travelled with would probably rate this site as 'very good', but I was not very impressed with this bridge. Maybe it had been over-hyped so my views are a reaction to that but even so...
As a bridge it is not very special, I have seen plenty of other bridges of this, or similar, construction in a number of other countries around Asia, many far more beautiful than this one. Yes, it seems somewhat taller than usual, no doubt because of the floods which inundate the area every now and then. The main thing which makes the bridge special is actually just its length. Now that is different and certainly I have never seen a bridge of this type which is anywhere near as long so it is worth seeing for that at least.
Many people have commented on its peacefulness and maybe that is correct at some times in the day. However when we were there a bit after 0900 hours, a saleslady (mainly necklaces and similar) attached herself to each of us and accompanied us nearly throughout all the time we were at or on the bridge. We didn't mind too much as although it was a long bridge, it was low level selling and we mainly chatted to them about their lives, they were mainly teenage students who spoke reasonable English, so not too bad but so much for 'peace and quiet'. There were certainly plenty of other sales ladies waiting for the next tourists so not much chance to 'get away'.
Even at that time it was already quite hot and no shade on the bridge other than a few 'huts' where more handicraft sellers were waiting though there were also benches where one could sit down. When we were there the water was very low so that possibly made it more unattractive than at some other times.
So, for me, an OK site but definitely not a 'must see'.

2  Thank Arthurrvr