“Good and Sad”

$276.00*
and up
Private Tour:Explore the Wonders of Mandalay Including Lunch on Boat
Reviewed December 4, 2013

With our guide we stopped at the same time as all...tourists... and like someone mentioned it was a zoo.
Sure it is great to see the young monks making their way, bowls in hand for lunch. Everyone want to bring some photos back with,...But it is to much; I felt sad for them, being like a circus attraction. Some even didn't have the decencies to be off the dining area with their big lens camera. Shame on them! How would they like to turn around the situation? Respect is less and less part of man behave

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"donation"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed December 4, 2013

It is sometime difficult to melt in the to many tourists, some with huge cameras and no shyness taking photos of those young monks having there daily meal. The questions are: Are they really getting use to this? Are we respecting their life choice? Isn't up to us to be discrete and respectful?

2  Thank Road20years
Reviewed November 19, 2013

What a depressing place. My cab driver brought us here so we could watch the monks eat lunch. I would love to learn more about "daily life" at a monastery is like, but this place felt more like a zoo than a monastery. Everywhere, signs encouraged visitors to take photos, and indeed, most tourists with very liberal with the number of photographs they took, in particular of the monks. Despite the signs that encouraged photography, I noticed many of the monks were clearly turning their bodies the other way to avoid the camera. They could not say to us that they did not want their photograph taken, but their body language was clear. In that moment, I felt ashamed for having stepped into this wretched place and felt uncomfortable that we were intruding upon the monks. We took pictures of the other tourists taking pictures of the monks, then left before lunch was served.

We had not wanted to come here in the first place anyways. My friends and I booked a cab driver for the day and for some reason, he brought us here though we had asked him not to. (We had a read a depressing description of the place in a guidebook.)

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I felt a bit bad being there, but it's something you 'have' to do, right? Many of the monks don't go to lunch at the main time because they don't want all the tourists to watch them in a line. However, it has helped them get a ton of donations.

I did a bit of extra wondering and and felt like I shouldn't be there, since I saw the shower area! Didn't see anything because of the wall, but still!

1  Thank Alexandra M
See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Lunch time for the monks is at 1015am and it is quite a spectacle. 1000+ monks line up for their 2nd meal of the day and it is just incredible to witness.

Massive and I mean MASSIVE pots of rice are prepared with huge poles to stir. The longest, straightest lines of monks with beautiful coloured scarves. It was a treat to see the acolytes (novice monks) as well dressed in white.

This was such a truly special sight, I strongly recommend it to all whom are interested in an insight into "monk life".

Free entry.

**rant** (nothing to do with the monastery)
This spectacle is so special it's a real shame there are so many rude disrespectful tourists out there. Respectful clothing should be worn for obvious reasons. Although photography both stills and videos are permitted, standing on the road where they line up and or crossing their lunch lines is seriously not allowed. One poor local had to physically remove an ignorant tourist from the road and he then turned around and had a go at the local! It was so embarrassing as a tourist.