“Did not honour booking”

Hotel Boliari
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Veliko Tarnovo
“Did not honour booking”
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room at this hotel, for 5 members of my family. I got confirmation of the booking at midday of my arrival day. I informed the hotel that I wouldn't arrive until after 7pm. When I arrived at the hotel following a 4 hour drive I was greeted by a very grumpy and rude lady who told me that they were full. When I said that I had a reservation, she refused to accept this, and asked me to produce the paperwork. I proceeded to retrieve the e-mail, and she told me she had given my rooms away because it was now 8pm. She was extremely unsympathetic and did nothing to help us out.
I did not book this stay through trip advisor, but with the hotel directly. I would not thrust these people.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We've been here two times. It is a very nice hotel located close to the center and also near Tsarevets fortress - 10 minutes slow walk. The rooms are clean and good sized. Room number 41 is the best of all! It has a big terrace with a magnificent view. The breakfast is very poor, but, we it is not a problem as in Veilko the cuisine is very good in each restaurant.

Room Tip: Room 41 is the best. It has the biggest terrace! But it is a room for 2 persons.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elena S
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We are Second time here. It is stilla great place and it is located not far from castle Tzarevets. Good breakfast, big rooms, free WiFi. Do you need anything more? August rate is 80 lev (40 Euro) for one night.

• Stayed August 2012
Salerno, Italy
Reviewed August 14, 2011

When we walked in the hotel we were greeted with a smile by a funny receptionist whose English was close to zero (not a problem, I don't see why they should all speak English). She knew how to say "no credit cards" but that's quite recurrent everywhere in Bulgaria.
the room was ok.
bed a bit soft.
shower OK but a leak would make the floor a mess.
The main door closes at 23.
The breakfast consists of superprocessed jam, honey, bread, tomato and boiled eggs.(avoid)

the breakfast experience was a nightmare. never experienced anything like that. we were told that we could have breakfast anywhere so I went to the reception to let them know we where on the balcony.
A sleepy, scruffy male receptionist came by after a while saying (I quote) "what do you want? do you need anything from here?" clearly his English was good enough to be rude. I said that we were sitting on the terrace and he went "do you want tea or coffee?" my girlfriend didn't catch it so she asked for a cappuccino. he dropped whatever was doing and looking at her quite nastily remarked "TEA OR COFFEE?" I was shocked. he then served two barely drinkable coffees with dirty cutlery.

He ruined our morning. too bad because the hotel is in an ideal location and the rest of the staff tries to help.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gistro73

Travelers are raving about these Veliko Tarnovo hotels

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Hotel is out of the centre of town towards the old Fortress on the right, but signposted. Lovely room with large balcony. We travel with our cat and this was no problem for the staff who recommended the large balcony with lovely views. So the staff are friendly, smiley and nothing is too much trouble. One guest had car problems and needed a push and the staff came out to help - brilliant!
Great breakfast just right for us and typically Bulgarian.
We highly rate this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Wherever
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Rooms

I had single use of a double room for €28 per night, including breakfast which represented first class value for money.

The room was not large but clear and adequately furnished with a large balcony with view of the Art Gallery.

It had an en suite, mini-bar and TV.

Location

The hotel is well located. Less than 50 metres from the Archaeological Museum and the Museum of Bulgarian Freedom – plus others.

It is an easy stroll from the Tsarevets Fortress and the Church of the 40 Martyrs.

There are several restaurants close by and the old city centre area is around 10 to 15 minutes away on relatively flat terrain.

Staff

Unlike previous reviewers, I found all staff friendly but with little English. The breakfast is still exactly as described but this is adequate. An example of the staff’s attitude was that when they were told not to bother with the jam and honey as I am diabetic and cannot eat it they offered to go out and buy me a special breakfast - hot banitsa.

Minor Irritants

The tag to operate the lights is on the same ring as the door key. This means that, unless you separate the two as I did, you cannot both have the lights on in your room and have the key in the lock (important for both security and fire escaping).

There is no shower curtain so that after a shower the bathroom – including the toilet area floods.

The internet did not work in my room at first – meaning a nightly trek to the dining room to get a signal. However, it was sorted before I left.

When items were removed – empty water bottle ex mini-bar and virtually new soap – they were not replaced.

Payment

As a previous reviewer warned, it is not always possible to pay by credit card despite the booking form stating they take Visa and Amex – only one member of staff knowing how to use the machine. So, be warned and ensure that you have the necessary cash. My booking was designated in € and I was able to pay in that currency – though needing to have more or less the exact money.

Other Warnings

Recent legislative changes mean that Bulgaria has returned to the requirements of a communist police state in that people staying with friends in private houses have to be registered and your passport is required for hotel check-in.

There seems to be problems with water in parts of Veliko Tarnovo. We were unable to get a coffee in one restaurant in town before leaving because of this. It might pay to check this out – although I had not problems in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
United States
Reviewed August 25, 2009

The service at this hotel is atrocious. The extra bed is actually a single pull-out arm chair and they didn't provide any sheet or blanket on the first day. The air conditioner drips water with a loud noise all night long, flooding the floor. The door to the balcony wouldn't open. The women staff is nice enough, but the guy was extremely rude and belligerent. The booking site says that they accept credit card, but this guy would not accept anything but cash. When I questioned this the guy became belligerent and extremely rude. He said he'd do us a favor and let us pay in dollar and charge an exorbitant fee for it. I guess he doesn't like his low-paying job and has an macho image problem. They gave themselves a 3 star rating, but we've had better courtesy from a backpacker hostel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family