First of all I must stress that this hotel is never a four star hotel, a mediocre three star would be generous.
We stayed here from the 1st - 5th of May, one of the busiest holiday weekends in Bulgaria, so the first surprise was to find that the outdoor pool and Jacuzzi were closed for repairs. In fact they are completely re-tiling the pool and it is not expected to be ready for 6 weeks according to the reception. We were looking forward to relaxing in the Jacuzzi after sight seeing.
Next choice was the indoor swimming pool, no it is not a swimming pool, it is in fact a large jacuzzi, but, this one was not heated. When I asked why the indoor Jacuzzi was not working, first I was told that it was working, when I pointed out that it should be heated (30 - 40 degrees C, not the 20 degrees that it was), I was informed that they were in a transition period between closing the indoor pool and opening the outdoor pool. Clearly a very poor excuse if not a complete lie. Further to this the layout of the spa was very unusual. I would call it open plan! The massage table was in a corner, separated from the pool and relaxing area only by a wall on one side, so when I had a massage, there was the noise of children playing in the pool, hardly the most relaxing atmosphere. The massage itself was very well done. Also the aromatherapy bath was in the main spa room with no privacy at all.
The room, we were on the 5th floor and the room was well passed it's best, wall paper was coming off the wall, the air conditioning only worked at high speed and the thermostat didn't work and the carpets needed a good clean.
The restaurant. The Breakfast buffet was not too bad by Bulgarian standards except for the eggs. Fried eggs and scrambled eggs were served up on normal plates on the buffet table with no heating applied. So unless you were there soon after they came from the kitchen, they would be cold. It is amazing that this could be rectified by a couple of small food heaters.
We ate dinner in the restaurant once. I ordered pork loin with Emmentaler cheese. When it was served, there was no cheese. The waitress went to see the Chef and returned with a plate of sliced Gouda and some Parmesan cheese. When I pointed this out she again went to see the chef and returned with a plate of sliced Emmental. Not exactly what I expected.
All together the experience pointed to bad management and bad staff training. There are much better choices in Veliko Tarnovo, we had tried to stay at the Tanra, but there were no rooms for the dates we wanted, we tried the restaurant in the Meridian Bolyarski, and got a very good impression of the hotel, so next time we will research more carefully.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Premier Hotel is located in downtown Veliko Tarnovo, at a quiet and relaxing location only minutes away from the historical sights, the main shopping area and the administrative center of the town. The hotel provides convenient and comfortable accommodation for business people, families, and guests looking for rest and relaxation. It is also suitable for visitors who want to become familiar with the spirit and dignity of the old Bulgarian capital, which is currently the European capital of cultural tourism.The hotel offers 34 double rooms and 9 suites providing everything for a pleasant stay.The restaurant seats 60 people and offers a rich variety of Bulgarian and international dishes together with a wide range of wines. The lobby bar is open 24 hours a day. Our spa center is available for rest and relaxation, offering various massages, a sauna, a steam bath and an aromatherapy bath. The sky bar and its open-air swimming pool provide a unique panorama of the Old Town and the medieval stronghold of Tsarevets.The modern beauty therapies offered by our cosmetic center will contribute to your self-confidence and the perfect appearance.The Premier Hotel offers secure indoor parking and a garaged lot.The individual approach to every guest, high-quality service and style are the main objectives of our team.Have a nice stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Veliko Tarnovo Hotel Premier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Veliko Turnovo
- Veliko Turnovo Best Western