“Good hotel, cold food”

Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Veliko Tarnovo
Bucharest, Romania
“Good hotel, cold food”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is very good on average. The rooms are not very large, but quite comfortable and warm (even if the temperature outside it was much below 0º).
In particular, we had a room with balcony and an amazing view to the river Yantra, the bridge, the art museum, the monument of the Assenevtsi king and the hanging houses. Absolutely spectacular! but I don´t know if in other wing of the hotel the panorama is the same.
Well, as a small detail a plug in the bathroom would have been useful (although the bathroom is equipped with hairdryer). The hotel also has a playground for children outside, which is a must for people travelling with kids. The hotel has a hairdresser and a traditional Bulgarian shop (both rather expensive).
However, I never saw the pool and the gym they mention.
The staff in reception and restaurant are kind and willing to help (specially the guys in the restaurant) but nevertheless we lacked information in many ways (it was a new year’s package and we needed to be informed).
The worst thing by far is the cold food. We spent 4 nights there with breakfast and dinner included and our food was warm only on New Year’s Eve. The rest of the time it was almost cold, even the eggs or sausages at breakfast, which is something I´ve never seen before and I don´t understand the reason (I´ve worked in hotel industry). It´s a real pity because the variety and the quality of food was ok. Unfortunately, especially during the winter, people love to eat warm food so I suggest choosing only accommodation without half board until they solve this issue.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Yantra river offer a magnificent view and one of the two restaurants of the ho...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I wouldn't say don't go here but my experience wasn't amazing.
We got in quite late due to some road closures and were checked in quite quickly which was nice. I went up what felt like an ancient elevator to my room which was so in need of an update! In fairness, the bed was comfy and the bathroom had everything I needed, it was just so drab and depressing. As there was no kettle in the room, I went back to reception to see if I could get a hot drink before bed after having travelled for so long. The answer was a stern 'No', there was no hot drinks to be had. I have to say, this was slightly disheartening, in a hotel of it's size, I was amazed that there was no kettle/urn or any other method that could have been used to make one measly cup of anything!

In the morning I went down to the 'breakfast room' I'm not sure if there were no other guests or if I was the last/first down for breakfast but I was the only person sat in that big bleak hall, with a very poor breakfast. There were hot plates with bits in, but they were not hot, there was coffee in an urn, but it was like tar, the toaster didn't work and the rest wasn't worth much either.

I wouldn't say don't stay here, as in the other comments there does seem to be updated rooms, and perhaps there was a tour group who had been doen for breakfast before me which could explain buffet table, but if you do stay here, ask for a renovated room. Veliko tarnovo itself, is a beautiful town and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank escape_the_norm
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The hotel is situated in the center of the town at a 20 minute walk from the citadel. In the hotel, there are two main kinds of room (3 star rooms and 4 star room). I stayed in a 4 star room. It was not very big, but clean. The only problems with the room were that the water was flowing on the floor even the shower door was close. From what i heard from the people staying in the 3 star room, this kind of rooms is not very good. The personnel there was kind.
The food is pretty good and diversified.
I had booked the room in the last minute on a specialized web site and I may say the price was very good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Eugenem21
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I am just back from a package trip to Bulgaria. We spent one night in Interhotel Veliko Turnovo. I must say I was a bit afraid of this place after having read the reviews. However, my experience was totally different. The receptionists were kind and it was easy to communicate with them. The room was definitely renovated, with a nice bathroom, all very clean. There were no problems whatsoever with hot water, and the telephone was in the room. No one from our group (24 people) complained about their rooms, and who knows Polish people, knows how eager they are to complain if anything is wrong! The only 2 problems I faced were: the airconditioning that was so weak that it essentially gave nothing (it does not work at all when the window is open, but also after closing the window and allowing plenty of time, when the machine was working - it could be heard - the temperature remained too high) ->luckily enough it was September, so for the night's sleep it was OK just to switch off the machine and open the window. The same were the impressions of other people I talked to about it. Second, the WiFi did not work. It must have been a temporary problem, because the receptionists were pretty surprised. Or perhaps it did not work in our part of the building (it is quite huge)? I must admit I did not insist too much - I was tired after the sightseeing during the day.
Regarding breakfast: if I do not mix up the hotels - the food that was supposed to be hot, was completely cold (at 7:02 while the breakfast starts at 7), but there was a good selection of other food too and I do not recall any other particular problems indeed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank agulha68
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Hardly could be classified as a 2 stars hotel. Receptionists refuse to speak in english, even if we have booked renovated rooms, they offered unrenovated, saying "if you don't like it, you can leave". Rooms' door hardly can be locked, but easly can be broken.
Poor breakfast, you might find almost nothing if you are not there when they bring (from time to time) a plate of something.

Awful, awful, awful!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Veliko Tarnovo hotels

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Disappointments started more with our arrival on Friday evening (May 13). As we drove after work to Veliko Tarnovo arrived late - around 22 pm at the entrance of the parking unfriendly doorman welcomed us with comments - "no vacancy in the parking lot, park on the paid area in front of the hotel and tomorrow morning at 8 am you have to move your car otherwise you'll have to pay taxes (one clarification here - free parking is part of the staying that you pay) . Obediently parked outside the parking lot. We received card and key. And from there began the problems - we got to the room, put a card into the card reader, but alas - Power in the room did not go. After some conversation with a reception and a visit by a technician (at 22:40 at night) finally we got to see the room where we were seated 1 hour after our arrival. There was no phone in the room. Air conditioning as we were informed by the technician who came to repair the electrical installation was not connected to the mains and never worked. Everywhere in the room and the bathroom cables were hanging unsecured - whatever cables were they should at least be protected, but alas they were not. In the cupboard set for refrigerator, refrigerator itself was missing and the products were placed in the bottom drawer of the 3 fingers from the ground.

The next morning (Saturday, May 14) at 09:00 we were already in the Hall of the restaurant ready for breakfast. Unfortunately these was nothing for breakfast. Cutlery were huge deficit - no plates, forks, spoons, knives, cups ... The only representative from the beverages was soft water. From hot buffet no trace - only the dishes stood alone on . We said that it will not let that spoil our mood. Unfortunately, our second breakfast was a complete failure. On Sunday (May 15) it was even much worse - no fruit, milk, bread, juices, and nothing nor hot buffet or from the cold. There was water and we had a second consecutive morning to drink a cup of cold water. Staff in the restaurant concerned more than outrageous. The question - will there be juice was answered- probably not, the question would you bring napkins, the answer was - no, ran out.

In parallel, on Friday evening we arived there was no hot water. We decided to take one cold shower after the trip and decided that most likely this is an exception. The next day we didn't check until the evening and what a surprise - again no hot water. In reference to the reception I received the following answer: Well it was a failure I think, but I do not know what happened, I can not help you. On that my response was that I do not accept this comment and must do something immediately. And miraculously - after 30 minutes had hot water.
Before we left the hotel I asked to speak to a manager who conveniently was not there for him - does not appear 1 hour. Recorded in the complaint book a statement, but maybe there will only remain. From the receptionist lady as an answer to my complaints I received the following answer to the lack of hot water - there was a failure, but informed us too late. Why for such problems guests should notify the hotel - don't they worry about a surprise inspection by relevant authorities and should not the hotel to have someone to monitor whether everything is OK - is there hot water, is there current conditions; breakfast?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Nessebar, Bulgaria
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Me and my girlfriend chosed this hotel for a weekend holiday.
The hotel is rated as 4 Stars - but according is not more than 2 Stars!
The hotel was old and dark - nobody from the staff even smiled to us for welcome! They didn't look to us while explaining about the room and hotel services!
We were accomadated in room 238 - the room is small and not very clean. It was dusty everywhere. The room is next to the garden restaurant and the smell of BBQ in the room was very strong.
The biggest surpise was that there wasn't hot water!!! We arrived in the evening direct from work and were very tired and needed a shower, but bad luck..the water was very cold !
The staff at the reception explained that they had a problem with the water earlier this day, but it should be OK now (obviously it wasn't OK) but nobody took care about this..
The breakfast was served in a restaurant under the ground without windows - the food was bad looking sausages and cheese (not fresh at all). And it was also dusty and cold!
In morning it wasn't hot (or even warm) water again! We wanted to speak with the manager - but the receptionist told us that he is not there and we should wait, even didn't try to help us - we were there just for 2 nights and we spent one in waiting somebody to tell us what is going there!
Hour and a half later the manager was still busy and they offered us the next soultions:
1st: to stay and wait for hot water, because they are working on the problem and expect to have water in next few hours
2nd to visit another hotel in "Arbanasi"-which is few km away - but we wanted to stay in Veliko Tarnovo, that's why choosed a hotel in the city, next to the center!
3rd: to send us back the money for the second night if we leave the hotel the same day (because the first night was with so "quality" service)

We choosed to go in another hotel - "Rachev Bolyarski" and try to enjoy the second day of hour little holiday - Bolyarski was clean the staff were friendly and it was real pleasure! I'll recommend it to everybody!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple