“Excellent food. Rustic location.”
Review of Hotel-Mehana Gurko

Hotel-Mehana Gurko
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

very good traditional food. Average Prices. A great setting. It was a very pleasant evening spent at this restaurant. Very friendly personnel. It is worth go to eat here.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just finishing up dinner at Hotel-Mehano Gurko restaurant.

Well it's after 7 here in the evening so that must mean dinner time. Im seated in front of my hotel, the Hotel Burko overlooking the river and city. VT is a hill town with a huge castle. Italian hills have nothing on VT! Im on a cobblestone street where there is restricted automobile access. My Ipod is connected to my external  speaker and I'm listening to Lizzies playlist.

After a few JD and cokes it was time for some roasted red peppers stuffed with sirene cheese then lightly battered and pan fried. Of course after that  a little appetizer platter. More white cheese, dark olives, and a local specialty sausage which I can't spell. I asked for a small platter and have enough to feed all of Elmo. Along with that comes the local grilled flat bread which they call a tortilla. A little olive oil and garlic and it's to die for. Accompanied with a local red from the Mavrud grape I'm unsure if a main course will follow. Mavrud is a very old Bulgarian grape which is again becoming popular. I'm here to tell you it's excellent. Bulgaria has been producing wines for hundreds of years. Communism kinda put a cramp in their world notoriety.

Bulgarians know how to eat and drink. They are very conscious of their food sources so "farm to fork" isn't anything new here. Every where I go you see huge fields with sunflowers, corn and wheat. In the villages small gardens abound. With about 25% unemployment self production is a must. Every meal begins with salad. Grilled meats and lots of them are a staple.

Finishing up with a pork shish and a cup of espresso. Dinner with three glasses of wine. Brought my own Jack Daniels. All for $24.00 US. Now time for an espresso and smoke a Padron. Bulgaria is my kind of country!

1  Thank TravelingFarmer V
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Excellent salads in this traditional bulgarian tavern --- staf very friendly -- why is not always the case n VT

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Gurko Tavern has excellent traditional dishes in a rustic space. The tavern is in the center of Veliko Tarnovo, on Gurko Street and you can see Asen Monument from the table.
We ordered traditional food like Hotch Potch, Kavarma or Bulgarian Salad. The food was very good. I ordered Lemonade and I was disappointed when I got a yellow juice.
If you are on Gurko Street see also the traditional houses, the sight and this nice and old part of the city.

1  Thank Paula L
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We used the Hotel Mehana Gurko on a number of occasions on our last visit to Veliko Tarnovo. The food is excellent, the service is warm and friendly, the views are spectacular. I would certainly recommend trying it. Talking to some guests who were staying there, they said the accomodation was very good also