“A Top Quality Hostel”
Review of Hostel Mostel

Hostel Mostel
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The staff are awesome. Really friendly and helpful. They are a credit to Veliko Tarnovo.

The hostel itself is in a renovated traditional Bulgarian building. The bathroom facilities are clean and modern.

The chill-out area in the main lounge is spacious, but cosy and comfortable with big cushions on the floor.

Basic, but tasty dinner is included, as well as breakfast. You even get a beer with dinner.

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I've stayed in many hostels during my travel and this one definitly has something special! I've read in another review that this hostel has a soul, and I totally agree with this statement!

It has everything you expect from a good hostel (clean, well located, good price, kitchen, large room, common areas, etc.), but there also this feeling of being at the right place. I believe that what makes it so great is the staff! Tod and Alex are amazing people! We had the best welcome and felt right at home!

I would definitly return and stay there again. In fact, I loved my trip in Bulgaria, but If I ever return (and I do hope so) it would be because this hostel and these good-hearted people!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a very comfortable, quiet and clean hostel that offers more than good value for money. Staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is open and social, there even is a communal (very simpe) dinner every evening. You are very likely to feel at ease in this place. There's a great outside garden terrace, where at night you can sit aroud a fire and get to know the other guests. It's a great place to meet people, without being forced to party day and night. Rooms are nice and the beds are ok, too. The downside is its location. Although it's within walking distance of Veliko's centre, it is quite a stroll, that leads over a badly maintained pathway that is poorly lit at night, so watch your step.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Br0cc0li
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Very cozy and clean hostel. Every staff there is friendly and helpful ( Also fluent/Native English Speaker !!!)

I personally think its location is not the best, You still can walk up to the center easily but there are more accommodations much closer to the city center. Having said that, Hostel Mostel is close to Tsarevets Fortress. So it is up to you if you like the location or not.

As I arrived train station (VT), I asked pick up service. As you have to call up on your arrival ( Train station or Bus station), you have to wait for a while, but someone indeed shows up ;-)
I don't think there is a public phone at train station, I had to ask someone to call on behalf of me. Wherever you arrive, I recommend you to call the pick up service, otherwise, take a taxi. It is not very close from station to this hostel.

Dinner ( Pasta) is included in the room rate, if you are on tight budget, it must be perfect. Dinner is served after 1900 till 2100 or so. You can use kitchen to cook for yourself. Kitchen is also clean and big enough. Breakfast is also included. To my surprise, it is not cereal ! The breakfast reminds me of typical Turkish one: Tomato, Cucumber and Sausage !

Public space is huge. I stayed in a private room with attached bathroom. It is also spacious. Bathroom is tiny but it is attached bathroom, I won't complain, besides it was really hot water shower. Temperature went to a bit cold during night in the room whereas the common space was kept very warm. Is it normal not to have heater or something in each room ?

One day tour can be arranged here but min pax is 2 or something. Unfortunately there was no one else to go to Arbanasi on the day, I took a cab, but it cost 5 lev for one way.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Alex, Randy and Todd did everything possible and more to make my stay there a wonderful one, they gave so much information and advice to help me on my way and went above and beyond while I was there! The hostel is in a great building, lots of space, it was clean and comfortable and great value. I extended my stay because it was such a great place. It is located so close to town and is a five minute (if that) walk to the fortress.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is easily one of the best hostels I have stayed in across Europe. The hostel building itself is a beautifully converted stone building which is just a five minute walk away from the town centre. We stayed in a private room which was HUGE - it could have comfortably slept four! The room, as well as the general facilities, are clean and well maintained.

They have a very nice common area with cushions strewn across the floor, books, art work, and computer consoles. It's a great place to unwind after a day of hiking or sightseeing. They also offer free breakfast AND dinner! The dinner is pretty basic but quite tasty and filling, and you get a free beer too. They have a kitchen too, though we didint use it. Talk about value for money!

The staff themselves are super friendly, helping with the luggage, giving you tips on where to go and what to do, calling taxis for you if you need, and always with a ready smile. They were great.

The private room, which has stone Walls, got very chilly - chilly enough that it was difficult to sleep the first night. Unfortunately, they didn't have heating. So keep this in mind if you're going in winter. However, they did give us extra blankets for our second night when we told them about it, and we were quite comfortable then. And I understand that the dorms don't have this problem anyway.

Also, the wifi doesn't work in the private room - so we would come to the common area to use it. Which isnt a bad thing at all because that's how one gets to meet other travellers too, instead of being cooped up in the room. Again, the wifi connection in the dorms is not a problem at all.

I'd unhesitatingly recommend Hostel Mostel in Veliko Tarnovo!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights with kids (ages 7 and 9). The kids loved this place. Extremely helpful and friendly staff who spoke fluent English. Very clean, optional fun day trips. Highly recommend the cliff jumping excursion on a hot summer day. You don't have to cliff jump, it's still very fun and safe places for children. We stayed in a mix of types of accommodation on our 1 month trip through 4 countries and this was by far the most fun, best place we stayed. Very close to the fortress. Catch the light show if you can figure out when it's going to happen (listen for bells). The kids loved the dovecote, the common room and the garden spaces. Food basic but atmosphere convivial. Wifi was good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family