“Beach bar missing”

Sol Nessebar Mare
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Nessebar
“Beach bar missing”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

.....the resort have no beach bar....if you want to drink something near the beach you have to go back more than 200 m to the pool bar...local drinks are very low quality, the food is ok. Parking 5 €/day (worth it if you want sleep well). The water in the pool is clean but it is very cold.....

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank langandras

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay at Sol Nessebar Mare and we are happy to be back home. I don't usually write reviews to express my disappointment (as you can see if you check the other reviews I've written, they are all excellent) but this time I just can't help it.
To begin with, we booked for Sol Nessebar Bay because it has better reviews on Trip Advisor. However, when we arrived at the hotel we were told we would be sent to Mare because Bay was full even though he had paid an extra sum for that hotel. The staff was particularly rude and quite arrogant claiming it is no difference between the two hotels even though the prices and the reviews prove the contrary. We had no choice but to go to Mare where we received a room on the side of the hotel overlooking the pool at Sol Nessebar Palace. Again we had paid an extra price for sea view and what we got was an obvious side sea view. Complaining at the reception, their response was simply "but for us it is sea view". They weren't any friendlier the next day either when we told them the room fridge wasn't working at all. They promised it would be checked upon but nothing happened. A few hours later we went back to the reception asking why it was talking so long to do something about the fridge and they told us they didn't even know we had a problem with it. Finally they sent someone to change the fridge. Nevertheless the new one, although functional, was hardly efficient. The reception staff was quite unfriendly and unhelpful as they failed to answer our question about tourist attractions in Nessebar and sightseeing.
We paid the price for three adults but the extra bed in the room was only suitable for little children. It was very small and quite uncomfortable. None of us could actually sleep there so we all three crowded in the double bed together.
The area around the pool is always wet and even adults have to be pretty attentive when walking around but for kids it can be very dangerous. If you wanted sunbeds on the beach you had to pay for them and for the umbrellas as well. It wasn't much (5 leva/sunbed and 5 leva/umbrella) but we felt it wasn't fair because we had already paid a lot for this hotel. Also, if you travel by car you have to pay 10/day for the parking lot, something that has never happened to us in Greece or Turkey.
The food was quite repetitive and not very tasty so at times it was really hard to get something to eat. Also, you would expect an a la carte restaurant in a four star hotel at this price, but there is only the main restaurant which looks rather like a canteen. The drinks were also a big disappointment, the only thing we could drink was sparkling water and coke. All the other drinks either alcoholic and non-alcoholic were very bad. However there was the possibility to have so good cocktails and international spirits but you had to pay for them which again didn't seem fair. I have to mention though that one bartender, Dido, was very nice, and could bring a smile on our face even while he was serving us those horrible drinks.
All in all, I would not recommend this hotel as I think it is money wasted.

2 Thank Dana_Tapoi
Paris, France
Reviewed August 23, 2013

For this price we paid to holiday at this hotel for its rating of 4 star I would definately not go back. Many problems, our room was dirty with 4 of us 2 single beds and 2 very tiny sofa beds made of crates with very poor dirty, thin mattresses, one of which I had to sleep in as my teenager son was to big for it, I am still suffering with a bad back now, 2 weeks later. The balcony was really dirty with human hair all over the floor and filthy walls, not a relaxing clean place to have a drink on holiday. The pool is very dangerous with pools of water around the outside, no rubber mats, and plenty of people slipping and hurting themselves. The parasols around the pool are broken with the fabric detached from the spokes, my son stood up and nearly put his eye out. No a la carte restaurants, so the same every night in the main dining hall. Not allowed to use drink or eat at any of the sister hotels, your coloured wrist band determines this. Had to go to doctor for my small boy who had chronic stomach pains. Food was ok and the enterainment team were really good, but for the price it was no where near a 4 star, I have stayed in 4 star plus that were cheaper than this hotel. Advice its very rare I am disappointed with my holiday, but I have to stay for the price we paid it was not up to standard and I would definately not recommend this hotel, I would rather pay the little extra and go to carribean.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
3 Thank Jenna600
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

well I just got back from staying at the sol nessebar mare,i went with family there was 10 of us all together we had 3,11,15and 16 year olds with us the little 1s loved it the older to just chilled out and went with the flo,the entertainment was good and something to do through the day like shooting, archery, dancing there was pool volley ball ect there was always a cartoon character going round the resort with a photographer having there pic taken with the kids our kids loved that.the rooms were basic but enough for what u need them for and we had pool view from 2nd floor and always clean maids really happy and friendly like all staff were. we went into the old and new town of nessebar and it was really nice and the walk was lovely we ate out a couple of times and the prices were decent, it was a very quiet place , I wasn't to keen on the breakfast menu but the dinner and tea time menu was good I would defo go again with the younger kids as they loved every minute of it .and u get free wifi from reception great for the older kids as they took there ipads so could get in touch with family and friends .

Room Tip: we had a pool view from 2nd floor our balcony was in the sun most of the day we were in rooms 222 22...
1 Thank lloydie911
Flemish Brabant Province, Belgium
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Something that never happened to me in the 20 years I have traveled intensively (in 26 countries): my passport was kept for 24hours and in order to get it back, I had to pay the bill in advance (parking as well) while we had a 9-day reservation (instead of keeping the credit card details only)! Even though I have a Melia Award card, this made me feel like a "non-customer" ! The staff at the reception makes you feel like you are nobody. The rooms are very standard (the only soap provided is a refill type machine which smells bad and for which you cannot see the ingredients) The fridge was not working properly and was replaced the next day but the cleaning lady had knocked at our door at 9am while the 'do not disturb sign' was placed and then she entered the room with two guys as if she was at her house! We had asked to check on the fridge but the reception could at least have informed us or asked us when it was possible to enter our room!! I was getting ready to go for breakfast and I find it still difficult to accept that we were disturbed with the 'do not disturb sign on"! This is a lack of the minimum respect and rule in every hotel in the world.

The outside pools are closed at 6 pm in the summer time (!- then they use it for paying activities:big ballons and pneumatic cars) and the inside one at 7 pm....

The outside swimming pool is large but too small for the quantity of guests. There is a second pool outside but it is even smaller and used in the evening for special boats so it does not look clean. The inside pool is small. There are no places to clean the feet before entering the pool. One part of the pool (small island in the middle) is very deteriorated and needs to be repaired urgently> it is very dangerous for the kids who play there and jump all the time from that spot (even though a sign shows not to jump)The guests reserve their place with towels on the sunbeds and at 9h30 you cannot find a free sunbed to lay on and they keep it for the whole day without using it (maybe 1/4 are used in the end!!) The signs indicate that you should not reserve sunbeds, but everyone does it and it is also forbidden to smoke at the pool but I count 5 smokers at once with children around...No lifeguard visible in two days time...but the animation guys and the waiters are ok.For the restaurant, you have the choice between a small terrace or a crowded and noisy room inside with air-conditioning and doors wide-open to the outside (very environment friendly such as the dustbin where all the trash is mixed- no recycling possible as no one respect it) The food is not very good (very basic and not of the best quality- one choice of meat and fish per meal only) No babysitters and no activities possible for children under 4 years old. Only three lifts for 7-floors, so you wait for it for a long time and even more if you have to enter with a baby pram/trolley. There is a beach area which is ok but the sandy part is small. The other hotel: Palace sol melia is nicer inside and the pool is large and the pool area very large, but you may not use its premises (only the paying spa and hairdresser- the color of your bracelet indicates that you are not in that hotel)

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Although the rooms are quite basic, especially for a family of four, what made the holiday was the quality of service from all staff members of the Sol Nessebar Mare hotel, from the team during mealtimes, the cleaners who are very quick to clean up whenever it is required, to the animation team that works relentlessly to keep everyone involved and put on a highly professional entertainment performance each night. A very clean hotel with more than plenty to keep you occupied. The location is excellent as it is quieter than Sunny Beach but close to the old town as well as the Aqua Paradise water park. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rjarman0404
Janina_SNP, Quality Manager at Sol Nessebar Mare, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Roger J,
My name is Janina Ninova and I am Quality manager at Sol Nessebar Resort.
Thank you for sharing your experience in Sol Nessebar Mare, for all the wonderful words about our housekeeping, restaurant and animation staff! You just made our day!
Thank you also for recommending us - we will not let you dawn.
We all hope to see you in Sol Nessebar Mare again for another pleasant, relaxing and enjoyable stay!
Best wishes,
Janina Ninova, Quality Manager Sol Nessebar Resort
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just got back from this hotel it was absolutely brilliant. The rooms were beautiful and spotless. The food was delicious and varied. All of the staff were friendly, helpful and very hard working. You could have as many drinks you wanted not just one per person like in some hotels. The animation team was very good and catered for all ages and never failed to ask everybody if they wanted to join in. There was enough sunbeds for everybody but lots of people did get early to put their towels on. I would definitely go back there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank stefan j
Janina_SNP, Quality Manager at Sol Nessebar Mare, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Stefan J,
My name is Janina Ninova and I am the quality manager at Sol Nessebar Resort.
Thank you for choosing Sol Nessebar Mare for your holiday, as well as for your time spent on sharing your opinion about us. Your intention to “definitely go back” make us believe our aim to make your stay enjoyable is achieved.
Thank you again and see you soon!
Kind regards,
Janina Ninova
Quality Manager Sol Nessebar Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nessebar
Italia
#25 of 110 in Golden Sands
Sol Nessebar Bay
Sol Nessebar Bay
#3 of 35 in Nessebar

Been to Sol Nessebar Mare? Share your experiences!