“bring your own microwave!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Moura Hotel

Moura Hotel
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Borovets
“bring your own microwave!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

food terrible. rooms shocking. thats the hotel out of the way then. borovets is one of the most lawless hell holes I have ever experienced. it seemed like every other building was a brothel with a sleezy man at the door trying to lure your gaze inside. the amount of opportunist thieves and beggars is beyond belief. pistes could be better maintained by my grandmother. nothing more to say than "don't even think about going to this place". on the up side though, I hear global warming is going to wreck the snow potential here so that will save awfull travel agents the trouble of trying to sell this place to you. #magaluf with snow.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank rthec

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

My friend and myself paid £340 for a weeks half board holiday,yes the food is not cordon bleu,but we found it to be ok,and you could have as much or as little as you wanted.We had a lovely spacious room on the ground floor,which was nice,warm and comfortable with a balcany.The room was also clean with a TV,shower and toilet.The hotel is near the slopes or the centre of Borovets.Also the staff if you bothered to talk to them,we found very friendly.The waiter Mikel kept the dinning room opened for me a little longer,as I was late getting back from a snow boarding tester lesson,even though they had a private party on.I am a smoker and found having a cigerrette with a beer and not having to go out in the cold nice and relaxing.
The skiing was fantastic,we skied powder for 2 days,and our instructor was equally as good.
The only complaint I have is with the residence of the hotel,who bowled in at between 2 and 3 in the morning making as much noise as possible,not having any consideration for other guests.I was woken almost every night,one night not being able to get back to sleep at all.The night staff should of controlled this.
Bulgaria is very cheap,£1.10 in the hotel for a beer,and if you did not like the food in the hotel,food outside was cheap enough.
All in all a excellent very cheap weeks skiing which you could not get anywhere else in Europe.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ted048
Surrey, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I paid £117.00 for the week of bed and breakfast at this hotel, which is £16.72 per night.
For this I had a spacious heated room with a TV, shower and toilet and breakfast. The hotel is near to the gondola and centre of Borovets. I regarded this and still do as very good value for money. I do not know what other people paid but if your main complaint is the breakfast, then eat at a cafe nearby for about 4 lev, which is about £1.70. My opinion of the breakfast was out of the £16.72 I paid per night, the amount I am paying for breakfast was about £2.00. I do not like a large breakfast before skiing, so would have just 2 mugs of tea and four slices of toast. I saw some of the reviews of people complaining about the tea but you should know you never expect good quality tea when it is "ready mix". There is a large boiling water kettle, with empty mugs and tea bags next to it for you to make yourself.
I did not pay for the evening meal so cannot comment.
I found one of the female receptionists to be very friendly and the other one to be alright. For example, when returning from the bar to the hotel, there was a tray of about 6 shots at a table near reception. I was offered one and while there I asked if I could have another and ended up drinking them all. I don't call this unfriendly. I did not drink in the bar so cannot comment.
I did not find cigarette smoke at reception to be excessive or the noise from the nightclub to keep me awake.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Rob C
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

I almost can’t emphasise enough how absolutely awful this place is…. but I‘ll give it a go…..

Yes, it’s cheap when part of a deal but it’s REALLY not worth the saving. We ended up eating out for every single meal as the food was so astonishingly bad. It really was the worst I have ever come across, including a trip to the Burmese rainforest! Every night there was an unknown meat served with a couple of over cooked and over salted carb options – both inedible, as was the ‘meat’ but that goes without saying. There was actually a rush on the chips every time they arrived from the kitchen such was the quality elsewhere on the buffet. The slop/ mess served up at dinner actually became a joke around the hotel guests. I’ll dig out some photo’s to attach below.

Moving onto the staff; they were some of the most miserable and strange human beings I have ever come across…more robotic than human and incredibly rude and unfriendly at all times of the day, but then this can also be said for a lot of others in the 'resort' particularly those attending the traditional gypsy wedding that took place one night in the hotels dining room. Dinner was brought forward for hotel guests to between 5 and 7 for them to accommodate the party, clearly they were more important than hotel guests. Thankfully by this time we had given up with the food and dinner in particular (it was Tuesday – 2 days was all it took) so it didn’t affect us, we just took in the hilarious dress code and permed hair(!) and went out for a steak. Thank heavens for Katy’s Restaurant - easily the best, and possible the only edible food in town.

Now onto the rooms. They're mouldy, cold, cramped, old, tired, pretty untidy and smelt of smoke. The cleaners seemed only to fold back your bed sheets on the daily rounds, nothing else. There was no sign of a hoover or a mop…. or any other cleaning apparatus for that matter. Oh and my friend was robbed of about £100 from a bag in her room whilst skiing which was flatly denied at the front desk and dismissed as impossible. Thankfully our rep from Neilson took this matter more seriously.

Finally a public health warning. You might as well smoke if you stay here, there is absolutely no ventilation in the hotel lobby/ bar and everybody seems to smoke 24hrs a day. There is either a rancid smell of stale smoke in the morning or a constant thick smog in the evening.

My advice – avoid this place like the plague unless you want end up with it, it really is the worst place I have ever stayed. SAVE YOURSELVES.

Ps. The skiing is pretty crap too unless you're a complete beginner.

Room Tip: Constant smell of smoke on entire ground floor, but by this stage its too late. Avoid the entire bui...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tom33333

Travelers are raving about these Borovets hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

The Moura is an old hotel and my visit was during the final week of the season, so I didn't expect a lot, but what we did end up with was unacceptable. The staff were rude, lazy and inviting friends to eat the food that was provided as we decided to go half board. If you could really call it food, that is when there was some left, if you're visiting the Moura be sure to head down to the restaurant as soon as possible. Our room was also left unclean and untidy for two days of our stay, which we then prompted staff of this. Also the towels are only changed every four days so take spares or lots of money to have the changed each day. Overall, unhappy with the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zoe G
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

If you're expecting top quality furniture, Michelin star food and staff waiting on your every whim then you will be disappointed. However if you intend to spend all day on the slopes and just need a place to sleep and some food to keep you going then this is great place to stay. When we arrived we were given a bag containing sandwiches, fruit and a drink because it was quite late at night and the restaurant had closed which we thought was quite thoughtful. The rooms were simple but cosy and the beds were comfortable. The rooms have everything you need (shower, toilet, sink, tv, fridge, beds, etc.) for when you return from the slopes. Breakfast has quite a range of different foods like hot meats and egg, cold meats, cheeses, fruit, cereal and toast. As i said, it's not michelin star quality but it fills you up. Dinner is mostly made up of carbohydrates like pasta, rice, potato and bread with some meats and soups and 2 or 3 deserts. When we read previous reviews saying the food was bad we were slightly worried but we honestly had no problem with the food at all and enjoyed it! The hotel isn't far from the Gondola (around 5 minutes walk) and the Rila slopes are only a little further up the road. There are plenty of restaurants and supermarkets around the hotel in case you need any supplies or want to eat out. The staff at the hotel don't speak too much english but if you're friendly to them and speak slowly and clearly then there isn't a problem. The only real problem we had was the lack of smoking laws in Bulgaria. The lobby in the hotel often has people smoking in it and it seems that most bulgarians in the area smoke.
Overall, it's a lovely little hotel. It gets the job done when you're off the slopes. If you're going on a skiing/snowboarding holiday then why pay more for a luxury hotel if you're spending all your time on the slopes anyway? Definitely recommend this hotel for younger skiers/snowboarders

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jen G
Brigg, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Well where do i start , the hotel moura is an old hotel but well looked after and the beds and rooms are exelent espeicaly the beds , the bar is cosey and very cheap the disco is exellent but seems to always be empty , on the friday night before we left the disco had quite a few bulgarians in and the music was aimed at thame so wasnt very good for us brits :( but there are other places to go so we still had great time , the food in the hotel wasnt really upto much but there was some things we could eat now and then , so spent quite alot on eating out , all in all we had a great time the staff in hotel were very polite i defo would go back :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

Also consider these accommodations in or near Borovets
Hotel Ela
#9 of 29 in Borovets
Radina's Way Hotel
Radina's Way Hotel
#7 of 29 in Borovets

Been to Moura Hotel? Share your experiences!