“4 star facilities with 3 star rooms”

Hotel Rila Borovets
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Borovets
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The rooms in the hotel are basic but if you get a front facing room looking out on the ski slopes then you forget all about the room! The lobby area of the hotel is large and well laid out with plenty of comfortable sofas that you will appreciate after a day on the slopes. Wifi is available and free in the lobby but can get very slow with lots of users. There is a large pool and spa area. The breakfast has a good selection but bad coffee, After the first day I skipped the breakfast coffee and had a decent one in the lobby bar.
The Rila is a good choice for a family or group ski holiday. The ski school is right outside the front door and there is a good selection of bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SuzDundalk

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel is good compared with local standards and is probably better than other hotels around.

I have stayed here twice and would recommend it if you are coming to the area... its definitely the one to stay at!

its at the base of the slopes, so you couldnt want a better location... more time on the slopes!
the hotel rooms are basic, but fine. its warm and comfortable.
the food is ok, nothing special and not very exciting to be honest. its not bad.. but its not great.
the hotel pool is lovely, its nice to swim after a day in the mountain.
the bar area is also good and a nice meeting place.
its right next to bars etc too. so good location there.

Room Tip: ask for a room over the slopes.. nice view. ask for a second room key as you are only provided wit...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SolLoving
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a family of four with two rooms, and part of a three families group. When we arrived in early afternoon the receptionists seem to be overwhelmed and not coping well. We checked in only to realise that we were given in a twin room, so I asked to be moved to specifically and pre-requested double room (for the record, a twin room is one with two single beds and a double is – yes a double bed), they sent someone to my room to help me and the lady who I gathered from her outfit is the cleaner didn’t speak a word of English, French, Greek nor Arabic. To cut the story short, I was told that the hotel only has single beds and that was that. Then the room didn’t have a locker or a safe, so went to reception and they offered me one, but I had to pay for it!!! (what, in a four stars hotel!), the bed side lamps were hanging off the wall barely attached to anything and would not turn, the sink was chipped and paint removed with cigarettes burns, the beds were too soft with cheap mattresses. Lobby / bar waitresses were the most miserable I have ever encountered, and everything was charged additionally, i.e. if you have a coffee and ask for milk you would get charged 1 Lev for a small pot of milk. On one occasion we ordered food while in the lobby area because the price looked reasonably good, but the food arrived very cold (burgers and the chips etc). From my room I phoned to order coffee one day because there aren’t any coffee, tea making facilities in the room (what, is it a 4 stars really!) and was told that there was a minimum charge of 10 lev for room service, so I bumped up my order in order to get a coffee. The buffet breakfast that I had on the first day included eggs, bacons, beans etc was all freezing cold, after that I stuck to the cheese and ham for breakfast. The swimming pool was colder than the sign that says 28 degrees and above the Jacuzzi there are panels of wood cladding that were overhanging and nearly falling down, the hotel in general is shabby and should not be advertised as a 4 star hotel. Apart from its location right at the bottom of a slope and ski lifts and cleanliness it is not good in my opinion and certainly worse than some two or three stars hotels that I stayed at in the back streets. I personally would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don’t take a room overlooking the slope, the loud music played by the bars doesn’t stop sometimes ti...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel looks not very bad, but unfortunately only from outside view. The rooms are terrible and one of the lamps over my bed, fell and I almost got shocked, but that was only the beginning. I bought some food, but I got stomachache and I needed to go to the hospital, when I was ordering food everybody was lying me that they don't have that thing that I wanted to order, nobody spoke in English and even they said that I have to pay for the old and not cleaned maybe from 10 years pool. The staff are so annoying and cheeky, I was sleeping and an old cleaner came at my room, even I had put a note on my door" do not disturb me, please !" She woke me up and started shouting at me and saying that I have to get out from the poorest room ever.
That is the worst hotel ever I've seen!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Wannalini
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a great budget hotel! For the two of us to go Skiing for the week including airport transfers, equipment hire and lift passes we paid a little over £1500.
We stayed in the hotel rather than the studios and went half board. We were happy with the food on offer in the main. Breakfast was sometimes a little disappointing; more so as I wasn't too keen on their scrambled eggs as I felt they were rather rich with butter! There were fried eggs available on the odd day, and hard boiled eggs were available every day! I'm also not keen on sausage for breakfast and there wasn't always bacon! However, saying that, there was always plenty to eat. The evening meal was always very good, with loads of choice. Drinks in the hotel were also reasonable, but there was definitely an obvious ‘mark-up’.
The restaurant and hotel staff were good, efficient and seemed to do a very good job in general. However the girls in the bar area were often unhelpful and ignorant! It was often hard to get a drink and even to pay for one once you had. Woe betides you if you asked the ‘wrong’ waitress for something (if looks could kill!)
The hotel is a little scruffy, especially the pool area and needs some serious money spent on it. The rooms were clean, warm and big enough for the two of us. We had twin beds, which although rudimentary, were reasonably comfortable. We had a lovely deep bath in the on suite, and there was always plenty of very hot water. There is a telly channel that tells you what lifts are open and I suggest you observe this before you walk down to the Gondola, as it’s a long walk back!
There are loads of good bars and restaurants within spitting distance of the hotel and the nightlife is what you make of it! If you want to stay out all night partying you can. The prices have risen over the last three years (we are told), but it’s still excellent value for money. Do watch your footing! The roads and pavements are badly maintained and become very icy at night and in the morning before the sun gets on them!
Overall, for what we paid, the Rila was very good. I would stay again. The skiing is excellent and varied, however the equipment could be better maintained. If you are skiing for the first time, ensure you ask your instructor to check the edges on your skis and that your boots are fitted correctly, as this will help you feel more comfortable and have better control on the snow.

Room Tip: There is a nightclub under the hotel and noise travels. I took earplugs and used them every night!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lilypeg
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Rila in the first week of Feb 13 (2 Adults & a 19 year old). We had a private transfer from the airport that took just over an hour and well worth it compared to sitting on the coach.
The hotel is in a prime location at the bottom of the slope. The slopes cover all abilities although the reds intitally look like blacks but when you get on them they are reds. There are several ski ways to gets you down if you are not confident to do the runs, howver they are not very wide & it is a long way to snow plow if you are not confident to do quick parallel turns.

We purchased our ski passes & equipment & lessons in advance via Hunters, who were recommended - it was by far cheaper to do in advance than in the resort.

We were on half board basis, the food in the hotel is good, although there are some strange dishes some nights, and one of us is a veggy and there was always plenty of choice. We only ate out at night once at a mexican as an end of hols treat. At lunch there are plenty of bars to choose from and we tried a few - generally pizzas / burgers / toasties. The food & drink up on the top slopes accessed by the gondala is about 50% more expensive.

As a summary would recommend skiing in Borovets and met several people who had been before and we would be tempted to return.

Room Tip: We had a studio room facing the bottom of the slope, excellent view, however you can hear the bars u...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tim H
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just got back from staying in the rila studios on the second floor facing the slopes. Big balcony big beds fridge tv and radio . Location is bottom of the rila slopes and a short walk ( 5 mins in ski boots ) to the gondola . Food was good always something new to eat everyday and hot ! Never cold for us ! . Had one night of load music from the bars outside but didn't bother us as we had been skiing all day and very tired . Ski kindergarten and nursery good but there English is a bit limited . Shops in hotel and around resort sell some good items but I do wonder if they are fake !!!!! Bulgarians outside bars an restaurants bugging you to come in and try something ! Overall it's a very good budget hotel and would stay again if I every ride in borovets again . Slopes are good and found some good off piste there ! Beers about 3 - 4 lev pizza 14 lev and meal for 4 with drinks will be about 80 lev . Overall good cheap budget ski holiday .

• Stayed: February 2013