“Good hotel for golf lovers”

Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Balchik
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have stayed in the villa in July 2013. The resort, together with 2 other golf courses (Black Sea Rama and Thracian Cliffs) makes very enjoyable experience for golf lovers. 3 courses are different and I would recommend to play in the following order - Lighthouse, Black Sea and Thracian Cliffs, with the last one being especially difficult but breathtaking course. Courses are generally quite, so you can find tee times easily.
Resort service is 4+, not 5 stars. From time to time you will encounter strange decisions or not so polite staff, however, if you insist, things will be done your way (as in Russia), which is not always my way of having relaxed holidays. For example, the first villa that we were shown was not in the best shape, with spider nets being visible and no water in the poll by the villa - when we requested another villa, it was given in 30 minutes and turned out to be very nice. Breakfast buffet was very good, also dinner buffet is good.
As regards the Lighthouse resort, if you stay in villa and prefer to cook sometimes, you need to have a car (take it in the airport). Then you can visit Balchik, which is some 10 km away and buy all necessary fruits, vegetables and other things. Apart from that there is not much to see around.
The hotel has a big swimming pool, but did not have beach access in July - its own beach was closed (due to road damage) and the beach that they have offered to visit was a joke - with big stones and no proper entry to the sea. In Thracian Cliffs you have very good access to the beach (as far as you can see from the golf course), but dining options there are very limited and a bit more expensive (as confirmed by our friends who stayed there).
Climate is very good also in July - it was rarely above +30 and with sea breeze the weather is very enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed with my adult children for one night at the Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort in Balchik in August 2012. This hotel was recommended to me by a friend who had stayed there a few months earlier. The hotel is fairly new. The rooms are spacious, well furnished and offer a nice view over the pool and the Black Sea. We had an excellent dinner at the poolside restaurant.

So far for the good points. Now the bad ones.

As soon as we arrived we went to the pool. We were told by the reception that the staff there would provide us with towels. There was however nobody to be found at the poolside. We asked the staff at the poolbar but they didn't know about this. Finally we found the guy in the fitness room adjacent to the pool where he was apparently having a nap !!

The other disappointment was the transport to and from the beach, and the beach itself. The hotel is located on top of a cliff and provides complementary transport to the beach. The beach is a big disappointment. It is not a private beach and if you don't have very thick rubber shoes you cannot go into the water because of the very rocky underground. You cannot even swim in it. So we could only have a suntan on a very narrow stretch of beach. When we left the beach to get the transport back to the hotel (we arrived at the rendez-vous point 5 minutes before the scheduled time) there was no bus to be seen. We waited for 10 minutes but still no bus. I finally called the reception of the hotel. They told us that the bus had waited but that we had been late at the rendez-vous. This was totally untrue. I insisted that we needed the bus back to the hotel. They finally send us one but we lost 1 hour. Due to that my daughter missed her appointment at the hotel's spa ! When I complained about this to the receptionist he told me that he was aware of the situation but that he couldn't do anything about it because this transport was not under his control. There was no manager available for a complaint.

So, some good experience and some bad (which you should not have in a hotel of this class and price).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PaulL56
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Lighthouse for 2 weeks. The room itself was not huge but very comfortable beds nice bathroom and a stunning view to the sea. I personally think the best place but just for golfer. 3 golf courses within 10 KM ( Lighthouse ok, but nothing special, Black Sea Rama very nice course like Tuscany and Thracian Cliffs my favorite the best I played all over the world). The best no crowded. We played alone at any time. I've never seen before. However the hotel should improve a lot. I personally think the staff is no skilled and is lazy. However the staff was not unfriendly even attentive sometimes but not used to working hard. The food overall was nothing special. The dinner was boring and very strange sometimes. We went to another places although we have had half board.
The breakfast was ok, but not a 5 stars standard.

Still we are ready to come back. Of course for golf and hope to see a lot of improvements.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were on a business trip with a whole group staying in the resort. The first impression was not bad at all. I looked clean, friendly reception desk personnel an a great room in terms of both space and endowments. The building in terms of architecture is not necessarily top design but the rooms look really nice with very spacious bathrooms. You can find from bathrobe to hair dryer to minibar at 5 stars standards. Wi-fi was ok...ish. But then you start to see details, first of all staff attitude and behavior: 3 staff members had, in my opinion, inappropriate behavior from negative comments about other group of guests, to "don't tell me you want a complete redesign of the conference room" remarks, ending up with jokes that were too informal for the context.
The food was good but not five stars chef touch with it. (salads were great though, which in Bulgaria is a national gift!). The Spa was nice with some interesting facilities (shower with tropical birds sound for instance).
I do not play golf, but apparently, the course is in good shape and it also allows guest to link with other 2 "18 holes" courses nearby. It looks like a good value for money from this perspective.
And still, I have rated this hotel with average. I think it is also because it gives you the feeling is not quite there, yet and it was done in a hurry, and not quite finished. If they had advertised as a 4 stars, I would have probably rated it as "very good".

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LucianMM
Alexandra T, Director of Sales at Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback. Your opinion is very important for us and I assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration. We are pleased that you enjoyed the rooms, the facilities and the spa center and I apologize if our service staff failed to communicate with you on the professional level you have expected. Please be assured that appropriate measures will be taken to solve this issue.

It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you back at Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort and ensure you with the wonderful stay you are looking for.

Yours sincerely,

Alexandra Tchoukleva

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at Lighthouse Golf and Spa for 4 nights with my family at the end of September and we all really enjoyed it. Overall, it is an excellent and diverse resort – beautiful location, delicious food and a great spot for relaxation.

At first, we were wondering whether to take an apartment or a room in the hotel. Finally, we decided on a hotel room because the spa facilities and breakfast were included for free. The rooms are very specious and tastefully furnished (as you would expect from a true 5 star hotel). The hotel is situated on the cliffs above the sea and our room had a spectacular sea view from the terrace.

As I, personally, do not play golf, I was a bit sceptical of what I can do there, but I was pleasantly surprised. There is quite a lot of choice for a closed resort - 3 restaurants (Italian, sea food and main), piano bar, huge spa centre and an infinity pool. A downside is that you need a car to get to nearby places outside the resort, so you should either rent a car or request a transfer from the hotel. We used the hotel transfer twice and it was quite convenient.

We tried all 3 restaurants. Prices are reasonable and I cannot recommend enough the sea food one. We didn’t visit the beach because we were very happy with the pool area and the pool bar. We tried some golf lessons – turns out it is much harder than it seems, so my lack of experience was painfully evident! I also recommend the massage with hot stones in the SPA - amazing!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Neda_Sofia

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us. There is no better reward for us than your words of approval of our rooms, food and staff. We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here twice once off season and once in. Great hotel excellent facilities, good service and good food if pricey. They have the best spa facilities I have seen anywhere with multiple steam rooms/sauna rooms and even adventure shower. Indoor and great outdoor pool but this is seasonal. I was on business for 2 days so great for me, but middle of nowhere so if you want a beach or a town close by you need to look elsewhere. Probably good for a golfer but I'm not so can't judge.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms also over looks the pool otherwise they overlook barren space.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion regarding your stay at Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort.

It is a pleasure to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our facilities, food and service and especially with our Spa & Wellness center.
Indeed the resort is of closed type so in order to facilitate our guests and make their stay even more pleasant we are ensuring free shuttle service to the beach and also we can arrange transfers to nearby historical town of Balchik. For next season we are also planning various excursions to nearby attractions to diversify your stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We planed our stay at this resort several months in advance. As we were travelling with small children we decided to book a villa with pool and paid the whole sum in advance (it was our big mistake!). Hotel managers assured me that the resort is very child friendly - that they have everything necessary like kid's club, kid's play room, outdoor playground, good beach etc.

Upon our arrival we found out that the villa was not ready for our stay - it was dirty, there were even spider's net on the pillows, the pool seemed to be covered with duckweed and was smelly. We immediately asked for another accomodation. First they refused saying that everything will be cleaned in the next few days, but I had to insist. Finally we got 3 rooms in the hotel. As we were extremely tired after our trip I didn't pay attention that they made a very strange cost calculation for our new accomodation counting rooms at the non-existent high rates. When I found it out all my attempts to solve this problem with the hotel manager and sales manager failed. They even didn't want to apologize for the whole situation and were doing their best to avoid any kind of contact with me saying that my issue was being consider personally by their CEO in Sofia! By the way, at that time (July) the hotel was half-empty and I guess they could be more client oriented and friendly to a person who planned to stay in their hotel with the family for the whole month!

Other negative things - kid's club, kid's playroom don't exist in this hotel at all, hotel managers were just telling lies to me their e-mails. Outdoor playground is located in between of thorny plants and is not safe for children at all. Beach is 15 min car ride and is not good.

What was good - rooms are beautiful, excellent pool, nice spa (just interior, not the staff).

After all this negative experience we decided to leave this hotel and to continue our stay in a truly 5 star resort with friendly and professional management and good children facilities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank pmvf

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your constructive comments, however I was very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

I apologize that you were left with the impression that communication with the management was difficult. This is certainly not typical and we pay particular attention to this point in order to correct our attitudes where necessary.

In regards to the kid’s facilities, you may be interested that we have opened the kids room and we also have available a game’s room. Also we offered kid’s animation during the summer months.

I’m pleased that you enjoyed the upgrade in hotel - the Rooms, the Pool and the Spa Center.

I would like personally apologize for the experience you have had. In fact, I would like to let you know that all of us here at Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort daily strive to achieve a high level of satisfaction for all of our guests.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back at Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort.

Sales Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balchik
White Rock Castle Suite Hotel
Hotel Paris
Hotel Paris
#11 of 20 in Balchik
DoubleTree by Hilton Varna - Golden Sands

Been to Lighthouse Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!