I am a advertising professional living in Manhattan, who traveled here on a 5 day holiday with a dear friend after a 4 day stay in Rio.
Although the accommodations at this boutique hotel are not "plush" because of its tropical climate and location, the stay here is truly a privileged experience.
The Pousada is situated just above a quaint fishing village with spectacular views of the rainforest, beaches and outlaying islands. The staff is extremely professional, and could not be more helpful or accommodating. The quality of service at this warm, charming Pousada truly rivals or surpasses that of the Four Seasons or other ultra luxury hotel accommodations, yet it is more personal and less "corporate".
The grounds themselves were lush and well-kept. There are ample areas to lounge and a outside bar where you can enjoy a caipirinha under its small awning during the occasional afternoon rainshower. Rooms are modestly sized but extremely clean, tastefully decorated and comforable. Each has a balcony and hammock to enjoy the view, and all seem to face the bay. Inside there are two cozy sitting areas that are also comfortable, modern and clean.
The food is extremely fresh and almost everything is locally-sourced. There is an a la carte menu which can be ordered from during the day; breakfast and dinners are served buffet style with many options. I was a vegetarian, and they accommodated my preferences generously. The wine cellar is stocked with both South American and European wines. Brazil is best known for their sparkling wines (versus white or red) so if the Pousada happens to have one on the list while you are there, it is a must-try.
It is perfectly possible to spend 4 days within the grounds and the village. The staff can arrange snorkeling boat trips, a paddle boarding less/tour of the nearby mangroves, or you can swim/walk to other beaches farther down the coast. I spent a few days scuba diving out of both nearby Paraty and Ubatuba. Of the two, Ubatuba had a more professional PADI dive center -- Omnimare. Book on the days when they are traveling to the farther out islands where there are larger schools of fish and more diversity. The closer islands lack much sea life -- although we did see a few spotted rays and a turtle.
There was a wide range of guests at the Pousada from all parts of the world -- from families, to honeymooners and couples -- and we made many friends. If you do visit, please ask to be introduced to the local celebrity "James Bond". You will not be disappointed.
Pousada Picinguaba is a terrific find, and highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel Picinguaba overlooks a peaceful bay at the heart of the Natural Park of Serra do Mar, the tropical coastal forest running between Rio and São Paulo, about half an hour's drive south of Paraty.It is the only charming hotel in a 30km radius. It faces the sea and a 3 km-long protected sandy beach. The hotel offers (09) nine comfortable rooms all opening onto the natural surroundings and the sea, including a dream honeymoon Suite with en suite jacuzzi and a breathtaking view of the ocean. The local road stops at the beach and one has to walk the last 250m to the hotel, nestled in the forest.Everything here is attuned to the spirit of the place, with nothing to disturb nature's magic: no TV or telephone in the rooms, no Internet, no air-conditioning. This place is for you to be in a different world, the only sounds are the wind in the palm trees and the sea gently lapping the shore.Pousada Picinguaba was selected in HIP HOTELS as one of the 80 most extraordinary hotels around the world and was featured in National Geographic Stay List 2011. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Pousada Picinguaba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pousada Picinguaba Hotel Ubatuba
- Pousada Picinguaba Ubatuba, Brazil