“Charming hotel, great experience”
Review of Pousada Picinguaba

Pousada Picinguaba
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Ubatuba
Sao Paulo, SP
“Charming hotel, great experience”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My wife and spent a weekend at this hotel and it was a wonderful experience. Sights are incredible, food is amazing and service is very nice. There is even a semi desert beach at walking distance from this hotel. We stayed at the honeymoon suite. Arriving late at the hotel (due to Sao Paulo traffic!) we even got a special dinner in our suite because we were way past dining time. Great experience.
Downside is difficult access to reach hotel. You have to park your car at at the fisher village and walk a long way uphill with some steps.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Molnar71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boston
Reviewed February 29, 2012

In the movie 'The Tree of Life' by Terry Malick, a voice unveils the two possible paths that a human life can walk: the way of nature or the way of grace. It occurred to me that Picinguaba has eluded this alternative. It reconciled the two ways in one.

I came to Pousada Picinguaba as the result of word of mouth. I was looking for a clean break from my overactive and connected way of life. As a writer and journalist, I have no official office and every place is pretext for a new idea, a new inquiry. There's little room for unplugging the brain. Even vacations seem an excuse to get work done somewhere new. Picinguaba, however, was different. How did it do it? Is it the internet-free environment? Yes and so much more.

The hotel has only ten rooms and this creates an intimate atmosphere yet always respectful of individual privacy. I mostly rested alone yet I managed to meet the most interesting people. And here I include the international crowd as much as the local fishermen who are fascinating characters without exoticizing anything. Put on an even field, I've met a lot of inspiring human beings. The great thing about Picinguaba is that in being what it is, I would say that it self-selects the kind of people that come here. Nature-inclined people, mostly open-minded, stimulated by both the majesty and simplicity of the place.

The alchemy of the site is close to unwordable. Nature leads the way to your stay. I learned that the pousada is entirely sustainable and cohabits in harmony with the surrounding forest, beach and village. If it rains (and it rained a couple days), oh well, time for a good book to read in the hammock on the patio. Also, much of the food I ate came from the morning catch. No matter how much you bring your own pace to Picinguaba, its rhythm gets you. And how good can it feel to let go! This incorporation of nature in such a mindful way was true luxury to me.

But, hey, I wasn't looking for the lost ark kind of adventure. I like my confort, the taste of an abundant breakfast, the feeling of being fully taken care of. Not to lie, a regular room at Pousada Picinguaba is not the palace suite type at all (no AC, TV, minibar, etc.) But that could seem almost out of place in such an environment. At least, I wasn't looking for a 'no man's land' hotel which could be in Brazil as well as anywhere else. Rather, you get a local Brazilian staff whose genuine freshness is hard to find nowadays in big hotels. Though perfectly professional, they made sure I had a personalized experience of the area. You may notice a lot of attention to detail, whether it is for the books in my bedroom that seemed to be exactly what I needed to get your mind off the hook, an evening of music by a local guy whom I happily followed down in the village for another caipirinha, a surf teacher who is just more than just the typical surf teacher... I couldn't say. It really evoked grace to me, sponateneous and beautiful moments.

Not to forget the cartography of the place a luscious rainforest that pours into a magnificent bay bordered by green moutains, secluded beaches and Robinson Crusoe islands), the Pousada Pincinguaba was a true gift overall.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank cgjung
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We arrived straight off the plane from London (via Sao Paulo) and into a haven on peace, tranquillity, a stunning setting, great views and a really personal service that made our stay very special. We were after a very relaxed start to our holiday and we couldn't have picked a better spot! The views from the loungers by the pool, the restaurant and the rooms are all wonderful. The setting of the old colonial farm house in a lush garden full of hundreds of orchids and flowers was heavenly. It is very peaceful too. We were there 6 nights and the staff made us feel very at home. Nothing was too much trouble. And for a couple of nights we were the only guests (we were there Nov 2011) and the staff took just as much effort as when they had a full house. We dined and breakfasted in a variety of different places on the property - fun to have a change of scene and the food was delicious. Breakfast was a particular highlight as there was so much delicious fresh fruit and a choice of different breads, cheese, meats, cereals, muffins and cake.

The pool is perfect for cooling off, not really a lap pool, but the sea is just a few minutes walk down the hill and it is wonderful to walk/swim on the nearby beaches. And all set in a very picturesque working fishing village.

We took one of the tours off to a waterfall - it was one of the best things we did locally. The walk is not challenging - took just less than an hour and then we arrived we had this stunning huge secluded waterfall all to our self. Would have been very romantic if you are a couple.

Despite the stunning setting it was really the staff who made this the magical stay it was. Oseias and Talia lead a wonderful team with Magno, Fausto, Swell and Mayeon. Nothing was ever too much bother and they were great at suggesting things for us worried we might be bored.

The only downside at all was the sand flies were quite bad while we were down on the beach if we didn't wear repellent. And if you have issues with walking there are quite a lot of steps. But for anyone able bodied it would be no problem at all.

Do bring some DVDs as they have a cool projector in the salon and we watched a couple of films. They have some there but it is quite an eclectic collection.

We loved our stay here and I have certainly been recommending friends to go there and would love an opportunity to go back myself. A true gem.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Helen17PW
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We spent an incredible 3 weeks travelling through Argentina & Brazil staying in Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Ihla Bella, Picinguaba & Rio. Upon arrival at Picinguaba you travel down some secluded roads with incredible views that finally lead you into a small fishing village & a dead end. It's at this point that you wonder what have I booked but trust me that will be your last moment of doubt about this incredible hotel. As soon as you step out of the car you are warmly greeted by hotel staff that speak excellent English & make you feel so welcome. This kind of greeting is matched by all the other staff who make you feel like a part of the family while tending to all your wants & needs at the same time.

The entire stay was faultless. The food was excellent with a great variety of the freshest fruit i've ever tasted for breakfast & an amazing spread for dinner that generally tends to be fish themed (sourced from the village) but the hotel also specially prepared individual meat dishes for my fiancée (who doesn't eat seafood) & then on our final night prepared an incredible Brazilian BBQ.

The excursions were varied & incredible each in their own right. Before arriving i'd looked on the site to get ideas of what i wanted to do during my time & am pleased to say that both the trek in the jungle & day on the hotels private schooner lived up to all expectations allowing us to really take in the whole local area. photos below.

Overall I can't recommend this hotel highly enough, the staff were so thoughtful & caring which was typified by them presenting me with a birthday cake on our final morning without any prompting from my fiancée!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John m
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Me and my wife stood there for three days last June.
The best of the hotel are the pictures from the web page, as it might seem a big and nice hotel but it is not more than a tiny hostel with few rooms.
The swimming pool was filled with some warms that itched when crawling to you, so it cannot be used, the cleaning of the facilities is not appropriate for the price and status that is assumed from the price and hotel characteristics.
The worst part was the lack of electrical power during almost all of our stay, they don’t have even a little power generator to heat the water for the shower. Also, the dinner and breakfast were cold…
Also the indications and excursions offered were terrible, they did not know where to tell us to go.

The management of the hotel, after hearing our complaints, agreed to return us part of the money, but they have not do so, even we have claimed it many times (if somebody from the hotel read this please, reply to my emails as you used to do before we went there)

As a conclusion and having into account the many hotels at the coast from sao Paulo to Rio, I would recommend go somewhere else or just stay in a cheap place. This is a cheap place, even though the price is high.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank enrique v
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at this beautiful hotel with fantastic views over the Picinguaba bay. Beautiful pool, good service, excellent breakfast. At night they include a dinner with live musci that is really remarcable.
Excellent option for someone visiting Paraty.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StephaneMenou
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed at Pousada Picinguaba from December 11th to December 18th 2011 in the 2 best accomodations of the hotel.
The Honeymoon suite, so small that you can't call it suite, no fridge, no phone, no air condition (green philosophy, you will see belo that the philosophy is for guests only), nice view from the room but over the lobby and the kitchen. Fish smell honeymoon....
The Casa Verde, Owners house, outside or property and with 80 steps to get to the pousasa, very good size, non phone, no television and no bath only shower ! what a surprise the bedroom of the owner with air conditionning.....
The philosophy is back to the rules without the extrem communication in order to find again tranquility and well being. Very good but difficult to find it with the works in the house just behind, the whole day from 7am to 5pm.
Good fish and vegetables but nothing to say more
The local peoples was very nice and friendly ! To resume except location wich is very nice nothing really positive. It was one of the badest experience in a hotel during may almost 60 years of travel !!
Horribly expensive !!