“Not at all what I expected”

Royal Jardins Hotel
Ranked #18 of 321 Hotels in Sao Paulo
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Not at all what I expected”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Having seen many glowing reviews on Tripadvisor, I was rather hoping for a better experience than the one I got, here are the bad points.

- Slow check in, albeit we arrived early but there were LOTS of people waiting for check-in
- Dreadful lifts (only 2) which take ages
- Hopeless wifi, painfully slow and intermittently stops working
- Room is TINY, no room to open my case without it interfering with the rest of the layout
- No iron or ironing boards in the entire hotel but you can pay for their 'service', I arrived and needed a shirt ironed for going out to be told it could be around 40 minutes. I don't know what use that is to anyone that it 'could' be ready
- Old fashioned design in the corridors
- Very little noise suppression, hear everything from every angle

As to the good points - well, it is in a decent area and there are a lot of taxis, would not recommend this place though would spend a little more and get far better quality.

Room Tip: Don't specifically ask for a room away from the elevator, as I did this and got one right next t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank monaco7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and overall it was ok but we were disappointed with the service. The room was small but clean and adequate, the bathroom was a good size and nice to have a window in it. The bed was comfortable we had a good night's sleep. We were on the top floor and the lift was very slow. Breakfast was great-a really wide choice of food and lots of fresh fruit. We found the front desk service disappointing. We asked about taxis to the airport and how to walk to a museum and the both times we were almost ignored at the desk and didn't get a satisfactory response. We were also charged an extra 'service charge' although we had not used any 'services' and had paid in full up front. Only when we complained did it get removed from the bill with no further explanation. We had also wanted to use the spa but found it empty of water. Overall reasonable value for money in São Paulo and a good location but poor service.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andreampearson
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

The breakfast is one of the best I've had in SP, the bed is comfortable, the location is great and the service excellent. However, the room is pretty small for Brazilian standards and you can hear a pin drop in the next room, so be prepared to sync your sleep cycle with your neighbors!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank brunsky
royalhoteis, General Manager at Royal Jardins Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Brunsky,

Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback about your stay in our hotel. Your opinion is very important for us.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Lovely welcome to hotel by Fabio. He was very friendly and helpful. This is not a great hotel but I usually stay here because it is reasonably priced (this is hard to find in Sao Paulo). It is well located for my business appointments and easy access to the subway and a small supermarket nearby. The rooms are small and clean, but the walls are thin. I could hear people talking and taking showers in the neighbouring rooms and in the hallway.

The complimentary breakfast was good on the weekday mornings with a nice selection of fresh fruit, good coffee as you would expect in Brazil, toast, etc but on the Sunday they had the worst scrambled eggs I have ever seen at a breakfast buffet! I had one meal in the restaurant – very disappointing. My first choice, spaghetti bolognaise was not available, and I had penne al funghi. It was very salty and although I am not a fussy eater, I found it very bad. I did not want to eat there again. So for me, I would stay again for the convenience of the hotel’s location but choose one of the local eateries nearby for lunch or dinner.

Room Tip: Possibly higher up, to avoid street noise. Not much difference really.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BusyTravellers_12

Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This establishment left a positive lasting impression with me. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. Ian, Barbara and Fabio at the front desk deserve a special mention. it was quite refreshing that they had a good command of English. I was alone in a foreign city but i never felt lost because of their help. The food was great. my only challenge was that the restaurant menu doesnt have a wide selection, which can be routine if you stay for long periods and dont want to eat out. the gym is ok, but can be improved with modern equipment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KellyLoeto

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 25, 2013

After a handful of trips to SP and being rather disappointed with the lodging situation in this city I finally have found a rather decent hotel where I can stay. It is very close from my offices in Av. Paulista, it's surrounded by tons of restaurants...

My only complaint so far is regarding their fitness center. It is very very small. If just two people are in there, it gets uncomfortable...

Room Tip: I tend to stay away from elevators
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Brasilia, DF
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The room is rather small. Breakfast is good. It is a very good option if you want to be near Avenida Paulista. There are plenty of restaurant options in the neighbourhood. Including Starbucks. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo