“Warm reception, nice room, excellent breakfast”

InterContinental Sao Paulo
Ranked #4 of 327 Hotels in Sao Paulo
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed 2 notes on a business stay. Was warmly received. There was a mistake in the booking but the reception worked on it, kept me updated such that the wait didn't seem too long. I was upgraded which might be why I loved the room. Very spacious, excellent bed which really gave me 2 gd notes rest. Long working desk with the necessary power points accessible for my devices. The breakfast has a fairly large range. This being Brazil, there were options that is not usually available elsewhere in the world e.g. Acai Banana. The checkout went smoothly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Mr. eng_lee,

We deeply appreciate your comments about your experiences at our hotel.

We are all happy to know that our front desk staff worked effectively on the mistake booking, that it did not take long to have your room available and an upgraded conceded.

The rooms are spacious with a pleasant atmosphere for a perfect night sleep. The desk work area has a great space for our guests to work comfortably with its own lights.

It is a pleasure to offer the best of Brazil during the restaurant meals and that is why during the breakfast a large range of tropical fruits, fresh juices and great selection of bread available in an atmosphere involved by the pungent smell of freshly grounded coffee.

We look forward to welcoming you again, should your travels bring you back to São Paulo.

Have a great day and thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Other hotels for this price are usually not as good.
I recommend this hotel if you are a foreigner looking for a great location and great service.
The gym is well equipped. Music is a little too loud sometimes.

Other than that, the rooms are clean and the staff is super cool.

They don't have a heated pool and the hotel per se seems to be directed more for business than pleasure. Only thing I didn't like was that the restaurant closes in the afternoon. Not very good if you like to stay late in conversations. But this seems to be a common thing in Brazil.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't get wifi very well. Ask at the reception if you need it!
1  Thank daniegge
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Mrs. daniegge,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

We feel very happy to know that you enjoyed the services provided by our staff, our location and our rooms.

InterContinental São Paulo is located in a very privileged area in the city. We feel very proud to provide a wonderful experience to our guests and we are always looking for different ways to surprise them. Rooms are very comfortable and spacious with a contemporary decor.

On the other hand we feel sorry for not living up to your expectations regarding our prices that are comparable to other hotels in the same category and for our pool. As you mentioned, it is not heated as it is in an open area of our hotel. Tarsila restaurant is closed in the afternoon and reopens at noon daily. It is important to highlight that your comments were forwarded to our management team.

The free Wi-Fi is offered throughout the hotel and speed quality is routinely verified. We have been working diligently to offer a service flawlessly in every single room.

All your comments are very important to tackle areas that require our attention for a perfect experience and that is why we thank you again, Mrs. daniegge, for your review and we hope to welcome you soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. From the moment I arrived, I was treated so very well. The airport car service provided by the hotel was convenient and totally reliable. My partner and I enjoyed the Club Room and all the services provided. I especially was impressed by the staff. Both Agata and Gabriel were incredibly helpful. I truly can't think of anything at this hotel that needs improvement. It was truly a perfect place to stay and located in the best neighborhood. It's peaceful, beautiful and the staff is so friendly. The room was comfortable and quiet. The bar was a wonderful place to have a drink late at night. We will return.

1  Thank corsicus
InterContinentalSP, Gerente at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Mr. corsicus,

We are very thankful to receive such a great review as yours. Thank you for all the compliments regarding our hotel and our staff. Your comments about Agata and Gabriell were forwarded for further recognition among our staff members.
Our team feels very enthusiastic to know that your enjoyed our services from the very first moment in our cars and feel very comfortable to know that you rated the transportation service as a reliable one. That is really essential to provide a great experience while staying with us.
We have thought of every single detail for our guests to feel comfortable in our rooms involved in a very friendly atmosphere. The location is very privileged as guests will be nearby great restaurants, coffee shops and cultural spots. Also, it is important to know that our hotel is handy for the main avenues in the city which makes it easy to commute.
We are happy to know that you appreciated our Godet Bar that provides unique experiences in a very pleasant place with delicious drinks and appetizers.
It will be our pleasure to welcoming you and your partner again in a future opportunity, Mr. corsicus and we want to thank you again for your words.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Intercontinental is a small hotel, elegant but not ostentatious. Excellent gym facility open 24 hours/day; service is excellent, all requests accommodated with grace. Costs more than some hotels, but well worth it. Many restaurants in easy walking distance. I stay in many Intercontinental hotels throughout the world and this is one of the best - no question. Have stayed once before and the staff called me by name when I arrived. Very professional

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Mr. Brownell A,

It is great having your comments shared on TripAdvisor. Thank you!

We are very thankful to know that you enjoy when you stay with us. Your compliments regarding our staff members were forwarded so that we can be proud of the careful service we provide to our guests. It is our honor to know that you feel comfortable atmosphere at InterContinental São Paulo.

We are also very happy to be rated by you as the best InterContinental you have ever experienced. Thank you so much! Comments like yours certainly enthusiasm our team to move forward and provide unforgettable experiences to our guests.

Our entire team is looking forward to seeing again at our hotel. It is our pleasure!

Thank you for choosing us as your lodging option in São Paulo city.

Wishing you well,

InterContinental São Paulo team

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stay in a lot of top hotels and a lot of Intercontinentals (I have an IHG Ambassador card), and feel that this is one of the best: maybe THE best. It's obvious that the hotel is managed in a top and professional way. The staff are absolutely fabulous and go out of their way to make everything work well - they just really get how to look after their guests, how to be friendly but not intrusive; how to call you by name, how to pro-act, etc, etc. I have stayed here several times - the only hotel I use in Sao Paulo - and will always return. Love it, and hope it can stay like this.
DH

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Mr. david h,

At first, we would like to say that we are very thankful for your loyalty. We are deeply proud to be rated by you as the best hotel. Thank you again!

We are also very happy to know that you felt that our staff members go out of their way to provide a very unique experience, an Intercontinental experience. We empower our members to go beyond pursuing the service excellence.

Your comments are really enthusiastic. They were already forwarded to our entire team.

Thank you again, Mr. david h, for your review. It will be an enormous pleasure to seeing you again on your future visit to our city.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I wanted to surprise my girlfriend for our 4th anniversary, so I decided to book one night at the InterContinental Sao Paulo, because I've known the property for a long time and I was aware that this was one of the best in the city.
Hotel has been fully refurbished and has a lot to offer for different types of travellers, even though it is closer to a business property.
When you first walk into the lobby, you will see the concierge desk on your left and the check-in desk on the right. It took me no longer than 05 minutes to check-in. I was pleasantly surprised by the politeness and courtesy of the staff.
As I walked into my room, I got overwhelmed by its size - very large room, bigger than the average in Sao paulo (I booked the Luxo Plus). Bed was really confy with many pillows. You also have a minibar, some snacks/drinks and tea/coffee maker at your disposal. In-room safe as well.
Pretty and large bathroom with L'Occitane amenities, Trussardi towels and a powerful hairdryer (my girlfriend loved it!). Really nice! Tub have hydro - amazing!
Staff even let you know how the weather is going to be on the next day. They leave a card in your room with min./max. temperature and also if it going to be sunny, clouded, etc. Interesting and something that shows how thoughtful the hotel is toward it guests.
Breakfast was something else! The variety of options got me really happy, as I am someone who like to enjoy a good 5* breakfast and eat a little bit of everything. From waffles to pastry made of parma ham and brie cheese, from eggs made-to-order to a great range of bread options, it was all perfect!
I can say that an experience is worth more than a gift sometimes, specially if you are staying at this hotel. I totally recommend it!
I want to give my special thanks to Affonso Larocca (sales manager) who worked to make this perfect! Obrigado!

Room Tip: High floor is always nice here!
1  Thank Deko85
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Mr. Deko85,

Thank you so much for having chosen InterContinental São Paulo to celebrate such a special event with us. We feel deeply proud to know about it.

We also want to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty and for enjoying the hotel services and facilities. Your comments about our staff members were already shared among our entire team for further recognition.

It is amazing to know that you enjoyed the renovation the hotel had been through and that it really pleased you. The hairdryer is something out of this world. Girls just love it!

You are right when you mention that we are thoughtful towards our guests. Every single step we take, we always consider our guests’ satisfaction. The free Wi-Fi Internet access is a great example of that. The e-menu at Tarsila Restaurant is another one. The experience of choosing your favorite dishes and wines is so wonderful and enriching for our guests.

It is awesome to be rated by you as one of the best hotels in the city. We look forward to welcoming you again soon at our hotel.

Thank you again, Mr. Deko85, for your kind words.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Maybe I got unlucky, but I cannot recommend this hotel.

The hotel itself was fine. It is clean, safe, and in perhaps the best area in Sao Paulo. I upgraded to the Executive Club level, and the afternoon tea-evening drinks were decent. Nothing extravagant, but served the purpose as I worked in the lounge for a couple hours. Breakfast was pretty good. Nothing overwhelming, but lots of choice.

I think the above would warrant a solid 3.5 review. Not outstanding, but pretty good, particularly for Brazil.

Issue #1: on Saturday morning, I went down to use the "24 Hour" gym. The gym itself looked reasonably good with lots of equipment for a hotel. However, the staff had closed the gym from 8-10am for cleaning. During peak morning hours?? I was very frustrated as this was my only window of time to use the gym.

Issue #2: when I went to check out, I was quite taken back by the bill. I had been quoted a rate in USD. But they were using an exchange rate of $R2.5 to $1USD, while the spot rate was $R2.25. This resulted in inflating my one night stay by over 10% ... $R100! I complained and the front desk was receptive and gave me a "discount" to reflect the real exchange rate. But if I had been in a hurry and hadn't checked, I surely would have been overcharged.

Both of these issues unfortunately left me with a very unfavorable opinion of an otherwise decent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Fomocolovesu
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Mr. Fomocolovesu,

Thank you for having taken your time to share your recent experiences at InterContinental São Paulo.

We want to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. We feel deeply sorry for not living up to your expectations.

Your comments were already forwarded to our general manager as they are highly important for us to improve our services and procedures in order to provide all InterContiental standards.

Thank you again, Mr. Fomocolovesu, for helping us building a better hotel for our guests.