“Exceptional service & location, fully renovated”

InterContinental Sao Paulo
Ranked #4 of 321 Hotels in Sao Paulo
GreenLeadersGold level
Milan, Italy
“Exceptional service & location, fully renovated”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed in several hotels in Sao Paulo in the past.. but since some years ago I stay always in the Intercontinental usually for business.
Exceptional welcoming and customer Service. Staff always smiling and able (and well trained) to support you.
Free and EASY Internet access for all your devices. Really added value for business.
Rooms: clean & renovated, bathroom fully furnished by L'Occitane and housekeeping support you on additional needs.
Restaurants: Great and complete breakfast, fresh juice, fruits, and pastry. Sophisticated dishes for lunch.
FANTASTIC FITNESS CENTER !!! and terrace with swimming pool.
Exceptional location in Sao Paulo, lot of great Restaurants (Brazilian churrasco, Japanese, Argentinian, Italian) at walking distance.
Close to Oscar Freire Street for promenade & shopping.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Mr. Pablo C,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your experience at InterContinental São Paulo.

It is always a great pleasure for our entire team to welcome you at our hotel. We thank you so much for being our frequent guest and for your loyalty.

We also feel very happy to know that you enjoyed our services, our new refurbished rooms and the free Wi-Fi internet we proudly provide to our guests. We have received some great feedbacks regarding this service.

Tarsila restaurant pastries are made fresh every morning by our amazing pastry chefs. It is amazing to know that you enjoyed the meals served at our restaurant.

Our location is very handy indeed for restaurants, cultural attractions and to the most famous São Paulo city postcard: Paulista Avenue. We suggest that you keep exploring all the delights that this area offers.

Once again, Mr. Pablo C, thank you for your compliments. We are looking forward to seeing you soon at our property.

Best regards,

Juliana Porto
E-commerce Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The service and the cleanliness are up to standard. Most of the staff could speak good english.However, as to the brand, Intercontinental, we had expected more than ordinary hotels. The lobby is more like 3star hotel than intercontinental. We are the fans of Intercon, however, the one in Sao Paolo lowered the value of all intercontinentals in the world.

• Stayed February 2013
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Mrs. stella b,

Thank you for reviewing InterContinental São Paulo hotel.

It is a great joy for us to know that you enjoyed the services provided by our staff and that you got impressed about our staff English level. We feel honored to assist our guests in their own language. It is interesting to know that we can assist our guests in five different languages.

On the other hand, we feel very disappointed for not living up to your expectations and we do apologize for it. Most of our guests love our lobby due to its size that enables a more personal assistance.

Thank you once again, Mrs. stella b, for your comments and we hope that you get to know different InterContinental Hotels world wide and get enchanted by them and their staff as well. It is our passion to help our guests make the most of their stay.

InterContinental São Paulo
London
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Despite staying on Priority Points we were treated in a very curteous way at all times. We were very impressed with all of the staff, check in, bell boy, breakfast and room service. Not just professional but genuinely freindly and nothing a problem.
We found breakfast extensive with good egg chef and excellent fruit and pastries.
Rooms are recently refurbished and a decent size.
Only area that looks like an afterthought is the pool - needs some shade/umbrellas.
As mentioned before the location is great for getting around - would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Mr. PDW1,

We thank you so much for reviewing our hotel and for your loyalty as a Priority Club member.

It was a great pleasure for our team to have had you as our guest. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the services provided by our friendly staff.

We regret we fell short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. We do value the comments we receive from our guests as these help us improve the quality, services and facilities that we offer.

Thank you again, Mr. PDW1, for your comments.

It will be a great joy to welcome you back at InterContinental São Paulo soon.

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had some initial doubts about the InterContinental São Paulo Hotel well before I saw it for the first time, when the hotel driver failed to meet me late at night as I emerged from baggage claim at the airport. I had booked an expensive private airport transfer with the hotel, but its driver was nowhere to be found among the many sign- and iPad-wielders who were meeting passengers, and no one was answering the (apparently daytime) phone number I had for the InterContinental. After 30 or 40 anxious minutes -- it was close to midnight and raining hard, the arrivals area had emptied out, and no taxis were in evidence outside the terminal -- he suddenly showed up, apologizing that he had been chauffeuring other hotel guests from another event. It was not a great start to my São Paulo visit, but it proved to be an anomaly.

Once I got to the hotel, the outlook brightened considerably, even in the middle of the night, as I was given a free upgrade to a luxury suite (with a Jacuzzi). And everything just kept getting better and better as I gradually discovered the delights of a stay in a truly five-star hotel with terrific accommodations, facilities, location, and service.

Among the many positives in my suite were every amenity that might be expected in a luxury hotel, plus turn-down service, a strong free wi-fi signal, ample drawer and closet space, a good work area with a large desk, in-room safe, refrigerator, individual climate control in each room, and a flat-panel TV.

Apart from the comfortable rooms, the service and hotel facilities were also exceptional, including a business center and 24-hour health & fitness room. English is widely spoken among the staff, from the reception clerks to the bellhops, and the concierge is especially helpful with transportation and sightseeing arrangements. The large barroom area provides ample workspace (lots of drink sippers working at their laptops and tablets). and seating is well-designed for informal business and social conversation.

The InterContinental is located in the tony Jardim Paulista district on Alameda Santos, a bustling street with lots of pedestrian traffic in a relatively safe area that is full of shops and restaurants ranging from fast-food (a McDonald’s and a Burger King are nearby) to expensive and elegant. The hotel is close to public transportation and only one block from Avenida Paulista, home to many of Brazil’s leading business, financial, and cultural institutions. And from the hotel, it’s only about a 15-minute walk (albeit somewhat hilly and uneven) to the city’s premier upscale shopping street, Rua Oscar Freire -- well worth the stroll.

As a Priority Club member, on my departure I was offered a free late checkout and a complimentary caipirinha (a popular Brazilian cocktail) in the barroom while I waited for my evening airport transfer. In contrast to my arrival, the return transfer to São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport was right on time, and a (different) hotel driver expertly navigated side streets to avoid rush-hour traffic and got me there quickly.

The InterContinental São Paulo is expensive but worth it, and its pricing is right in line with that of other top hotels in this business-oriented city. My initial airport hassle aside, it will most definitely be my choice whenever my travels take me to São Paulo.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Mr. RonKVA,

Thank you for sharing your experiences as a guest o four hotel. It is only through your feelings and needs that we can remain informed as an opportunity to improve our service level.

At first we would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your arrival at the airport. Surely, we regret we fell short of your expectations.

On the other hand, we feel very proud that we could turn your experiences into positive feelings. We are happy that your enjoyed staying at InterContinental São Paulo as well as the amenities provided during your stay.

It is a great joy for us to know that our facilities were very accommodating during your business travel.

Thank you once again, Mr. RonKVA, for your comments. We really appreciated them all.

We hope to welcome you once again on your next trips to São Paulo.

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 8, 2013

It didn't help this location that we had just arrived here from the Intercontinental in Miami which we thought was awesome. We honestly thought all the Intercontinentals would be the same. WE WERE WRONG! Lets start by saying that we were misinformed by Richardo, the front desk personnel attending to our check-in, when asked about the fees of international calls. He gave us the rate to domestic calls instead. Minutes later he sent us a notice to our room stating my credit card was refusing to accept the charges for the stay. Of course I call my credit card company and they tell me nothing was wrong. The mistake was obviously Intercontinental's. Needless to say that call was over 15 minutes long at about $10 a minute! ...not $1.50 as Richardo had informed us international calls would cost. Furthermore, I tried to go to the pool the next day, but I couldn't get access to the area because my key was not activated. By the time that issue was resolved I no longer had time for the pool. Although our room in Sao Paolo was bigger than the one in Miami (we had a junior suite), the room was a bit outdated. The bathroom was archaic and the jacuzzi was stained and dirty looking. One more thing: the complimentary breakfast is below average. The food tastes like airplane food and the manager present in the restaurant the day I went was rude. He was hostile towards me when I attempted to take my breakfast upstairs and became upset at the friendly staff for allowing me to do so. The positives: the bellboy, Raphael, was great. Not only did he attend to our belongings in a timely manner, but he gave us quick tips (in english!) of where to eat, drink, and dance. The room service was expensive but surprisingly very good. Not only was the food delicious, but it arrived faster than anticipated. The reason I give this hotel an average rating and not a poor one is due to its location, location, location. Its not too far from anything (except the airport but thats mainly due to traffic). Museums, restaurants, bars, stores, parks... everything is at your disposal. OH... and the gym. I did appreciate having 24 hour access to the gym in the property. As for the ridiculous telephone charges, those were taken care of by Gabriel during check-out. He gave us a discount on the long distance calls, and adjusted other minor discrepancies that were found in the bill. He made us rethink our disappointment for this hotel and even consider revisiting it in the future. Hopefully, by then, management has made the proper adjustments needed to make this hotel the top-notch property it has the potential to be.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. gabriel c,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding our hotel.

As our guests’ comments are seriously taken by our staff and we do apologize for the misunderstanding caused by our members during your check-in.

We regret we fell short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay.

We appreciate that you consider visiting us again in the future.

Certainly, Mr. gabriel c, it will be a great opportunity to provide a real InterContinental São Paulo experience.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Aside from the little miscommunication at the start, everything here was fantastic. When I checked in, I had a nice trainee girl check me in. She seemed very nervous, spoke in a script-like manner, as she tried to make sure she said everything. She was friendly, but just needed to relax a little, and slow down when talking. This is where I think it got a bit confusing - while she spoke great English, her nervousness made her talk fast which meant that we got confused on a few things. Firstly, the amount she was about to put on hold on my debit card - note: this is the card I take cash out of, as opposed to my credit card. It was my own fault for not switching cards, but I guess I must have misheard and thought she said only "room amount" (but it was "room amount + 200 per day in incidentals) which was to be put on hold, which meant all my cash for my trip in Sao Paulo was essentially frozen. The guy who helped me out when I realised how much was taken was nice, but also reluctant at first to help - a sort of "sorry there isn't anything we can do", until I pretty much told him what to do to help me out. Again, some more miscommunication as I thought he was about to charge me another R$800 ($400AUD) onto my actual credit card (along with what they'd already held on my debit card). Not the best outcome but it got solved.

Pool is kind of more like a small waist-high wading pool... which is all you really need on a hot day. The bar was nice, the staff were friendly. Gym was pretty good as well. Free wifi was useful - I was surprised that they offered free wifi, so that was a huge bonus. Reception was pretty good, you could pick it up from nearby restaurants which was useful when trying to translate a menu from Portuguese to English.

The location is good, lots of restaurants nearby, close to Ave Paulista, and a train station is close too, though taxis seem to be the way to get around as everything is still spread apart.

The rooms were fantastic, comfortable and quiet. Cannot fault anything there. Staff were very friendly and most, if not all, referred to me by my name (most without having to ask which room I was in - not sure if it was their standard, or if it was because of my little hiccup that they put a note next to my name saying: "REMEMBER THIS GUEST! SHE WAS UNHAPPY ABOUT THE PREAUTHORISATION AMOUNT"). Rafaela and Deborah (I think these were their names) were both extremely helpful, courteous and friendly. Even the trainee that checked me in was really good too (I hope she didn't get in trouble for the misunderstanding!!!). All staff are multi-lingual which was great as my Portuguese is severely lacking, only the real basics as this was a last minute trip.

I would definitely stay here again, this is one of the few 5 star hotels that really provide true service, and have a great attitude.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Mrs. chloeisacat,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experiences as a guest of our hotel.

We do apologize for the misunderstanding at your check-in. It is only through your comments that we can remain informed about our guests’ needs and feelings.

We consider your valuable comments as a great opportunity to improve our services and better guide our staff members. We have already forwarded your comments regarding Rafaela and Debora to our human resources department for further handling. Certainly our trainee will not get in trouble for the misunderstanding.

We feel happy to notice that your overall experience was very positive. It is great to know that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms and facilities, our friendly staff and our location.

We thank you once again, Mrs. Chloeisacat, for your comments and it will be our pleasure to welcome you soon at InterContinental São Paulo.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 14, 2013

It was a bitter disappointment. I had great expectations, given all the favorable reviews on TripAdvisor. But the air conditioning didn't work (and it was about 30C outside), the whirlpool wasn't big enough for two people, and the shower area was minuscule. I didn't really mind the size of the whirlpool and shower area (although that was odd for a supposedly romantic hotel), but the lack of air conditioning was a big issue. When I complained about it they moved me to a room upstairs. The air conditioning still didn't work properly and, on top of that, the TV remote didn't work and THERE WAS A BIG WATER LEAK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM! It was nothing short of outrageous: the rate was eight times higher than that of an Ibis hotel and yet they gave me a room with no proper air conditioning and a water leak! That did it -- I called another hotel and decided to move out. I am not a picky guest: I wasn't asking for Egyptian cotton or French truffles, all I wanted was air conditioning and no water leaks! Any budget hotel offers you that for much less.

The staff tried to talk me out of leaving, but at that point -- 2 am, after a particularly exhausting day -- I was not in my best mood and I decided not to give them another chance. It also bothered me that they couldn't get their story straight: the front desk told me that my case was a first and that they were surprised, but the maintenance guys told me in private that many other rooms were experiencing air conditioning problems and that management was well aware of it. Finally, it also bothered me that they asked me not to report anything on TripAdvisor (the name of the employee who asked that was Maestá).

To be fair, they offered to give me a free night if I stayed there for the entire period of the reservation (about a week). Also, in the few hours I stayed there I ordered some food and it was pretty good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thiagomarzagao
InterContinentalSP, Manager at InterContinental Sao Paulo, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Mr. thiagomarzagao,

We deeply apologize for everything you reported on your review. Certainly, this is not the level of service we are used to providing to our guests. Our team is whole-heartedly sorry for the misunderstandings among our team communication and the maintenance problems occurred during your stay that is now solved to prevent another isolated incident like yours from happening.

Our General Manager has received your comments and we are making all the efforts possible to improve our services so we can guarantee all InterContiental standards.

Thank you again, Mr. thiagomarzagao, we really appreciate whenever our guests write about their stay because this is the only way to know about our guests’ needs and feelings and it strengths our service quality.

Your comments were seriously taken and shared among our team to help us improve our guests' experience.