“republica”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“republica”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Full of homeless and hippies selling their stuff. Place is dirty and smelly.
The place looks sketchy and you must keep an eye on your belongings all the time.

Visited May 2012

• Indonesian first
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“I've worked in the preserved building the Square has”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The only think it has is this old school, which is now a branch of the State's Education Departmnet. The square is very badly maintained. You could spend 5 minutes to say you visited it, no more. Somewhat good view of the Italy building

London, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Sprawling Sunday Market Good for Shopping & International Food Vendors”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I arrived via metro (Republic Station) on a Sunday to visit the Italian Building nearby, to get a panoramic look at Sao Paulo, and was pleased to discover this Sunday Market. I spent about 3 hours wandering around and taking photographs and video. There were small bands of street performers, and small groups of Brazilian dancers to entertain you. The central part of the market sold all the usual street market objects, tee shirts, clothes, jewelry etc. There is a large arts and crafts section, laid out like an art, as well as a huge international food vendor area. This is the area that's buzzing with life, and was great to wander around.

On the opposite side of the park it was a bit more mellow and chilled, and there were homeless people sleeping in the bandstands, but as a girl traveling on my own, I felt perfectly safe here on a Sunday. The market was packed with families and children, and there was a really relaxed atmosphere.

The vibe here is really good, and I'd recommend visiting here, and then heading off to the Italian Building for a view of the city from a different perspective.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jay A
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Daytime Only”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

One of the more interesting squares in the centre of Sao Paulo, but now mainly office buildings. The elegant old mansion blocks of Avenida Sao Luis are beautiful. Suggest to visit during the day as the square has it's fair share of users - not so safe at night ;-)

Visited July 2012
2 Thank goldmathmos
Suitland, Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Worth the trip if you're an art lover”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I walked over an hour to the park because I desperately wanted original artwork from local artists. While the Square itself is trashy and dirty, the vendors are respectful and wonderful. The Square had tons of local artists, I mean TONS. It was nearly art overload and I wish I could have taken them all home. The food side of the Square was so crowded and trashy that I didn't even bother to take a look so I stayed with the arts vendors. I found all of my souvenirs and wasn't scared to use my credit card for those vendors that accepted credit. I figure, this is the 21st century and if my account is robbed I can always get the money back because the bank is insured. Best day to go is on Sunday.

Visited September 2012